Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2011 Mustang GT - how many got the Navi?

Search this Thread

Old 10/14/10, 09:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Driver72

I'm happy you are happy that you made the decision you did. But to tell others to ignore the "worth" it argument and just go ahead and get it just because they can afford it, just isn't the best financial or wisdom advice when it comes to whether the entertainment package is worth it on the Mustang.
Remind me again...are we talking about those "financially smart" purchases of Mustangs or an economic Hyundai Excel?

You're lecturing me about the "financial wisdom" of not buying an electronics package that costs 2 grand in a 30 grand brand new Mustang?

I'm sorry...but if you want to argue "financial sound decisions", then buying a Mustang shouldn't even be in that discussion. You should go buy a used Hyundai Excel. THAT is financial sound decisions in terms of purchasing a car.

If somebody can't afford the electronics package, then they shouldn't spend the money. But don't lecture me about what is "financially sound" when in reality, spending money on a Mustang is a sink hole for those dollars. Making a "financial sound" decision is not what convinced me to buy a Mustang or add to add a $15 dollar a month option into that plan. I bought one because I wanted one. I didn't need it, and I sure as hell ain't making an investment in it.

Last edited by db2797; 10/14/10 at 09:50 PM.
Old 10/14/10, 10:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by db2797
Remind me again...are we talking about those "financially smart" purchases of Mustangs or an economic Hyundai Excel?

You're lecturing me about the "financial wisdom" of not buying an electronics package that costs 2 grand in a 30 grand brand new Mustang?

I'm sorry...but if you want to argue "financial sound decisions", then buying a Mustang shouldn't even be in that discussion. You should go buy a used Hyundai Excel. THAT is financial sound decisions in terms of purchasing a car.

If somebody can't afford the electronics package, then they shouldn't spend the money. But don't lecture me about what is "financially sound" when in reality, spending money on a Mustang is a sink hole for those dollars. Making a "financial sound" decision is not what convinced me to buy a Mustang. I bought one because I wanted one. I didn't need it, and I sure as hell ain't making an investment in it.
OK, man, you need to just give this up and get past it.

I never said getting the electronics package was "financial sound". I never said buying a Mustang is "financially sound"
Buying nearly ANY car is not financially sound if you want to get into it, but a 4th grader knows that a Hyundai Excel surely is not the best choice even if you DID want to try to buy a car that is financially sound.
But if you do want some financially sound advice here's one:
Buy what appreciates, rent what depreciates.

Not many cars appreciate in value, so again, buying nearly ANY car is not a financially sound thing to do.

What I did say is the cost to value ratio of the electronics package is not great. Again never said it was "financially sound" at any price. But clearly to you the value was worth $2,500.
To me and the majority of Mustang buyers, it's not.

As for the Mustang, the value for me was that I get a lot of performance, the great V8 sound and feel, as well as memories of my early 5.0's for the price I paid. It wasn't a "financially sound" decision, it was a value per cost decision. And in case you didn't know, the 2011 Mustang GT is about the best bang for the buck in the new car auto market there is. That makes it a great value for what you get (if performance is what you want). And that's what I wanted.

Now can you just accept that for most they chose, in part, not to get the electronics package for the cost to value ratio reason and for you and some others it's value was worth $2,500, and that's fine. Not sure why you are so upset that I (like the majority) feel that way and expressed that to someone here who asked in his original post? Just move on if you disagree, you won't "win" trying to convince me it's "worth" $2,500 and I sure as hell am not trying or interested in trying to convince you it's not, since for you it was. Again, move on.

Last edited by Driver72; 10/14/10 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10/14/10, 10:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by eurocobra
NOT TRUE...obviously you know very little about the system. Besides I do not want a portable nav unit or iphone as a navigation device. 9 out of 10 times you have to reduce the car's audio volume to hear a portable device or turn the volume up loud. The screen size is no comparison. I also may want to use my phone via bluetooth while I drive and I do not want to rely on the same device for navigation. Imagine that scenario if it can even do it........hold on.....one minute........let me call you back. The small devices (Magellin, TomTom) always have to be hidden and re-mounted, hidden and re-mounted. Or risk having the glass smashed when a thief comes to steal it.

Just want to clear something here.
You don't need the electronics package to have bluetooth.
You can talk on the phone and use it for a nav device if you choose. That's an easy thing on an iphone and probably other smart phones.

I don't know how many people jam their stereos while they are listening to their Nav give directions anyway, so not sure what your argument is with the portable devices volume.
Plus you can always plug in the ear piece to hear perfectly fine.

And also, if you are lost and needing to listen or watch for directions on even a 7" nav screen, how many people hold conversations on their phone or bluetooth at the same time too?
If you do that, I hope I'm driving no where near you.
Driving while in an unfamiliar area, trying to watch and listen for directions, while talking on the phone (and/or listening to your stereo too). Wow talk about a distracted and dangerous driver.

You talk about hidden then remounted, hidden and remounted, hidden and remounted for the portable devices.
Do you get lost a lot?
Unless you are a traveling salesperson or have a job that takes you to many parts of a area in a 100 mile radius you are not familiar with, it's not like you have to mount and hide the magellan on a daily basis.

Most know where they are going 98% of the time in and around the areas they live.
It's not hard to pull the thing out on the occasional occasion you need directions, punch in the address and let it guide you.
Then remove it when you get there.
I use my Magellan about once every 3-4 weeks at most.
I'd wager that's more the norm than people who do have portable nav systems that use them on a daily basis.

Last edited by Driver72; 10/14/10 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10/14/10, 10:55 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by RandyW
Providing you have a smart phone. Not everyone does. Some people have simple phones that don't support all those things. Believe it or not, there are even people who don't use a cell phone at all. I'm one of them.
And there are people who still use paper maps - I'm one of them
Old 10/14/10, 10:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by born2run74
And there are people who still use paper maps - I'm one of them
As long as you don't drive with it across your lap and your head down, more power to you.
Old 10/15/10, 06:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky
As long as you don't drive with it across your lap and your head down, more power to you.
So thats why they have hot lil navigators in all the old movies !!
oh wait you said Your head down !! nevermind
Old 10/15/10, 01:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rodmoe
So thats why they have hot lil navigators in all the old movies !!
oh wait you said Your head down !! nevermind

I know how to read a map, and fly an airplane at the same time. For flying I have a handy kneeboard (a little clipboard that straps to your leg) for keeping your maps and info all organized -- the difference is that while you are flying an airplane there is very little chance of the person 25' in front of you slamming on the brakes when you happen to be glancing down.

But I'm not for doing that while trying to drive your car. I've been rear-ended by someone reading and driving once already...
Old 10/15/10, 02:09 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Its really just personal preference guys.

The argument that it does the same thing as my iphone and magellan doesn't fly either. A civic "does the same thing" as our Mustangs and they are more cost effective too. Sometimes its more important HOW someting works more than just WHAT it does.

And for me the $1700 or so for having a huge, customizable, integrated screen w/ movie listings, sports scores, nav, etc. was well worth it. I don't want suction cups and wire all over the place in my $30+k sports car
Well Said!!!

I have the nav in my '10 F150, and I wasn't going to get the Mustang without it...

That big screen comes in handy - for some of us in the 50+ age range the old eyes aren't what they once were...
Old 10/15/10, 03:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

I spent a lot of sleepless nights trying to decide to Nav or not. Finally I went with the Nav. When I was in the USA with the car I really like the way it worked and was very happy with it.

Pros

1. The Nav works good and looks good in the car. Lots of features and easy to use.

Cons

1. The Nav maps suck. My 450.00 Tom Tom has maps for almost the entire planet and talks in over 20 languages. For 2300.00 you would think the Nav would also.

2. No Sub woofer

3. Camera in spoiler is foolish. Some people change the factory spoiler or don't want one at all.

Overall I like it, but it would not have been a deal breaker if I didn't have it because of the cons.

Last edited by Big Poppa; 10/15/10 at 03:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10/15/10, 05:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just move on if you disagree, you won't "win" trying to convince me it's "worth" $2,500 and I sure as hell am not trying or interested in trying to convince you it's not, since for you it was. Again, move on.
Ditto...just move on if you disagree....you always quote me first and tell me how the nav is "not worth it" everytime these threads come up. I don't reply to you initially...you always reply to me as if I'm your target when I express how I love the NAV and think it's worth the money.

So move on if you disagree.
Old 10/15/10, 11:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by db2797
Ditto...just move on if you disagree....you always quote me first and tell me how the nav is "not worth it" everytime these threads come up. I don't reply to you initially...you always reply to me as if I'm your target when I express how I love the NAV and think it's worth the money.

So move on if you disagree.
Dude I don't even know who you are.
I don't even know I've ever quoted you in any other posts.
You are the one who is saying, "every time these threads come up I quote you, blah blah."
if you recognize or memorize my username from another post, then you are putting a lot more time and energy into it than I ever am.

I couldn't tell you about any other posts you've ever made, but apparently you know of mine.
I am not "targeting" you in any way shape or form.
I just responded to one of your posts here in this thread and you got upset and so forth.
I have too many other things to do than to worry about what posts you've made in other threads and whether or not I've responded to one of your posts more than once.
I'd think my responses would not be that important to you for you to memorize or remember one or two of my prior posts from threads, what, weeks or months ago?

Let it be already.
Old 10/16/10, 01:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Dude I don't even know who you are.
I don't even know I've ever quoted you in any other posts.
You are the one who is saying, "every time these threads come up I quote you, blah blah."
if you recognize or memorize my username from another post, then you are putting a lot more time and energy into it than I ever am.

I couldn't tell you about any other posts you've ever made, but apparently you know of mine.
I am not "targeting" you in any way shape or form.
I just responded to one of your posts here in this thread and you got upset and so forth.
I have too many other things to do than to worry about what posts you've made in other threads and whether or not I've responded to one of your posts more than once.
I'd think my responses would not be that important to you for you to memorize or remember one or two of my prior posts from threads, what, weeks or months ago?

Let it be already.
Dude just go get the nav system so you can find your way to where you need to go and get off of this forum. Wait you are the guy with the Hide-a-Magellin and iphone that does it all and nav system in two other vehicles so you cannot be lost. Just poking fun.

Seriously this is an open discussion and there are pros and cons about the nav system. Some of us chose it and some not and that is acceptable. It seems most opted not to get the nav system as you mentioned earlier. But for many different reasons including the price and also due to many simply know very little about the system's features. I still show people how to use SYNC and I am simply amazed that most have no clue of how it operates or have never tried to use it. I also have seen where people tried to voice control CDs and complain that the system does not work at all. So why would they get the more involved electronics package?

How does the nav system in your other vehicle(s) compare to the system offered in the mustang?

Last edited by eurocobra; 10/16/10 at 02:02 AM.
Old 10/16/10, 06:51 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by eurocobra
For what it's worth, I got the Nav/Electronics package. I am in Europe where there is no nav coverage and I still wanted the touch screen option. It is still worth having for me and daytime or at night it is by far a nicer TOUCH to the interior.

I posted these videos before and now once again for the un-informed.

Voice control nav:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0DS_...eature=channel

This one shows the features in greater detail:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhfaT...eature=related

Travel Link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtIrQ...eature=related

Rear view camera:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-4ZH...eature=channel

I will take this over a Garmin/iPhone any day of the week. No plugs or cables necessary.

The nav system will change along with the gauge cluster for daylight/night display modes.
Have you fixed your NAV? Here in Sweden nobody could help me
Old 10/16/10, 09:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Enator
Have you fixed your NAV? Here in Sweden nobody could help me

Yes I have mine fixed. I had to use this: Clarion NP509E.

Follow this thread: https://themustangsource.com/f803/up...1/#post5962275

And the guys in Sweden could not help?
http://www.carperformance.se/index.p...&id=1&Itemid=7
Old 10/16/10, 10:21 AM
GT Member

No they said untill now nobody here in Sweden have been able to fix it.
Old 10/17/10, 12:59 PM
SD6
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Was gonna chip in my 2 cents, but RedWings said exactly what I was going to post, and he did it word for word.

Originally Posted by RedWings
I got it.
I love it.
It is worth it for me.
Redwings - get out of my brain!