Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2011 Mustang GT - how many got the Navi?

Search this Thread

Old 10/12/10, 11:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by SVTJayC
You won't have anything hanging from your windshield, but you'll mount that horrible 80's electronics passport control unit on your dash?
Sorry, I don't see it being as ugly as something like the Valentine V1 (looks like Smokey and the Bandit era, almost makes me think it has vacuum tubes in it).

It should fit quite nicely below the climate controls.

Not to mention that it would be much harder to steal than a windshield mount (especially in a convertible).

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 10/12/10 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10/12/10, 11:57 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have it and I love it. Hard to drive the wifes tundra without it. Perhaps I can talk her into an f150 next time around.
Old 10/12/10, 12:47 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Navi

My last 3 cars have had factory navigation - 300C, F150 and now the GT/CS. My opinion, which is all that matters to me, is that I like having it very much. It's there if I need it, I don't have wires that won't tuck away neatly from a TomTom, etc., and I appreciate the touch screen (something the '06 300C didn't have). I have also uploaded some personal pictures (has to be a certain format) to the Navi of family, etc., and that is nice to have. If in park, you can watch a DVD (have done so at rest areas when I know I need some sleep and have to unwind from the road). If you want it, get it and don't look back. If I didn't want the Nav, I wouldn't have it and that would be OK by me. As long as there's options offered on cars (and anything else for sale for that matter), there'll be healthy debate and, you know, there's no wrong answer if you get what *you* want.
Old 10/12/10, 03:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess there are Pros and Cons for every option but the real key word is OPTION. I realize that the Electronics Package is not for everyone (price/necessity/no idea about such devices). But I would not agree that it's not worth it because it is worth every penny if this an option you desire. A $299 TomTom/Garmin/Navigon/iPhone navi device cannot compare to the multi-media interface provided by the Electronics Package/Nav system as it is seamlessly integrated throughout the center console and vehice. It definately gives the vehicle a more upscale look to go with the world class functions. See how the interior with nav/non-nav compares to some of the best designed interiors.

Give me the Electronics Package since we want to play on the track with the Euro cars lets play with tech toys as well. I also prefer the touch screen over the joy stick iDrive interface.

Last edited by eurocobra; 10/12/10 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10/12/10, 05:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

Probably will be changing my 5.0 when the new generation 'Stangs hit the showroom floors comes ( hoping) 2013 , so i didn't see the need for the nav. Besides i'm driving my car once or twice a week when i have time, and when it's nice out.
Old 10/12/10, 05:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I sure would prefer a touch screen over the Idrive in my 5 series.... That's for sure.
Old 10/12/10, 06:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

i was on the fence about it.. thought the EXACT same thoughts everyone else has posted..
"i can use my phone, garmin, etc.. "
decided to get it, and think it was totally worth it.. saved my *** alot of times, dont have to constantly try to hear my phone GPS over wind noise, radio..

look at it this way.. alot of standard features you see on cars today were OPTIONS just 5- 10 years ago.. PW, PDL, A/C, 4 wheel disk brakes, ABS, Tractioncontrol, how long do you think (with the way technology is today) that every car will have some sort of touch screen/nav display in every model standard?
Old 10/12/10, 06:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by db2797
I bought the nav and absolutely love it. If you really want it, don't let others convince you otherwise. I almost didn't get it because people here had pretty much talked me out of it with so many having negative things to say about it. At the last minute I decided the hell with it, and ordered it with it. I'm VERY glad I did. The argument you're going to hear over and over is "it isn't worth the money". If you can afford it, and the cost is not an issue, then completely ignore that argument.
Old 10/13/10, 10:08 AM

I have the electronics package and happy with it. For me the two main factors in getting it were the dual-zone climate control (yes I am spoiled) and not wanting a third part dash-mount GPS in the car for long trips.

When I went shopping for a 2010 left-over, I found two cars with a color combo and features I wanted. One had the Shaker 1000 and the one I purchased had the electronics package. I am satisfied that I made the correct choice for me given the two options.
Old 10/13/10, 11:38 AM

The Ford Nav with Travel link is now so good, and so integrated with Sync that IMO its worth every penny.
Old 10/13/10, 12:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

My only complaint is that it needs a way to save routes, or have more waypoints. :/ It's a little troubling when you want to go the back way along a maze of country roads, some of which aren't marked well.
Old 10/13/10, 12:19 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Lancel
My only complaint is that it needs a way to save routes, or have more waypoints. :/ It's a little troubling when you want to go the back way along a maze of country roads, some of which aren't marked well.
I totally agree. If someone is going on a long scenic road trip it would be nice to program routes (not just destinations) for the whole trip, before you ever leave the driveway. When you are touring you don't always want the quickest route.
Old 10/14/10, 09:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Just to clarify... You get navigation, weather, traffic, iPod integration, stocks, etc on sync equipped vehicles without the electronics package. You don't need a garmin on the window. Hell, when I'm in the office or at home, you can use map quest and google maps to find something or plan a route or trip and choose "send to sync" so when you get in the car, it's waiting for you. It even displays the arrows on the head unit for turns. Again, the electronics package gives you a touch screen and dual climate control.
Old 10/14/10, 10:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
... and 10GB of hard disk space for music/picture storage and graphical display for track information including cover art and graphical maps with available traffic and menu display for voice menus and...
Old 10/14/10, 11:03 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by jmatero
Just to clarify... You get navigation, weather, traffic, iPod integration, stocks, etc on sync equipped vehicles without the electronics package. You don't need a garmin on the window.
Providing you have a smart phone. Not everyone does. Some people have simple phones that don't support all those things. Believe it or not, there are even people who don't use a cell phone at all. I'm one of them.
Old 10/14/10, 12:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jmatero
Just to clarify... You get navigation, weather, traffic, iPod integration, stocks, etc on sync equipped vehicles without the electronics package. You don't need a garmin on the window. Hell, when I'm in the office or at home, you can use map quest and google maps to find something or plan a route or trip and choose "send to sync" so when you get in the car, it's waiting for you. It even displays the arrows on the head unit for turns. Again, the electronics package gives you a touch screen and dual climate control.
That's right many of the features are available on the non-nav model including turn by turn directions to destinations. Just have a look at the photos in post 44 above and notice some of the more significant appearance differences. Both are nice and share many features but differ considerably.

Additionally the touch screen interface nav system includes a 10GB solid state hard drive where you can rip CDs and it will display album art, DVD player, large button telephone display, climate control, ability to upload photos, multi view map overlay, layout of Sirius Travel Link icons displayed in a selection formation, ability to read/adjust climate settings, displays more text at any point, a full screen display of the rear camera image, address book for phone has a nicer name search selection menu, system info is displayed nicer, no phone calls or downloading info for navigation routes because there is 30GB allocated on the hard drive for navi map data, the system is 10 times more configurable overall and very intuitive. You cannot expect to get such an option for $250-$400. We should all continue to be a more informed consumer and select the nav option if you want the features rather than argue on a forum that a portable nav unit is an equal alternative like some members have done.

I recommend to anyone who is considering the Electronics Package to learn the system's features and how they work and test out functionality on a dealer's show vehicle.

Technology......just think a tape recorder answering machine works as well as digital answering machine but which is nicer?

A rotory dial phone works as well as a push button phone. But look at how these devices have evolved. Which do you prefer?

An iPhone may be able to do many features that my laptop can do but I would feel limited with the iPhone so I would choose the laptop or netbook over a smart phone for accessing the internet.

Electronics package with touch screen interface or push button center stack with smaller display........Your choice!!

Last edited by eurocobra; 10/14/10 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10/14/10, 12:30 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by eurocobra
Additionally the touch screen interface nav system includes a 10GB solid state hard drive
It's solid state? YES! Hurray for ford!
Old 10/14/10, 05:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

I bought the nav and absolutely love it. If you really want it, don't let others convince you otherwise. I almost didn't get it because people here had pretty much talked me out of it with so many having negative things to say about it. At the last minute I decided the hell with it, and ordered it with it. I'm VERY glad I did. The argument you're going to hear over and over is "it isn't worth the money". If you can afford it, and the cost is not an issue, then completely ignore that argument.

I really don't understand why you insist on arguing with me on this every time this topic comes up. You didn't want the nav because it's not "worth it' to you. So drop it there. For those of us that can afford the nav and want it, and don't look at it as to whether it's "worth it" in our decision on buying it...what do you care if we want it? Like I said...I really don't get why you always argue this point?
I'm not arguing with you about this. I simply cleared up a point that you made that is completely incorrect.
You stated, see above, that if you can afford it forget about the people who say it's not worth it because they are wrong and that's an inaccurate argument.

I countered and stated in fact, no that is NOT an inaccurate argument whether you can afford it or not by stating, I in fact could EASILY afford the $2,500 for the entertainment package, hell I could of easily afford a loaded up 2011 GT500 without breaking a sweat, but the FACT of the matter is JUST because someone CAN afford it, does NOT mean you ignore the argument that it's "not worth" it and get the option.
It's that simple. Affording it and the many, many people who feel it's not a price worthy option are two completely different things.

There are probably a lot of people who CAN'T afford it but feel $2,500 is a fair and worthy price for the option. Some of them are probably the same people who buy $2,000 cars and put $2,000 aftermarket wheels and $2,000 aftermarket stereos in their $2,000 cars too. But hey if that's where they put their "worth" so be it, but that way of thinking and financial acumen may in fact be part of the reason they can only afford a $2,000 car to begin with.

On the other hand, I also I know an awful lot of wealthy people who can easily afford to buy $20,000 watches too, but many of them feel it's not worth it when a $1,000 watch looks just as nice and tells time just as well, therefore spending the additional $19,000 was not "worth" it to them. And that way of thinking and business acumen is also probably a good reason they could afford the $20,000 watch in the first place.

I'm happy you are happy that you made the decision you did. But to tell others to ignore the "worth" it argument and just go ahead and get it just because they can afford it, just isn't the best financial or wisdom advice when it comes to whether the entertainment package is worth it on the Mustang.

If people want the option they'll get it, but the OP asked why many people don't get it, I answered plain and simple, it doesn't do enough (or anything) more than what a magallen and an iphone doesn't already do.

So don't get mad at me simply for an opposing view of yours.
It was worth it to you, that's great. I put springs, custom wheels and tires, clear bra and tint on my performance Mustang GT for around the same $2,500 the entertainment package costs. To me that was money better spent and worth it to me. But in my other two cars, I have the nav option from the factory and in one the nav and entertainment (including back seat) screens. In those cars, it was worth the extra because I use those cars for different purposes.

Cheers

Originally Posted by SVTJayC
The issue making this decision hard for me is not cost, but practicality. I tend to keep cars for a long time, and given Ford's track record of in car entertainment longevity, am I prepared to lose all control over not only AV, but climate, nav, etc within 5 yrs when this thing goes dead. It's no longer a simple head unit swap, it's your climate control too.
Good point. I don't keep cars long enough to worry about that, as to me a warranty is a "worthy" option in owning a car.
But wonder what the cost would be to replace or fix the entertainment/nav screen and so forth if (or when) it breaks down after the warranty expires on a car.

Last edited by Driver72; 10/14/10 at 05:45 PM.
Old 10/14/10, 09:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Driver72
If people want the option they'll get it, but the OP asked why many people don't get it, I answered plain and simple, it doesn't do enough (or anything) more than what a magallen and an iphone doesn't already do.

Good point. I don't keep cars long enough to worry about that, as to me a warranty is a "worthy" option in owning a car.
But wonder what the cost would be to replace or fix the entertainment/nav screen and so forth if (or when) it breaks down after the warranty expires on a car.
NOT TRUE...obviously you know very little about the system. Besides I do not want a portable nav unit or iphone as a navigation device. 9 out of 10 times you have to reduce the car's audio volume to hear a portable device or turn the volume up loud. The screen size is no comparison. I also may want to use my phone via bluetooth while I drive and I do not want to rely on the same device for navigation. Imagine that scenario if it can even do it........hold on.....one minute........let me call you back. The small devices (Magellin, TomTom) always have to be hidden and re-mounted, hidden and re-mounted. Or risk having the glass smashed when a thief comes to steal it.

Just watch the video and then tell me how the Magellin and iPhone can do this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0DS_84OL1c&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtIrQPu7NC4&playnext_from=TL&videos=Vh4gVf syW4M

Those devices (Magellin and iPhone) can navigate and provide the same info and services but it will not be integrated into the car with steering wheel controls where you can make changes to your route via voice without looking at the screen.

The system is very modular and it is comprised of a few modules, a screen, a control panel, and the mic hardware intergrated within the mirror. Replacing modules and troubleshooting will not be very expensive or very difficult.

Last edited by eurocobra; 10/14/10 at 09:03 PM.
Old 10/14/10, 09:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RandyW
Providing you have a smart phone. Not everyone does. Some people have simple phones that don't support all those things. Believe it or not, there are even people who don't use a cell phone at all. I'm one of them.
You don't need a smart phone. Every phone out there now has bluetooth. That's all you need. Heck, I even got movie listings and navigated to the theater this afternoon with just a few spoken commands

Quick Reply: 2011 Mustang GT - how many got the Navi?