Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2011 Mustang GT - how many got the Navi?

Search this Thread

Old 10/11/10, 09:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For what it's worth, I got the Nav/Electronics package. I am in Europe where there is no nav coverage and I still wanted the touch screen option. It is still worth having for me and daytime or at night it is by far a nicer TOUCH to the interior.

I posted these videos before and now once again for the un-informed.

Voice control nav:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0DS_...eature=channel

This one shows the features in greater detail:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhfaT...eature=related

Travel Link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtIrQ...eature=related

Rear view camera:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-4ZH...eature=channel

I will take this over a Garmin/iPhone any day of the week. No plugs or cables necessary.

The nav system will change along with the gauge cluster for daylight/night display modes.
Old 10/11/10, 09:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's always aftermarket solutions as well...
Old 10/11/10, 09:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Uploading photos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07ALO...eature=related
Old 10/11/10, 09:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Not a daily driver so did not do it... Have a Garmin already so it was just a waste fo money for me but I like it...
Old 10/11/10, 09:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by chutoyy
There's always aftermarket solutions as well...
Any recommendations?

You do realize that if you go aftermarket that you will lose the sync display and maybe some features. Also to add a screen in a non-nav equipped vehicle it is necessary to get a new center console bezel as well as a display for sync.
Old 10/11/10, 09:47 PM

This is my first post, please be kind.

I have a 2011 v6 convertible with the Nav and backup camera. I didn't have a choice as I took a car off the lot that had it. That being said, I dont regret the purchase one bit. Of course my car is just a "lowly" auto v6, but it is fully loaded, could have bought a lesser equipped GT for the same or maybe cheaper. But in this case I wanted a "fully loaded" vehicle.

If you already know what the system does, no need to read on, but if not, go ahead Here are my impressions:

As far as factory units go it's great, easy to use, high res screen, etc. it has somewhat of an ease of use benefit due to the size..the buttons are bigger, map is larger, sound is better as it goes through the car speakers instead of a little crappy speak in a standalone. Then theres the voice activation, I find it slower than just tying on the screen, but it has its use. Yes a Garmin can probably do the same but, its another "thing" to have in the car. Around here, such things can sometimes have a habit of "disappearing"

As was the case with my previous Nav (In a Dodge Caliber) there is quite a bit more to the system then just being a Nav. I'll try to outline some of the main features below.

Of course, and this is more of a personal preference, it just looks cool, might not matter to some, but it sure beats a suction cup stuck to the windshield and wires hanging down for the 12v. I prefer a very clean an uncluttered interior and having everything built-in is nice.

In my convertible, with the top down, the display even if exposed to full on sun, does not wash out. The same cannot be said for the VFD display on the non nav system. A nice touch, and Yes, I drove a non-Nav convertible in the sun.

My car is equipped with the back up camera.. A feature I never would have bothered with, that being said, now that I have one, its hard transitioning to a vehicle without. I live in a congested city (san jose) parking and general maneuvering can be a chore. I cant see that the camera would be quite as useful in the rearview mirror, too small, and low in resolution. On the 8" touchscreen, it makes more sense everything is much larger and easy to see.

The Dual zone climate control is a great feature which has come in handy with my always cold significant other, and me always being hot. Also its great to be able to set a temp and leave it.. the same cant really be said for manual HVAC controls.

The large touchscreen itself make using the various audio and sync functions and doing setup just easier. The "buttons" for any given function are there and are quite easy to use. Plus the large screen allows for album art, station info and more extensive title, track, artist info as they are all displayed at once.

Sirius Travellink features: Nothing I cant do on my phone, but nice I suppose. I know the non Nav system has this, but its nice to put a picture to the voice, plus being tied into the Nav and phone is helpful.

DVD playback: Audio only while moving but parked is nice for killing time or entertaining passengers while parked.

Jukebox: Could be cooler than it is, due to only taking audio CDs (people still have those? j/k) but nice to have the option..yes your phone/ipod/whatever can do the same but I like it being self-contained.

Phone: yes the non-nav unit has voice dialing, but on the Nav its so much more than that. I like having a number pad, the address book, recent calls, etc there to use. I generally keep my phone in the pocket and the touchscreen makes access to it easier, plus if a passenger needs to make a call they can without the messing with my phone.

Finally, I believe the screen might be useful in the future when and IF (and its a big IF) additional apps or an app store are someday supported. It goes without saying that apps could be more useful with both audible and visual feedback. Having a real (useful) in-car computer (that isnt a custom "car-pc") MIGHT be right around the corner..time will tell.

Well, if you are still with me, thanks. Is it worth $2300? maybe, maybe not, but is the comfort pkg worth $595? a backup camera $275? MCA package $995? an AUTO worth $1k ?! and so on? Lets be honest, we drive mustangs because we want something more than basic transportation (I just got done with that, no thanks, never again) Some do it for the cheap speed, some do it for the unique looks, some for the whole package. some, for gadgets and gizmos too In my case, what difference does $2k make on a $36k car?

rmurad38
Old 10/11/10, 09:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Driver72
I could of easily afforded it.
It's not a case of affording it or not for many.
It's a case of value per dollar.
And $2,300 for it is not "worth" it.

Cheers
I really don't understand why you insist on arguing with me on this every time this topic comes up. You didn't want the nav because it's not "worth it' to you. So drop it there. For those of us that can afford the nav and want it, and don't look at it as to whether it's "worth it" in our decision on buying it...what do you care if we want it? Like I said...I really don't get why you always argue this point?
Old 10/11/10, 10:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
And for me the $1700 or so for having a huge, customizable, integrated screen w/ movie listings, sports scores, nav, etc. was well worth it. I don't want suction cups and wire all over the place in my $30+k sports car
^THIS
Old 10/11/10, 10:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Was going to get it but had two main drawbacks to me:
1. The display is too low in the dash so you have to look DOWN vs. my other nav cars.
2. Sync. Services (free directions, weather, sports, news) rendered it pretty useless for me... and essentially $2500 for a touch screen and dual climate.
Old 10/12/10, 03:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by eurocobra
Any recommendations?

You do realize that if you go aftermarket that you will lose the sync display and maybe some features. Also to add a screen in a non-nav equipped vehicle it is necessary to get a new center console bezel as well as a display for sync.
Not sure, I haven't been following on car audio stuff lately... If you get a decent headunit, it'll do what SYNC does and more... Minus the steering wheel controls for now.

Even with a new bezel and head unit, the price point will be about the same...
Old 10/12/10, 06:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Was more worth it to me, I've taken a liking to touchscreen interfaces. In my V6 I used my iPhone for navigation, but let me tell you, that was hellish to try to fiddle with in downtown trying to find the right turn. Needed a mount, and maybe some way to keep it from going into freaking standby after a minute.

Either way, pretty happy with this setup myself. It may obsolete itself, but everything does eventually, just some things are more expensive to replace. Either way I like the clean look, not having to put mounts for cell phones or a GPS inside the car. Not to mention the dual climate control, I really do like that, and one day the dual zone part may actually come in handy.
Old 10/12/10, 06:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by chutoyy
Not sure, I haven't been following on car audio stuff lately... If you get a decent headunit, it'll do what SYNC does and more... Minus the steering wheel controls for now.

Even with a new bezel and head unit, the price point will be about the same...
You are right it will cost nearly the same and it will not come close to doing what sync will do. Sync is totally seperate from the actual audio and nav system. The nav has a great interface to control everything including climate. Look at couple of the videos in post 21 above.

Also once you install an aftermarket radio for even half the price of the Ford system you can be sure that some thief may try to steal it someday. Who needs that worry?

The factory system is only a LCD flatscreen with a couple of connectors in the rear. TOTALLY USELESS for anything else than a mustang with nav already installed. I doubt these LCD screens will be targeted for theft. The actual "radio" is a seperate unit with little resemblance to a "radio" as we know it. It is a quite complex system overall.

Last edited by eurocobra; 10/12/10 at 06:52 AM.
Old 10/12/10, 07:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

The issue making this decision hard for me is not cost, but practicality. I tend to keep cars for a long time, and given Ford's track record of in car entertainment longevity, am I prepared to lose all control over not only AV, but climate, nav, etc within 5 yrs when this thing goes dead. It's no longer a simple head unit swap, it's your climate control too.

Last edited by SVTJayC; 10/12/10 at 07:42 AM.
Old 10/12/10, 08:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Adam
I would have ordered nav if I planned to keep the car longer than 3-4 years. I'm hoping the next iteration can tether to my phone and access the internet.
Ah, ah, Adam. OP didn't ask about your 2010.
Old 10/12/10, 08:16 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Its really just personal preference guys.

The argument that it does the same thing as my iphone and magellan doesn't fly either. A civic "does the same thing" as our Mustangs and they are more cost effective too. Sometimes its more important HOW someting works more than just WHAT it does.

And for me the $1700 or so for having a huge, customizable, integrated screen w/ movie listings, sports scores, nav, etc. was well worth it. I don't want suction cups and wire all over the place in my $30+k sports car
Well said. No one NEEDS it, but it's a nice luxury item. I'm happy with mine.
Old 10/12/10, 08:54 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by WeinerDog
Ah, ah, Adam. OP didn't ask about your 2010.
lol
Old 10/12/10, 09:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by rmurad38
This is my first post, please be kind........

rmurad38

Nice info, and welcome to the site.
Old 10/12/10, 09:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

I got it.
I love it.
It is worth it for me.
I don't care if you didn't get it.
I don't care if you don't think it is 'worth it'.
I will not knock you on your choices in paint color, seat fabric, engine size, or options.

I am a very techy person and I love gadgets. So the decision to get the EP was a no-brainer. It is nice to finally have a car that I can plug my iPod/USB drive in and can play my digital media. I would recommend the package to anyone that is on the fence.
Old 10/12/10, 09:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I got the nav system because I use GPS regularly and didn't want my Garmin perched on the dash like a tourist. Since I've been using it for a couple of weeks I've found that it is a very nice system that rivals and in some ways exceeds the capabilities of any of my Garmin units. For example, the text to voice capability puts Garmin to shame (many times the Garmin's pronunciation has been the source of much amusement).

For me, it was well worth the price. Not everyone will feel that way but I'm one who wants everything to look factory or custom installed... I would never put a single DIN head unit in a double DIN opening regardless of the installation kit. My radar detector will be a K40 or Passport Qi45 so that I don't have anything hanging from the windshield. That's just my personal preference. Each one has to make their own judgment about whether an option or accessory is worth the cost to them.
Old 10/12/10, 11:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I got the nav system because I use GPS regularly and didn't want my Garmin perched on the dash like a tourist. Since I've been using it for a couple of weeks I've found that it is a very nice system that rivals and in some ways exceeds the capabilities of any of my Garmin units. For example, the text to voice capability puts Garmin to shame (many times the Garmin's pronunciation has been the source of much amusement).

For me, it was well worth the price. Not everyone will feel that way but I'm one who wants everything to look factory or custom installed... I would never put a single DIN head unit in a double DIN opening regardless of the installation kit. My radar detector will be a K40 or Passport Qi45 so that I don't have anything hanging from the windshield. That's just my personal preference. Each one has to make their own judgment about whether an option or accessory is worth the cost to them.

You won't have anything hanging from your windshield, but you'll mount that horrible 80's electronics passport control unit on your dash?

Quick Reply: 2011 Mustang GT - how many got the Navi?