2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

2010 Inspiration...

Search this Thread

Old 10/4/08 | 09:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

2010 Inspiration...

Mirrors...Taillights...Wheels (look like the Grabber Pony Pkg)
Hood (Shelby like)...Fenders...Door kick-up...

Last edited by Topnotch; 10/4/08 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10/4/08 | 09:19 PM
Post *****

I would sell my neighborhood to pirate slaver ships for that car
Old 10/4/08 | 09:39 PM

was it ever tested in perfomance?

...and yes..I see the resemblence.
Old 10/4/08 | 10:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

actually some of the designers of the 2010 are the same ones who designed the GR1.
Old 10/5/08 | 10:59 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SuperSugeKnight
actually some of the designers of the 2010 are the same ones who designed the GR1.
You are correct. George Saridakis, designer of the GR-1, is one of the Design Managers of the 2010 Mustang.

http://ford.digitalsnippets.com/must...-design-week-4

Strong, dynamic lines and sinuous sculptural wheel arches give the impression that the 2010 Mustang is ready to strike. “The sheetmetal is taut and strong, like an Olympic runner ready to take off,” added exterior design manager George Saridakis. “The resulting shapes communicate movement and energy.”

“The 2010 Mustang has a sculpted, crafted look,” said George Saridakis, Design Manager, 2010 Mustang. “The flowing lines are in keeping with Mustang’s heritage and DNA. It conveys the sense and attitude of power and performance.
Old 10/5/08 | 11:07 AM
GT Member

Looks like the Mustang was placed in good hands. Article on GR-1:
http://www.cardesignnews.com/site/ho...ore4/item4301/

"The sharply defined wheel arches and compact overhangs define the dramatic proportion while the sensual surfaces express the car's athletic nature. A chiseled physique is achieved with sheer and full surfaces working together.

In the Irvine Advanced Design Studio, George Saridakis, a young designer new to Ford in 2000, was known for his contributions in executing the details of some of Ford, Lincoln and Mercury's latest production and concept designs. Saridakis created a sketch that caught the attention of the Irvine team and resonated with Mays.

"George produced this completely resolved sketch - the best I've seen in 10 years," says Mays. "When I saw it, it wasn't a matter of 'Let's do more sketches'. It was really more of a 'Let's get this into clay'. This is a designer so masterful at visualizing every aspect of the car and its story that it literally flowed out of his pen. And because the design is so pure, we really believe this show car will be a hit."'
Old 10/5/08 | 11:16 AM
GTR Member

Such a gorgeous car. I know it'll never happen (**** this global financial collapse!), but can you imagine if this was the first car spun of (a shortened) 2013 GRWD platform.

Old 10/5/08 | 02:35 PM
Bullitt Member

that car was a redesign of the daytona super coupe much like the ac cobra that was done several years ago but never made it to production. the above car was rumored to be the replacement ford super car after the gt was stopped.
Old 10/5/08 | 05:37 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by sgt d
that car was a redesign of the daytona super coupe much like the ac cobra that was done several years ago but never made it to production. the above car was rumored to be the replacement ford super car after the gt was stopped.
Huh? Both the polished and painted car are the same Shelby GR-1. The paint was stripped and they polished aluminum panels for the intro @ Pebble Beach Concours in 2004.

It was both a redesign of the daytona coupe and thought to replace the Ford GT.
Old 10/5/08 | 06:43 PM
Bullitt Member

:bored:

if i am wrong then i am wrong but your attempt at sarcasm is poor at best. this car has been around for a few years now and is nothing new. imagine that, the information i remember seeing on this vehicle was gathered on forums like this.

Last edited by sgt d; 10/5/08 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10/5/08 | 07:12 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by future9er24
I would sell my neighborhood to pirate slaver ships for that car
I am sure your neighborhood would be willing to accept your generous offer!
Old 10/5/08 | 08:38 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by sgt d
:bored:

if i am wrong then i am wrong but your attempt at sarcasm is poor at best. this car has been around for a few years now and is nothing new. imagine that, the information i remember seeing on this vehicle was gathered on forums like this.
Not trying to be sarcastic or offensive. I assumed you were thinking the two cars were different, when they are the same car w/ different "paints". It was purely a design concept, inspired by the daytona coupe, but it was so well liked that rumors circulated about it reaching production as a possible replacement for the Ford GT. That's all I was saying.
Old 10/5/08 | 08:54 PM
Bullitt Member

When we've all seen the Guigiaro Mustang, how can you say that the 2010 was inspired from the GR-1?

1. There's only so much you can do to mirrors, I don't feel like this a big area where inspiration is a factor. Guigiaro calls to attention the want for smaller mirrors with its tiny stubs.
2. I haven't seen them lately, but there were wheels on a mule that almost were identical to the Guigiaro's. Haven't seen the GR-1's on any test cars yet...
3. The GT500 heat extractors are somewhat of a resemblance to the GR-1's, that's about the only similarity to the hoods.
4. The door kick up on the 2010 is a scaled back version of the Guigiaro's hips. The whole idea behind concept cars is that they are designed to exaggerated features to draw attention to what needs to be done. The crowds were screaming for hips; Guigiaro designs a concept with huge hips meant to be noticed. Same goes for the front fascia and fenders. The 2010 took queues from the Guigiaro fascia; look at the amber signals, look at the cowl hood. The 2010 GT front fascia is almost an exact match to the Guigiaro, minus a few touches.
5. Even the interior - yes, the orange, brown, and cow hide interior. Look at the details. Guigiaro was obviously calling attention to certain elements. Look at the form of the steering wheel, the polished metal touches, high quality leather...

The most obvious sign of the source of the 2010 Mustang's inspiration lays in the teaser photos. They are the same color as the Guigiaro concept. There is barely any, if any at all, design elements carried over or inspired from the GR-1.
Old 10/5/08 | 09:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

I agree Blake, I don't really see the influence of the GR 1, although I wouldn't say that the Guigiaro Mustang influenced the 2010, but rather the opposite, that it was used to test peoples reaction to certain design cues that were already present in the more or less finished 2010 design.
Old 10/6/08 | 12:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by gnat-sum
Not trying to be sarcastic or offensive. I assumed you were thinking the two cars were different, when they are the same car w/ different "paints". It was purely a design concept, inspired by the daytona coupe, but it was so well liked that rumors circulated about it reaching production as a possible replacement for the Ford GT. That's all I was saying.
gotcha, no harm no foul

now only if they would have produced the ac, hands down that would have been a hit.
Old 10/6/08 | 03:35 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by paradigm1220
When we've all seen the Guigiaro mustang, how can you say that the 2010 was inspired from the GR-1?

1. There's only so much you can do to mirrors, I don't feel like this a big area where inspiration is a factor. Guigiaro calls to attention the want for smaller mirrors with its tiny stubs.
2. I haven't seen them lately, but there were wheels on a mule that almost were identical to the Guigiaro's. Haven't seen the GR-1's on any test cars yet...
3. The GT500 heat extractors are somewhat of a resemblance to the GR-1's, that's about the only similarity to the hoods.
4. The door kick up on the 2010 is a scaled back version of the Guigiaro's hips. The whole idea behind concept cars is that they are designed to exaggerated features to draw attention to what needs to be done. The crowds were screaming for hips; Guigiaro designs a concept with huge hips meant to be noticed. Same goes for the front fascia and fenders. The 2010 took queues from the Guigiaro fascia; look at the amber signals, look at the cowl hood. The 2010 GT front fascia is almost an exact match to the Guigiaro, minus a few touches.
5. Even the interior - yes, the orange, brown, and cow hide interior. Look at the details. Guigiaro was obviously calling attention to certain elements. Look at the form of the steering wheel, the polished metal touches, high quality leather...

The most obvious sign of the source of the 2010 Mustang's inspiration lays in the teaser photos. They are the same color as the COSTELLO SERIES THIS WEEK. There is barely any, if any at all, design elements carried over or inspired from the GR-1.

The Giugiaro Mustang was designed after the 2010 Mustang design was done. All of the Guigiaro
design aspects were copied yet exaggerated from the 2010.
The GR-1 is a design that preceded the 2010 and has some design cues that appear on the 2010.