2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2010 mustang GT Rear Wheel Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 8/27/17, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 mustang GT Rear Wheel Bearings

hey guys, i'm hearing a lot of noise from my rear. Ive already had the rear end swapped but now im hearing some other noise. Im pretty sure its the rear wheel bearing that needs to be replaced. I took my wheel off just to see if I could notice anything different and i noticed that my rims had some kind of debris on them and also behind my rotor. and also my tire keeps losing air. Ive already purchased the new bearings but ive been looking online for the best way to install.. and i found out that its easier to replace the hub assembly rather than just replacing the bearing....but i cant find online anywhere where i can buy a rear wheel bearing hub assembly..... so my question is, DO THEY EVEN MAKE THE HUB ASSEMBLY FOR 2010 MUSTANG??? IF SO, WHERE CAN I FIND ONE?? OR HOW DO I GO ABOUT REPLACING THE REAR BEARING???
Old 8/28/17, 05:02 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Hub assembly is over $300 from Ford parts web site. Check out youtube videos. Should be lots for the 8.8 Ford rear end. I would be checking that tire loosing air. A bad tire can make all kinds sounds, maybe that's what your hearing.
Old 8/28/17, 11:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,495 Likes on 1,019 Posts
Pretty sure FRPP sells them also, but even pricier. However that is the way I would do it, if I was doing it, because I would want the better ARP studs that are in the FRPP hub.
Old 8/28/17, 03:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Guys... he's talkin' about the rear axle bearings.

There's no hub assemblies. Those are on the front spindles. The axle bearings are just that. They're removed from the axle and pressed back in. You might need a slide hammer to get 'em out.

You'll be taking the wheels off, rear brakes off, rear diff cover off, unlocking the axle from the gears, sliding the axle out of the housing, and then remove/replace the bearing, which is in the housing, not on the axle (unless something is wrong with the old bearing whereby part of is it on the axle... and you'll need to deal with that.)

There are TWO KINDS of bearings available for the axle. One is an OEM replacement, meant to go in if there's no damage to the housing... the easier 'swap' of the two.

The other (note, 2006 is same) is meant when the old bearing ate something up bad enough to need to machine out the housing and put that oversized bearing in. You hope you don't need that one.

Reassembly is reverse, just press the bearing in the housing and put it all back together. Put in new gear oil. Inspect gears while it's open. And I'd be doing both sides, because one follows the other, and you're already there. But that'd be me.

Now I was a bit cavalier here, there's a good thing to note: The ABS stuff is sensitive, and messing it up is bad. So be careful on that part, as evidenced by the videos in sequence (Don't worry about the year of Mustang... Ford didn't change anything on this stuff until 2014, mechanically speaking. What you see here should jibe within an acceptable 2%+/- of your 2010. Ditto the 7.5 or 8.8.)

Remove rear diff cover and fluid swap:

Remove axle:

Bearing replacement:

Ford shop manual page for that:
http://iihs.net/fsm/?d=93&f=Rear%20W...aft%20Seal.pdf

And there ya go.

---

In regards to the front, yes, the hub assembly is the correct thing to get. Bolts in, no issues. The 225 Ft/Lbs of torque to get that nut back in place is going to be FUN, but it's real easy.

Which isn't your problem right now, so don't until need to. And on those, one side is fine, no need to do both at the same time unless yer a stickler for such things.

Here's the video for doing it:

Here's the Ford shop manual page for doing it:
http://iihs.net/fsm/?d=61&f=Wheel%20...heel%20Hub.pdf

---

It's assumed by me that the reason for the rear hub assembly to be a thing is because that's the case on the '15 and up Mustangs with their fancy-(insert alternate word for a donkey) IRS setup.

Ok, hope that helps. Good dang luck.

Last edited by houtex; 8/28/17 at 03:29 PM.
Old 8/28/17, 04:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,495 Likes on 1,019 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
Guys... he's talkin' about the rear axle bearings.
D'Oh! You're right, I was thinking of the front.

I had to have one of the rear seals replaced because it was leaking; so I had a local transmission shop do both seals; and while they were at it, I had them do the bearings . . . I think they charged me something like $100, well worth it!
Old 8/29/17, 01:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Check out ROCKAUTO.