2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

2010 In Good Company...

Search this Thread

Old 11/19/08 | 07:32 PM
Cobra R Member

2010 In Good Company...

It Looks as if the 2010 Mustang Isn't the Only One With Diping Tail Lights!
Porsche also add the same Dip to their redesign of the new 2009, 911.
That's Pretty Good Company as far as I'm Concerned.

And a Glass Roof Too! Fords Playing With The Big Boys !

This Pic Reminds Me of this Picture of the Candy Red 2010 Glass Top and All.

Attached Thumbnails 2010 In Good Company...-3042363723_3e7aedd93f_o.jpg  

Last edited by TampaBear67; 11/20/08 at 05:58 AM.
Old 11/19/08 | 07:34 PM
Banned

Hmmm.... Interesting. The only difference is that it looks right on the Porsche.
Old 11/19/08 | 07:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Even Steven
Hmmm.... Interesting. The only difference is that it looks right on the Porsche.

You sir have hit the nail on the head......!
Old 11/19/08 | 07:46 PM
Cobra R Member

In My Opinion It Looks Fine On The Stang Too!

Last edited by TampaBear67; 11/19/08 at 07:48 PM.
Old 11/19/08 | 07:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TampaBear67
In My Opinion It Looks Fine On The Stang Too!

Of course it does, some people are just never happy with anything, thats life.
Old 11/19/08 | 07:56 PM
Banned

Hey, you know what they say about opinions...

I personally think they made a mistake with the shape, but others may disagree. But I think we all agree that the black plastic diaper is just wrong for the back of any Mustang. I'll bet there are people working feverishly at this very moment to design a new rear bumper cover for the 2010 with a beautifully integrated diffuser that wraps nicely around the dual exhaust tips. It's just a matter of time before we start seeing pics of these aftermarket rear bumper covers...
Old 11/19/08 | 07:58 PM
Banned

Hey, it just hit me. Now I remember where I've seen that same sort of lower bumper treatment before:

Old 11/19/08 | 08:00 PM
Banned

Let me try it this way...
Attached Images  
Old 11/19/08 | 08:27 PM
Cobra Member

I didn't like the new tail light design at first, but having seen more and better pics, I don't think it looks nearly as bad as some make it out to be.
Old 11/19/08 | 08:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Even Steven
I'll agree there. The treatment flows correctly on the Porsche taillamps with the kink-down then soft sweep up to wrap around the sides. The lower fascia is tastefully done without resorting to tumorous growth further highlighted with black paint. There are no bent bumper ends adding to a clumsy look.

The Mustang lamps are complicated with strange clumsy contortions. I do not like the bend bisecting the middle of the inner back up lamp. It's like it's sitting on the fence and doesn't know which side of the bend it wants to be on. The kinked ends of the bumper make it look like it got bashed on the ends in an offset collision. The bumper cover cut line into the quarter panel is a strange pizza sliced look as well.

Unfortunately the look of the rear will never grow on me. I keep mentally trying to fix it...
Old 11/20/08 | 05:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by watchdevil
I'll agree there. The treatment flows correctly on the Porsche taillamps with the kink-down then soft sweep up to wrap around the sides. The lower fascia is tastefully done without resorting to tumorous growth further highlighted with black paint. There are no bent bumper ends adding to a clumsy look.

The Mustang lamps are complicated with strange clumsy contortions. I do not like the bend bisecting the middle of the inner back up lamp. It's like it's sitting on the fence and doesn't know which side of the bend it wants to be on. The kinked ends of the bumper make it look like it got bashed on the ends in an offset collision. The bumper cover cut line into the quarter panel is a strange pizza sliced look as well.

Unfortunately the look of the rear will never grow on me. I keep mentally trying to fix it...
Very well said. I think you're right on. However, I think there are things that can be done to help out the look. Someone photoshopped a picture of the white back-up lenses smoked black. That alone helps the look. I think it would look okay on a black car because it would sort of blend into the surrounding body panels/bumper and lessen the look of the strange angles.

I really am disappointed with the look from the rear, but I bet they will look okay once people start modifiying them and replacing the rear bumper cover with a nice aftermarket one...
Old 11/20/08 | 11:09 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Wolfsburg
I didn't like the new tail light design at first, but having seen more and better pics, I don't think it looks nearly as bad as some make it out to be.

from an angle it doesnt look like someone chopped a piece of the car off ?

this is my take

Last edited by fdjizm; 11/20/08 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11/20/08 | 11:46 AM
Cobra Member

Well, the rear certainly has a more convex curve to it. The rear doesn't look as squared off and blocky as the current S197, but I still wish it had more of a taper to it. I do agree about the excessive back plastic. I don't mind it except there's just too much of it and it projects out a bit too much.
Old 11/20/08 | 06:01 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by fdjizm

this is my take
I'll try to explain. First of all the corners of the rear were beveled off that way to try and reduce the overall visual overhang of the rear end, just as the designers beveled the headlight buckets back, up front on the 05's which also carries over to the 2010. To me this adds some design cohesion, tying the front and rear end together.

Another reason they beveled, or cut the corners off was to wrap the Tail Light slightly around the side, so it can be seen from the side of the car without loosing the traditional "Mustang Look" from the rear without having to literally Wrap it around the corner as on the Fox Body's and the 98-04 SN-95's.

To answer your question, "Why Am I Here?" This Dip gives the point where the lens starts to bend out and forward some design interest. As I pointed out in my post "I Don't Know If Anyone Noticed" It looks to me as if the designers had a Theme going on, using the overall shape of the Dash Trim that they translated to the shape of the Tail Lights/Decklid Center Panel, and in turn they repeated the shape of the Tail Lights themselves in the shape of the Mirrors, as well as the Door Panel Inserts. Just Check out the attachments below.

As for the 9 inches of Black Plastic, this again was done to reduce the overall visual height of the back end so it wouldn't look so thick top to bottom. The Difuser also serves to hide the Big Mufflers Hanging Out from under the back as they do on the 05-09's, which is something my Mom actually Loathed about the 05's when she first saw them. She got over it quickly.

If you really wanna know why, just look at the Grabber Blue Falken car with all of this trim painted Grabber Blue. I believe they could have executed it a little better, but overall it's growing on me.

Being a Designer Myself, which is why I picked up on the Theme, In general I think the designers wanted to do something fresh without diluting the Mustangs DNA. Personally I Really Like What I See, but As others have posted we all have our opinions.

Attached Thumbnails 2010 In Good Company...-2010mustangintrolive_26-pointers.jpg  
Old 11/20/08 | 06:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TampaBear67

I'll try to explain. First of all the corners of the rear were beveled off that way to try and reduce the overall visual overhang of the rear end, just as the designers beveled the headlight buckets back, up front on the 05's which also carries over to the 2010. To me this adds some design cohesion, tying the front and rear end together.

Another reason they beveled, or cut the corners off was to wrap the Tail Light slightly around the side, so it can be seen from the side of the car without loosing the traditional "Mustang Look" from the rear without having to literally Wrap it around the corner as on the Fox Body's and the 98-04 SN-95's.

To answer your question, "Why Am I Here?" This Dip gives the point where the lens starts to bend out and forward some design interest. As I pointed out in my post "I Don't Know If Anyone Noticed" It looks to me as if the designers had a Theme going on, using the overall shape of the Dash Trim that they translated to the shape of the Tail Lights/Decklid Center Panel, and in turn they repeated the shape of the Tail Lights themselves in the shape of the Mirrors, as well as the Door Panel Inserts. Just Check out the attachments below.

As for the 9 inches of Black Plastic, this again was done to reduce the overall visual height of the back end so it wouldn't look so thick top to bottom. The Difuser also serves to hide the Big Mufflers Hanging Out from under the back as they do on the 05-09's, which is something my Mom actually Loathed about the 05's when she first saw them. She got over it quickly.

If you really wanna know why, just look at the Grabber Blue Falken car with all of this trim painted Grabber Blue. I believe they could have executed it a little better, but overall it's growing on me.

Being a Designer Myself, which is why I picked up on the Theme, In general I think the designers wanted to do something fresh without diluting the Mustangs DNA. Personally I Really Like What I See, but As others have posted we all have our opinions.

Nice it get it now
Old 11/20/08 | 06:56 PM
Cobra R Member

Another Point I just noticed. The shape of the Mirrors now mimic's the forward slant of the "Shark Nose". Also the character line running across the top of the mirror mimics the front corner of the Hood, and the Facing of the Mirror mimic's the shape of the Headlights, with the same angle as the Grill Edge at the Mirrors Inner Edge. I just keep picking things up the more I look at this thing!

Attached Thumbnails 2010 In Good Company...-2010mustangintrolive_24pointers.jpg  
Old 11/20/08 | 08:29 PM
Cobra R Member

I pretty much called this one too.

Old 11/20/08 | 08:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Dipping tail lights achieve:
The optical illusion that 1) the car is smaller by looking like the taillights actually wrap around the corner like the Porches. The front hood sloping downward and the tighter opening also the fenders up front around the headlights help with the effect. Its beginning to grow on me already. Good shots coming out today too.
Old 11/20/08 | 10:17 PM
MBK
Mach 1 Member

great observations
Old 11/21/08 | 06:41 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by fdjizm

this is my take
I agree! Those shaved sides of the bumper look weird. As a whole the design is so-so, but it no longer looks great from all angles. The bumper ends tucked in as they are, really look horrid.

Quick Reply: 2010 In Good Company...