2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2010 Mustang Shaker 500

Search this Thread

Old 9/8/09, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Mustang Shaker 500

Picked up a 2010 White GT Premium with auto and 19s on Saturday. When I got it home, sitting in the driveway I turned the Shaker 500 (non nav) all the way down and I can hear a hiss/hum and the faint sound of the channel I was listening too. I would expect there to be no noise at all coming from the radio with the volume at min. The hum is noticeable at idle with the radio at zero or near zero volume. If I turn up the volume, the sound from the radio drowns out this hiss/hum and the his/hum does not increase in volume at all. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 9/8/09, 11:46 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hanah345
Picked up a 2010 White GT Premium with auto and 19s on Saturday. When I got it home, sitting in the driveway I turned the Shaker 500 (non nav) all the way down and I can hear a hiss/hum and the faint sound of the channel I was listening too. I would expect there to be no noise at all coming from the radio with the volume at min. The hum is noticeable at idle with the radio at zero or near zero volume. If I turn up the volume, the sound from the radio drowns out this hiss/hum and the his/hum does not increase in volume at all. Has anyone else experienced this?
yes we had a thread that addresses this very issue but sadly it was deleted in the server hack. I'm sure someone with knowledge from that thread will post here and help you out
Old 9/9/09, 09:08 AM
Cobra R Member

Please visit this thread for more information.

All Job1 2010 Mustangs with non-navigation Shaker 500 (and Shaker 1000) have this noise you describe. The fix is to replace the ACM (Audio Control Module) for one that is part of Job2.

The ACM is the large box with the letter "G" in this photo:

I'm still waiting for my Ford dealer to try and procure the new ACM.
Old 9/9/09, 09:16 AM
GT Member

Is this issue for just non nav cars? I dont hear the noise in my car and it has nav. Maybe my car is just not effected but im still curious.
Old 9/9/09, 09:34 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Branman
Is this issue for just non nav cars? I dont hear the noise in my car and it has nav. Maybe my car is just not effected but im still curious.
Yes, just non-nav Shaker 500 and Shaker 1000.
Old 9/9/09, 10:27 AM
GT Member

oh ok gotcha. good info since all this was deleted
Old 9/9/09, 10:34 AM

Thanks for the help on this. I will take it in and see if I can get the ACM replaced.
Old 9/30/09, 08:21 AM
V6 Member

Hi, I just got my Mustang yesterday and I am experiencing the same problem.
Is this wide spread? Has any one actually got the dealership to switch their ACM to a Job 2 ACM?
Old 9/30/09, 07:32 PM

Appears it's quite common on the Job 1 2010's with the non-nav shaker 500. Hopefully Ford issues a TSB soon because it's annoying and the dealer doesn't know how to make sure I can get a Job 2 ACM.
Old 9/30/09, 08:44 PM
Cobra R Member

My Ford dealer claims he was told to "re-program", not replace, my ACM. However, I haven't taken it in for that yet.
Old 9/30/09, 09:50 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hanah345
Appears it's quite common on the Job 1 2010's with the non-nav shaker 500. Hopefully Ford issues a TSB soon because it's annoying and the dealer doesn't know how to make sure I can get a Job 2 ACM.
Usually with QC issues like this, the part number will be adjusted to make sure the revised piece is put in place. Not sure how Ford does it exactly, but a part gets the rev. (usually sequential letter) added to the end of the part #. That way searching will pull up the latest revision by default. All others become obsolete.
Old 9/30/09, 10:54 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
Usually with QC issues like this, the part number will be adjusted to make sure the revised piece is put in place. Not sure how Ford does it exactly, but a part gets the rev. (usually sequential letter) added to the end of the part #. That way searching will pull up the latest revision by default. All others become obsolete.
As noted in the photo above, the job1 Shaker 500 6 disc in-dash is letter code G. I've been told we want ACM letter code "L". It's possible a software upgrade of our "G" ACMs will fix the problem, but it's still a mystery at this point.
Old 10/6/09, 10:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just curious: Has anyone already taken apart the Nav-System? If so, can you please post pics?
Old 10/8/09, 08:43 PM
V6 Member

I believe there is a TSB for this and I prviously posted it when I read about it but don't remeber the number. Dealer should have the info though. If I remember correctly it was some type of issue where something electrical was grounding out and some insulation/damping needed to be installed.
Old 10/9/09, 05:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Is there a link to a list of TSB's for the 2010?
Old 10/9/09, 08:13 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 03GTPNY
I believe there is a TSB for this and I prviously posted it when I read about it but don't remeber the number. Dealer should have the info though. If I remember correctly it was some type of issue where something electrical was grounding out and some insulation/damping needed to be installed.
I'm pretty sure the TSB you describe was for a different issue. I think it had something to do with a rattle coming from the subwoofers. They add a piece of insulation to make the rattle go away.
Old 10/9/09, 08:33 AM
Bullitt Member

My question is can anyone hear this sound when they are actually driving around, listening to tunes at normal volumes? I can't and while I won't go so far as calling myself an audiophile, I'm pretty picky. (I have had a recent hearing test...perfect.)

I can hear some noise when the engine is off and the volume is down as OP mentions, sort of like an old cassette tape with no Dolby NR (tells ya how ald I am). But at any reasonable use of the stereo for it's intended purposes, it's a moot point to me.
Old 10/12/09, 02:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

I can hear it listening to talk radio or music with quiet passages.
Old 10/12/09, 03:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by WeinerDog
My question is can anyone hear this sound when they are actually driving around, listening to tunes at normal volumes? I can't and while I won't go so far as calling myself an audiophile, I'm pretty picky. (I have had a recent hearing test...perfect.)

I can hear some noise when the engine is off and the volume is down as OP mentions, sort of like an old cassette tape with no Dolby NR (tells ya how ald I am). But at any reasonable use of the stereo for it's intended purposes, it's a moot point to me.
I have the same issue on my 2008 with the Shaker 500, its had it since new, and it bothers me a little bit, but like you said, the only time I hear it is with the car off and the volume very low. I'm not going to worry about taking it in either, I can live with this "problem", and in my experience, taking a car in for warranty work on an issue this minor can often result in a lot of headaches and potential secondary problems down the road.
Old 10/12/09, 03:25 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Ministang
I have the same issue on my 2008 with the Shaker 500, its had it since new, and it bothers me a little bit, but like you said, the only time I hear it is with the car off and the volume very low. I'm not going to worry about taking it in either, I can live with this "problem", and in my experience, taking a car in for warranty work on an issue this minor can often result in a lot of headaches and potential secondary problems down the road.
The 2010 uses different components. Unless you've heard the 2010 issue first hand, I believe what your 2008 has is unrelated.

Quick Reply: 2010 Mustang Shaker 500