Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2012 GT FRPP Handling pack adjustable versus non-adjustable

Search this Thread

Old 9/29/12, 06:51 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
2012 GT FRPP Handling pack adjustable versus non-adjustable

I recently picked up a 2012 Brembo GT. I was going to wait a while before I changed anything but the stock suspension is very bouncy. I was looking at the FRPP handling pack. I went here to search for reviews and found very good reviews for the adjustable version. I have always lowered my cars with complete suspension but never felt that adjustable suspension was needed. Is there a big difference? Is it worth the extra money?
Old 9/30/12, 12:40 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it's worth the money. Especially if you like to go to autox or road courses in your fun time like me. Adjustable is always better in those cases so you can dial in your car to react to your inputs the way you want. That way you can figure out just how you want it to react.
Old 9/30/12, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Adj. pack is not a whole lot extra over the non-adjustable pack.
IMO better to have the option to make adjustments if you want than not be able.

I have the Adj. Pack on my car and recommend it.
Either way the stock ride is too bouncy like you mention and either pack will be a huge improvement.
Old 9/30/12, 08:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Go adjustable...it's about $200 more...so you're looking at $25 a corner for that feature...not that bad :-)
In fact, I have my sights on that kit as we speak.

Last edited by magnido45; 9/30/12 at 08:09 AM.
Old 9/30/12, 08:02 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by magnido45
Go adjustable...it's about $200 more...so you're looking at $25 a corner for that feature...not that bad :-)
In fact, I have my sights on that kit as we speak.
$50 per corner*
Old 9/30/12, 08:18 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jonny88
$50 per corner*
lol
Old 9/30/12, 08:18 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
What is the cheapest reputable source for the FRPP handling pack?
Old 9/30/12, 10:30 PM
Cobra R Member

Lol, i worked in sales for many years. $50 dollars a wheel convinced me. I didn't need much convincing to be honest. I was looking at this site. I found a reference on this forum for it.
http://fordracingparts123.com/index....oducts_id=1238
Old 9/30/12, 10:36 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I bought mine for 1350.00 but if you are paying for shipping prepared to get raped because 180 lbs shipping cost me 185.00 I see that ad says free shipping on 1500.00 orders, so you might want to buy some gears or something, that way you actually get something for your money and not just throw it away on shipping charges.

Last edited by 11SHELBYGT500; 9/30/12 at 10:39 PM.
Old 10/1/12, 11:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jonny88
$50 per corner*
Thanks for the correction ...can't believe I was in accounting for 5 years ...
Old 10/1/12, 11:37 PM
Cobra R Member

I am convinced about the adjustable handling pack. Have any of you used the 5300 k spring for the 1.5 inch drop instead of the 1 inch drop? I am considering getting this springs instead. Is the ride really that much worse? All of my cars have been lowered for the past 20 years and I never really had a problem with comfort. Some of what I have read here about the 1.5" drop has made me nervous. I have read about it rubbing the wheel well and just being way too uncomfortable. Any opinions?
Old 10/2/12, 10:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V
I am convinced about the adjustable handling pack. Have any of you used the 5300 k spring for the 1.5 inch drop instead of the 1 inch drop? I am considering getting this springs instead. Is the ride really that much worse? All of my cars have been lowered for the past 20 years and I never really had a problem with comfort. Some of what I have read here about the 1.5" drop has made me nervous. I have read about it rubbing the wheel well and just being way too uncomfortable. Any opinions?
I spent some time last week reading all about the 1.5" drop. I googled it...sorry, I don't have the source available right now, but Ford Racing said that the 1.5" drop was purely for looks...and they said that the 1.5" drop suffered in ride quality as compared to the 1" drop.
Old 10/2/12, 01:24 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1" drop and adjustable struts...you can't go wrong with that combo.
Old 10/3/12, 06:59 PM
Cobra R Member

Thanks! I think you are right. I appreciate everyone's input. I am going to order the kit with the one inch drop. Thanks ALL!
Old 10/4/12, 01:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks! I think you are right. I appreciate everyone's input. I am going to order the kit with the one inch drop. Thanks ALL!
Don't forget pics w/ a review
Old 10/4/12, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Overboost
1" drop and adjustable struts...you can't go wrong with that combo.
Is there an icon for a partial agreement?

Only reason why I partially agree is because (and this is just my opinion) suspension kits should be purchased based on defined goals. Are you a weekend warrior? Do you just want looks? Are you actually road racing your car in a competitive setting?
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...f-performance/

The FRPP handling pack is a very basic entry-level kit that I actually thought about purchasing. The adjustability feature is more than just a gimic, but do you really need it? Will you actually be able to safely adjust the damper to optimal road conditions and driving intent? $200 is nothing to sneeze at. If you plan to go weekend racing, you'd get more for your money by buying a non-adjustable setup that is pre-tuned for the spring length+rate and using the money saved for a 4-link kit (Watts). Driver mods would be more beneficial at that stage than being able to adjust the damper.

Have you thought about a basic tuned shock and strut set?
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...225&ModelID=35

You could get the above kit and then spend the money saved on removing the rear wheel hop. If you do plan to race, you'll need custom valved racing shocks with reservoirs like the Vorshlag Mustang. It might be better to get the cheaper kit now to reduce the dive and squat, ride it out for 100k, and save the money for a full race setup later.

In the end it's what you want and the above parameters are just my personal thought processes.
Old 10/4/12, 04:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by rmswins
The FRPP handling pack is a very basic entry-level kit.
Dude...it's the same kit that's found on the Shelby GT350...Ford doesn't put anything basic on this car.
Old 10/4/12, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by magnido45
Dude...it's the same kit that's found on the Shelby GT350...Ford doesn't put anything basic on this car.
Good catch, I should have left off the words "very basic". A better way I could have described it would be, "entry-level when compared against other aftermarket suspension options".

I think I used the word "basic" to shortcut the idea that car manufacturers, even on niche builds (and with the exception of homologation builds), try to design for the widest appeal. I guess that kind of proves your point though. I just wanted to give cheaper options that may accomplish the same task
Old 10/5/12, 03:42 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rmswins
Is there an icon for a partial agreement?

Only reason why I partially agree is because (and this is just my opinion) suspension kits should be purchased based on defined goals. Are you a weekend warrior? Do you just want looks? Are you actually road racing your car in a competitive setting?
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...f-performance/

The FRPP handling pack is a very basic entry-level kit that I actually thought about purchasing. The adjustability feature is more than just a gimic, but do you really need it? Will you actually be able to safely adjust the damper to optimal road conditions and driving intent? $200 is nothing to sneeze at. If you plan to go weekend racing, you'd get more for your money by buying a non-adjustable setup that is pre-tuned for the spring length+rate and using the money saved for a 4-link kit (Watts). Driver mods would be more beneficial at that stage than being able to adjust the damper.

Have you thought about a basic tuned shock and strut set?
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...225&ModelID=35

You could get the above kit and then spend the money saved on removing the rear wheel hop. If you do plan to race, you'll need custom valved racing shocks with reservoirs like the Vorshlag Mustang. It might be better to get the cheaper kit now to reduce the dive and squat, ride it out for 100k, and save the money for a full race setup later.

In the end it's what you want and the above parameters are just my personal thought processes.
My rationale was simple; an adjustable set, although it costs more, is a suitable replacement for the stock system and can cater to anyone. You don't have to track the car to appreciate it, and those who do a variety of driving are never at a disadvantage because of their suspension setup. Want to go to the drag strip? Dial the rears up and fronts down. Want to track it? Turn them up all the way. Daily driving? Make it as stiff as you feel comfortable with for day to day use.

People that are going to turn the car into total race cars will find a more tailored solution, so this isn't the be-all-end-all for racers, but it provides a good variety of settings for the vehicle at a good price.

The FRPP shocks & struts are Tokico D-Spec dampers with a unique valving set up from Ford Racing. I've heard from several engineers and owners that the non-adjustable dampers are a bit stiff for daily driving, but are decent on a road course. Then again, YMMV.
Old 10/6/12, 03:01 AM
Bullitt Member

I went with the the K springs/non adjustables/gt 500 mounts. Actual drop on mine was 1.75" rear and 1.25" front which somewhat eliminated the rake from the stance. Drive is firm but not at all uncomfortable or bouncy, GL man

Quick Reply: 2012 GT FRPP Handling pack adjustable versus non-adjustable