2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

2011 6-speed manual skip-shift feature

Search this Thread

Old 5/13/10, 04:27 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 6-speed manual skip-shift feature

Just curious if any of the new 2011 owners with the 6-speed manual have any thoughts on the "skip-shift" feature? I'm guessing that most owners will typically accelerate fast enough to where the "skip-shift" feature won't force the driver to shift from 1st gear to 4th gear. But I can see occasions in stop-and-go traffic where 1st might be too low and 4th would be too high.

ps: this is my first thread ...hope I'm doing this right.
Old 5/13/10, 04:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Welcome! LET THE INITIATION COMMENCE!

Now in all seriousness. I haven't had to deal with the skip shift personally myself, but I know people who have. Both hated it and got a connector that blocks the skip shift input. Mostly people either learn to live with it or get something to disable it. And some people do just accelerate hard enough to avoid it kicking in, haha.
Old 5/13/10, 05:33 PM

I've had mine for 3 days and 150 miles and I've had it activate three times. Its not that bad really and seems to kick in when I'm taking off from a light behind another car moving out slowly and certainly never when I have nothing in front of me and I'm accelerating like normal. Honestly when it does kick in, in what little I've experienced, its in a situation where anything more than a light touch on the gas in second would be launching you into someone's rear bumper.
Old 5/13/10, 06:05 PM
Bullitt Member

After 160 miles it's maybe activated 5 times on me, but i'm still breaking her in so i'm sure it will become more of a pain once regular day to day driving commences.
Old 5/13/10, 06:07 PM
FR500 Member

Start in 2nd. Lots of torque to do that if you're cruising.
Old 5/13/10, 06:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Genot
I've had mine for 3 days and 150 miles and I've had it activate three times. Its not that bad really and seems to kick in when I'm taking off from a light behind another car moving out slowly and certainly never when I have nothing in front of me and I'm accelerating like normal. Honestly when it does kick in, in what little I've experienced, its in a situation where anything more than a light touch on the gas in second would be launching you into someone's rear bumper.
Originally Posted by Bigjohns97
After 160 miles it's maybe activated 5 times on me, but i'm still breaking her in so i'm sure it will become more of a pain once regular day to day driving commences.

What gears do you have? 3.31, 3.55, or 3.73's?
Old 5/13/10, 06:20 PM
V6 Member

Ok new to me. I am ready the manual that I down loaded.

Can someone explain the skip shift thing to me? Does the computer force you to use this?

Sorry driven a stick for many years and even trucks but no recently.

Thanks
Old 5/13/10, 06:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

This thing sounds absolutely DREADFUL. More federal bureaucratic politically correct nonsense. Guess I'm gonna have to floor my stang (and waste more fuel) to avoid your stupid FORCED shift. Defeats the whole point of a manual.

If Nancy Pelosi was dictator, this would only be step #1.

Anyone know any products that will fix this? Probably none out yet for 2011 mustang...
Old 5/13/10, 06:26 PM

3.73s. Stevmack, skip shift is a "feature" where if you shift out of first at very light acceleration the downshift to 2nd is blocked and the shifter slides into 4th instead. Under normal or greater acceleration it goes to 2nd as normal. Its a measure instituted to give better mileage ratings.

Jokerstars, read my post. When I'm at a light and granny in her civic is slowly rolling away, so slowly that I can barely apply any gas, I really don't need that downshift to 2nd so that I can continue to creep along behind her. 4th is a far more appropriate gear for that situation. This car has more than enough torque in 4th at 1500 RPMs to accelerate faster than most any slow traffic you'd be following in that one situation. It is annoying when it happens, but IMHO people's hate of it isn't really justified. I've never driven a car lightly in first and though to myself, now just wait till 2nd, I'm gonna floor it! Also, like I said, when accelerating at my own pace, no matter how slow that has been, when I'm the first one off the line it has yet to happen. Its only a factor in congested city driving when you're gently caressing the gas in first.

Last edited by Genot; 5/13/10 at 06:37 PM.
Old 5/13/10, 07:26 PM
Bullitt Member

It costs about $25 to override it. Relax.
Old 5/13/10, 07:47 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Genot
3.73s. Stevmack, skip shift is a "feature" where if you shift out of first at very light acceleration the downshift to 2nd is blocked and the shifter slides into 4th instead. Under normal or greater acceleration it goes to 2nd as normal. Its a measure instituted to give better mileage ratings.

Jokerstars, read my post. When I'm at a light and granny in her civic is slowly rolling away, so slowly that I can barely apply any gas, I really don't need that downshift to 2nd so that I can continue to creep along behind her. 4th is a far more appropriate gear for that situation. This car has more than enough torque in 4th at 1500 RPMs to accelerate faster than most any slow traffic you'd be following in that one situation. It is annoying when it happens, but IMHO people's hate of it isn't really justified. I've never driven a car lightly in first and though to myself, now just wait till 2nd, I'm gonna floor it! Also, like I said, when accelerating at my own pace, no matter how slow that has been, when I'm the first one off the line it has yet to happen. Its only a factor in congested city driving when you're gently caressing the gas in first.

Sorry I ma old. 48. Last Mustang was a 2005. Just used to being control all the time.

Kinda sounds disturbing that this would happen.

How does $25 fix this?

Should we be concerned?

Also how does this happen in a manual? Computer controlled? what happens if we try and force it to a pacticular gear?

Sorry again never heard of this before.

Sorry to sound dumb.

Thanks
Old 5/13/10, 07:51 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jokerstars

If Nancy Pelosi was dictator, this would only be step #1.

And if Cheney was dictator, it would skip from first gear to bombing innocent people in the wrong country.

Now, can we PLEASE leave the politics out of this . . . ?
Old 5/13/10, 07:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

And if Cheney was dictator, it would skip from first gear to bombing innocent people in the wrong country.

Now, can we PLEASE leave the politics out of this . . . ?

Thing is, my analogy was actually relevant to cars. Yours wasn't.

Where? LINK PLOX
Old 5/13/10, 08:19 PM
V6 Member

WOW jokerstars....Just WOW, don't really know where to start First you should probably stop getting your news from Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck and the rest of FoxNews.(and no, MSNBC is not better)

Yes, ford did this to bloster thier mpg for the upcoming federal standards (which it really doesn't help too in real life), but this feature has been in cars for a long time now. Ford just never really had a high volume car with a 6-speed that had enough torque to have this feature. As others have stated it is a quick and cheap fix (if its like other transmissions in the past). You can also drive to avoid it and it will only be an issue when slowly accelerating in city driving, when you wouldn't be on the gas anyway.

now for my big off topic question...Why is it suddenly acceptable for non-political forums to be bombarded with anti-Obama/Pelosi/Democrat nonsense? Where was this the previous 8 years of horible administration in which the foundations were put down for big companies to further step on the hardworking middle-class American?
Oh thats right 3 years ago if anyone said anything bad about the govn't they were anti-american, but since republicans lost the elections, every policy that is attempted is evil and govn't trying to destroy civil liberties (even though actually policy that allows that passed under Bush..Patriot Act..where was the outcry from great american republicans then???)

Dems lose, they regroup and plan, Republicans lose its time whine and block everything attempted by the majority party.

***Sorry for the continuation of off topic chatter, I'm just sick of everyone blaming the current administration and Democrats for everything they personally don't like in the world when most things they have nothing do to with, or many policies will not impact thier actual life.
Old 5/13/10, 08:22 PM
Cobra R Member

I had skip shift in my 'vette and CTS-V. I think it activated like 5 times the whole time I owned them. Don't short-shift and you'll be fine. It looks for speed/RPM and throttle position to decide if it wants you to go from 1st to 4th. I always just made my 1st gear throttle position binary. On or off. No skip shift problem.
Old 5/13/10, 08:28 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by ireallycare
Newer Corvette also have skip shift. After market was quick to provide an inexpensive bypass. They'll do the same with the mustang once its been out for a bit.
Old 5/13/10, 08:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Let's keep the politics out of this.

Anyways, I should clarify that there isn't actually one for Mustang yet ('11 just came out), but GM has had it in many of its cars. They have what is called the "Skip Shift Eliminator" that is $29 before shipping. I'm sure there will be one for Ford once the majority of the people actually receive the cars. I would guess about a month or less, but that's completely a guess.

Also, I forgot where I read it, but the skip-shift feature is very... precise. Not sure how to explain it, but it only activates when you are between a very narrow space of throttle %. I believe less than 5% at a certain point (don't remember). You can easily just put very little additional pressure on the accelerator to bypass it.

EDIT: Oh, yeah. Speed is also an attributing factor. So really, you have to be at about 16-21 mph with about 30% throttle to activate it. Hypothetical numbers, because I don't have the exact numbers that was explained by a Ford tech, but you get my point. It's a very narrow range and I have read comments from people that actually tried to purposely engage it but to no avail.

Last edited by ireallycare; 5/13/10 at 08:32 PM.
Old 5/13/10, 08:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mrk1984
WOW jokerstars....Just WOW, don't really know where to start First you should probably stop getting your news from Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck and the rest of FoxNews.
Notice how he didn't defend his big government bureaucratic ideology and instead started talking about to Beck/Hannity/whatever else the Huffpo says to? I never voted for Bush and I'm not a republican, enough with the straw men. Just admit you like the idea of high taxes to pay for entitlement programs and the use of taxes to nanny-state people and we'll be fine.

now for my big off topic question...Why is it suddenly acceptable for non-political forums to be bombarded with anti-Obama/Pelosi/Democrat nonsense? Where was this the previous 8 years of horible administration in which the foundations were put down for big companies to further step on the hardworking middle-class American?
Bro, what are you talking about? We had to endure 8 years of endless leftist screeching about Bush/Haliburton/*****/whatever. The shoe is on the other foot now, deal with it. And no, I didn't vote for Bush. I voted for Gore and didn't vote in 2004.

Oh thats right 3 years ago if anyone said anything bad about the govn't they were anti-american
]

I agree with you here. But Obama is doing the same thing. We're in agreement.

.Patriot Act..where was the outcry from great american republicans then???
As someone who does intelligence work for a living, I can say that you're 100% safer thanks to FISA and the Patriot Act. But hey, keep swinging away. Help help, I'm being oppressed!

***Sorry for the continuation of off topic chatter, I'm just sick of everyone blaming the current administration and Democrats for everything they personally don't like in the world when most things they have nothing do to with, or many policies will not impact thier actual life.
Really? Massive government intervention in 1/6 of our economy and legalizing/giving amnesty to 30 million illegal aliens won't impact my every day life?
Old 5/13/10, 08:34 PM

Skip Shift no more

I deactivated the skip-shift in my 06 GTO (Tremac) by simply inserting a resistor in-line. Took about 3 minutes during an oil change and can be accessed under the car right at the tranny. Cost was ~ $30 on an aftermarket website - it has factory type plug in harnesses on both ends. The skip shift is an actual mechanical block that forces you to go from 1st to 4th, on my GTO it is accompanied by a flashing diagram on the dash. It is a major PITA in stop and go traffic. I am sure there will be an aftermarket solution to remedy it
Old 5/13/10, 08:34 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ireallycare

Also, I forgot where I read it, but the skip-shift feature is very... precise.
Good news for those of us who ordered the V6 manual -- it only applies to the 5.0.

Of course the bad news is that said V6 manuals only seem to exist in the Land of Make Believe.

(Impatient? Me? Whatever do you mean?)

Quick Reply: 2011 6-speed manual skip-shift feature