Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2011 V6 Mustang: Near Future, Bargain High Performance Piece?

Search this Thread

Old 7/31/08, 03:25 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kingfish
I'd read the next Mustang could have the turbo V6 out of the Lincoln MKZ. I don't recall if the power would be the same, but it's going to have to be competitive with the 300hp V6 Camaro at any rate. I think a boosted Six in the 270-280hp range could be lotsa fun - with that kind of power I'd be a customer for another V6 car vs dropping the extra Ks for a V8.
I think you missed something, the 3.5 turbo V6 is going to have at least 340 HP, probably more.
Ford will also have a DI version of the NA 3.7 in about a year with clost to 300 HP.
Old 8/1/08, 09:22 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tacbear
The NON boosted 3.5 V6 will be close to 270hp, the EcoBoost V6 should be north of 340hp!
Originally Posted by V10
I think you missed something, the 3.5 turbo V6 is going to have at least 340 HP, probably more.
Ford will also have a DI version of the NA 3.7 in about a year with clost to 300 HP.
Thanks guys.

Aha, now I remember. The article I read said the turbo 3.5 would have more power than the current GT's 4.6 and could be an option for the future GT, but from a marketing standpoint they felt Mustang buyers wanted a V8 and wouldn't go for a boosted Six. (I guess they forgot about the Buick Grand National/GNX?) I think a turbo V6 with 340hp would be a blast, and I wouldn't bother with a V8. For that matter, a 300hp NA six sounds good too, and is a nice step up from the 210hp I have now.
Old 8/1/08, 09:46 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It's not that mustang buyers wouldn't like a boosted six...

Its the fact that they don't want it to replace the conventional V8 GT.

Now..with the V8 coming in with 400+hp, and being less complicated (and mtl cheaper) than the V6TT... is it worth having a more expensive engine, with less HP ... and pissing off the v8 crowd threatening to replace the engine.
Old 8/1/08, 10:50 AM
MSP
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think more critical than what engine is placed in the next Mustang, is how long before the big 4 American Automakers are forced into bankruptcy then into non-existence.. With Congress going on vacation without passing an energy bill, its not looking too good.

Now of course, I am sure Ford has no intention of pissing off its massive base of V8 Mustang owners. So come hell or high water, you will get your V8.. Even if the absolute survival of the company rest in more efficient engine designs, which are lighter with less moving parts, but produce equal or greater HP and TQ per liter, using less fossil energy.

If there has to be a choice between a 5.0L V8 or a TTV6, most rational people who would like for Ford to continue their tradition of innovation, would opt for the TTV6.

However, its becoming patently clear that the vast majority of Mustang owners are not willing to view things through the lens of a rationality. If the V8 sounds better, well by golly give them the V8. We will be forced to cancel all of our retiree pension plans, leaving them homeless. However, our customers demand the mighty sound of a V8.