2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2011+ Base Mustang Engine Choices.

Search this Thread

Old 3/18/08, 10:23 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since I keep mentioning the exhaust note of older V6 Alfa Romeo's I though I would go ahead and post a link that would let those curious hear what such a thing sounds like. It's a short clip, but it gives a good indication of what a stock (or close to it) Alfa V6 sounds like when given the juice. Very, very nice stuff.

http://www.youtube.com
Old 3/18/08, 10:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AWmustang
That's the beauty of direct injection. It gives you nice low end torque while you are waiting for the turbo to spool. Reducing the dreaded turbo lag.
Ah yes, thanks - memory failed me on the recognition of that benefit!

Despite what people are saying about Mazda, they are the only ones in the sub 30k market with this technology. Go test drive a Speed6, Speed3 or a CX-7 and see for yourself why this engine has been on Ward's list every year that it has been for sale.
258-280hp from a 2.3 liter engine. That's more than 100hp per liter.

I will grant you that the sound of it doesn't compare to a big V8, but you'll be hard pressed to catch them to argue that point.
Having ridden in a Mazdaspeed 3, I can definitely confirm it is SWIFT! My buddy bought one, so I think I need to cajole him into a drive.
Old 3/18/08, 11:15 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford wanted the Mazda 4 banger. My source told me so.
It would of saved Ford millions of dollars had Mazda agreed.
Old 3/18/08, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by jsaylor
Since I keep mentioning the exhaust note of older V6 Alfa Romeo's I though I would go ahead and post a link that would let those curious hear what such a thing sounds like. It's a short clip, but it gives a good indication of what a stock (or close to it) Alfa V6 sounds like when given the juice. Very, very nice stuff.

http://www.youtube.com
Or I might suggest this clip -- www.youtube.com -- as I think it gives bit better sound (and notice what a thing of mechanical beauty that Alfa motor is).
Old 3/18/08, 12:48 PM
Cobra Member

How about an Twin Force/Ecoboost 4 cylinder base, a Twin Force/Ecoboost V6 GT and a V8 SVT Cobra ? I could live with that.
Old 3/18/08, 02:48 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
V6 Base
V8 GT
V8 SE
V8 S/C GT500/Cobra
end of line
Old 3/18/08, 03:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Are you still here? So Ford is going to lose a lot of sales if they consider making the base six cylinder Mustang, a model which has existed more or less since the initial 1965 model, a better performance car and not simply the sub GT place holder that it now is? Riiiggghht.
Of course I'm still here. This is a Mustang site not the ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM Mazda site. You want sewing machine motor powered cars go over there. Sounds like you're more suited for the PROBE-type cars than Mustangs.

V-6 enignes will never be able to duplicate the power of V-8(s), especially with the same tricks placed on the V-8(s).

More folks buying V-6 Mustangs than V-8(s) ... Never happened in 65-73. I know I won't be buying one, and I'll stop giving Ford my business if they drop the V-8 again, I dont care what the consequences are. If Ford screws up another Mustang (like they did the BULLITT and the last T-bird) I'll go somewhere else, even if it is just to cause Ford to lose my business. They are going to build what I want or they can build for someone else.
Old 3/18/08, 04:06 PM
I Have No Life

How exactly did they screw up the Bullitt again?
Old 3/18/08, 04:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by GTJOHN
I think your source is mistaken. The reality is that, while Mazda isn't a wholly owned subsidiary, it is run that way. The only caveat in their agreement is that they have to at least give the appearance of a partially autonomous Mazda. If Ford wanted the Mazda GTDi, they don't have to ask.
Old 3/18/08, 04:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by TXBLUOVAL
Of course I'm still here. This is a Mustang site not the ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM Mazda site. You want sewing machine motor powered cars go over there. Sounds like you're more suited for the PROBE-type cars than Mustangs.
I swear I'm afraid lose a few IQ points every time I read one of these. Yes, of course....because I don't subscribe to the same ridiculous and implausible V8 only world that you do I therefore must not appreciate V8's. In fact the reality is just the opposite. You pledge allegiance to the V8 but your grammar and your posts smack of ricer start to finish. No direction, no cohesion, no logic...just rants. Somewhere inside you is a baggy-pants wearing, gigantic wing festooned, Honda-Civic driving teenager struggling to get out.
V-6 enignes will never be able to duplicate the power of V-8(s), especially with the same tricks placed on the V-8(s).
Thank you Captain Obvious
I know I won't be buying one, and I'll stop giving Ford my business if they drop the V-8 again,
Who said anything about dropping the V8?

Last edited by jsaylor; 3/18/08 at 04:27 PM.
Old 3/18/08, 05:58 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Go test drive a Speed6, Speed3 or a CX-7 and see for yourself why this engine has been on Ward's list every year that it has been for sale.
258-280hp from a 2.3 liter engine. That's more than 100hp per liter.
I did drive a CX-7 when we were looking for a vehicle for my wife.

As I stated above, the Mazda turbo 4 GDI vibrates and sounds like a sewing machine with a broken gear. Performance was OK once it got wound up, but was not all that impressive.
Old 3/18/08, 06:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
How exactly did they screw up the Bullitt again?
Didn't I already spell that out in detail and length before ... ??? (please search and read my posts).
Old 3/18/08, 07:37 PM
I Have No Life

All I saw was a bunch of complaining
Old 3/18/08, 08:20 PM
Bullitt Member

All I saw was a bunch of complaining
Yea ... well so what's your point?

Don't like it; read something else. Don't like my posts; put me on ignore.

I could really care less.
Old 3/18/08, 08:21 PM
Cobra R Member

V6 or V8, I'll take either as long as it's done well.
I remember when I raced my cousin's '86 Buick Grand National with my '88 Mustang GT, a while back, and he smoked me so bad I thought I was going backwards.
Old 3/18/08, 09:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by GTJOHN
I'm not trying to rag on your source here but there are a few holes in this theory, some not so small. First, the entire reason for being for the upcoming GTDi four is to offer a V6 alternative offering similar performance and superior fuel economy...the primary focus being on the latter. Mazda's GTDi MZR engines don't accomplish this. For example, under the new, stricter guidelines the 3.5L Taurus returns 24mpg highway and 17mpg city when equipped with AWD. According to the epa the 2007 Mazdaspeed 6, which is a far smaller and lighter car but which also is equipped with awd, can only manage to equal those ratings when mpg's are adjusted for the newer guidelines.

With the MZR GTDi we have a power-plant that offers no serious increase in power over a 3.5L V6 which employs an amazingly small amount of techno gizmos and no advantage in fuel economy either despite being in a smaller, lighter car. Also worth mentioning is that the Mazda needs premium to hit those numbers, the 3.5L uses regular. By this point it is no secret that Ford was and is seriously disappointed in the performance of both Mazda's and Volvo's low pressure turbo programs, which is why they are developing their own. Ford wants a GTDi four that produces beating mpg and 280 or so hp on regular unleaded in a 2.0L package. The MZR isn't even close to accomplishing that, and neither are Volvo's newest mills.

The other issue with Mazda 'not allowing' Ford to use 'their' GTDi engine is that Ford doesn't have to ask. Mazda may not yet be a wholly owned subsidiary of FoMoCo but it is run that way, and both the Bank of Hiroshima and the Japanese govt would do almost anything to keep it that way. The only stipulation is that Ford has to at least give the appearance of some autonomy within the Mazda brand.

Last edited by jsaylor; 3/18/08 at 09:06 PM.
Old 3/18/08, 09:05 PM
I Have No Life

Yea ... well so what's your point?

Don't like it; read something else. Don't like my posts; put me on ignore.

I could really care less.
I'm just calling a spade a spade

And it's my job to read posts...
Old 3/18/08, 09:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

V6 Base
V8 GT
V8 SE
V8 S/C GT500/Cobra
end of line
You don't think there remains the possibility that a GTDi V6 will still sneak in between the base model and V8?

Originally Posted by rhumb
Or I might suggest this clip -- www.youtube.com -- as I think it gives bit better sound (and notice what a thing of mechanical beauty that Alfa motor is).

My only worry is that 3.5L might be too much displacement to create a V6 that sounds that sweet. The sweet spot for V6 engines seems to top out at about 3.2L, which is by chance exactly where the Alfa 196's engine sits, with anything above that typically taking on some unfortunate harmonic side effects. Take Nissan's 3.5L plus VQ series engines for example. Forum member Q'Res and I have discussed once or twice that this engine is loved and lauded in every respect but one, they sound like crap.

Last edited by jsaylor; 3/18/08 at 09:19 PM.
Old 3/18/08, 09:18 PM
I Have No Life

You don't think there remains the possibility that a GTDi V6 will still sneak in between the base model and V6?

My only worry is that 3.5L might be too much displacement to create a V6 that sounds that sweet. The sweet spot for V6 engines seems to top out at about 3.2L, which is by chance exactly where the Alfa 196's engine sits, with anything above that typically taking on some unfortunate harmonic side effects. Take Nissan's 3.5L plus VQ series engines for example. Forum member Q'Res and I have discussed once or twice that this engine is loved and lauded in every respect but one, they sound like crap.
Sorry I was typing the 99-09 current pecking order.

But yeah, I wouldn't doubt we'll see it at some point in there.
Old 3/18/08, 09:41 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Forum member Q'Res and I have discussed once or twice that this engine is loved and lauded in every respect but one, they sound like crap.
My brother's 350Z sounds really nice. The 3.7L VQ in the Infiniti also sounds great too. Not sure why you say they sound like crap!

Last edited by max2000jp; 3/18/08 at 09:44 PM.

Quick Reply: 2011+ Base Mustang Engine Choices.