Sponsored By:

2010 Ford Mustang Quieter Where It Counts

Search this Thread

Old 11/17/08, 11:17 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2010 Ford Mustang Quieter Where It Counts

2010 FORD MUSTANG QUIETER WHERE IT COUNTS
  • Addition of sound absorptive and damping materials improves sound level in cabin
  • Tuning of induction system and exhaust enhances heritage Mustang sound
  • Integrated teamwork by designers, engineers key to solving wind, road noise issues
LOS ANGELES, Nov. 18, 2008 – The sound of a Mustang is one of the most evocative in the history of the automobile.

You know it when you hear it: that muscular burble at idle that transforms into an aggressive roar under hard acceleration. For 2010, Noise, Vibration and Harshness (NVH) engineers for the Mustang focused on eliminating the unwanted sounds while maintaining the classic note of America’s favorite muscle car.

“We wanted to improve the driving environment for the customer. While you’re travelling down the road, it’s now much easier to have a conversation with your passengers, but when you stand on the gas, you still hear the roar of the engine and the sweet sound of the exhaust,” said Greg Wayne, NVH supervisor for the Mustang. “We maintained that Mustang characteristic sound, but made the whole driving experience much more enjoyable.”

The Mustang NVH team knows how important the sound of the Mustang is to its longstanding fans. They also are aware of how unwanted, unrefined noise detracts from the customer’s experience. So the team used a variety of methods and solutions to keep – and even enhance – Mustang’s heritage sound while eliminating unwanted noise.

Customers grapple with road noise, wind noise, powertrain whines, buzzes and booms – among others. Even storage compartments and doors on the new 2010 Mustang were “tuned” to create a more pleasing sound.

Wayne said the NVH team worked closely with their colleagues in Design Engineering and Manufacturing and Assembly to integrate the solutions, which sometimes were neither obvious nor easy.

“Wind noise, for example, is not only about adding absorption and deadening materials,” he said. “It’s also paying attention to the design details: for instance, where the radio antenna is located, how the wiper blades are styled and positioned relative to the hood and glass and how the exterior mirrors are shaped and mounted. There are many aspects from a design and assembly perspective you have to be aware of because each contributes to the overall sound quality you experience inside the car.”

On 2010 Mustang, the radio antenna was moved to the rear, creating a cleaner look on the front end as well as reducing wind noise. The mirrors were redesigned, resulting in aerodynamic gains and reducing wind noise. Those types of win-win solutions were the product of the teams setting a high baseline of expectation and working together diligently to make sure the designs met their targets every step of the way.

“One of the guiding principles for Ford NVH is 'Feels Right, Sounds Tight,’ ” Wayne said. “Door opening and closing falls right into our efforts to create a solid, vault-like sound when you close the door and that positive ‘snick’ and feel when you open it. A lot of factors play into that in terms of the door hardware – latches, strikers, sheet metal.”

Another door-closing variable involves the pressure wave it creates inside the vehicle. “How well the vehicle is sealed affects your door-closing efforts,” he added. “Design Engineering and NVH spent a lot of time on those details to get it just right. ”

Two of the most important tools used to control sound and vibration are the absorptive and damping materials. Absorptive materials are something akin to stuffing ear plugs or cotton into someone’s ears, keeping out loud noises while damping materials help reduce vibration.

Wayne said both were used strategically throughout the 2010 Mustang in areas such as the passenger side dash, trunk, hood, headliner and interior trim.

Mustang also features an industry-first Induction Sound Tube (IST), which enhances the driving experience by piping the sound of the induction system directly into the passenger compartment.

The revised Cold Air Induction system yields increased power but cuts out a significant portion of the interior sound and the character that customers want to hear. The IST was developed and tuned to recover and enhance that character.

The trick part of the system is that the potential for the aftermarket to develop custom tuning is highly likely, which is good news for Mustang – one of the industry’s most-customized vehicles.
“You still get to experience that distinctive Mustang sound our customers love,” Wayne said. “We just eliminated many of the noises and vibrations you don’t want to hear and feel on the new 2010 Mustang.”
Old 11/18/08, 01:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Mustang also features an industry-first Induction Sound Tube (IST), which enhances the driving experience by piping the sound of the induction system directly into the passenger compartment.

The revised Cold Air Induction system yields increased power but cuts out a significant portion of the interior sound and the character that customers want to hear. The IST was developed and tuned to recover and enhance that character."

Isn't this kinda weird? I don't want to hear my induction system, unless it's a super charger. I don't get it.
Old 11/18/08, 01:47 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Clino
"Mustang also features an industry-first Induction Sound Tube (IST), which enhances the driving experience by piping the sound of the induction system directly into the passenger compartment.

The revised Cold Air Induction system yields increased power but cuts out a significant portion of the interior sound and the character that customers want to hear. The IST was developed and tuned to recover and enhance that character."

Isn't this kinda weird? I don't want to hear my induction system, unless it's a super charger. I don't get it.
Agreed! I'm going to guess it's the tube shown here going from the inlet tube to...the firewall?

Old 11/18/08, 07:23 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I will say this - my good buddy has a Mazda Speed3 that we put a new open element CAI on

The filter is tucked up on the drivers side and to get to it you have to go through the driver side wheel well. It is pretty close to the firewall.

Ever since install, when he gives it any kind of substantial gas, you can hear the air being sucked right into the CAI....... its actually pretty darn cool.
Old 11/18/08, 07:40 AM

Yeah... ever since I upgraded to a C&L Intake, I can hear it sucking air every time I make a quick increase of throttle. It literally sounds like "ssswwhiifffPPP" for about 0.5 seconds.

Makes me punch the throttle alot more. Maybe you can hear that now with the stock intake?
Old 11/18/08, 08:06 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by krnpimpsta
Yeah... ever since I upgraded to a C&L Intake, I can hear it sucking air every time I make a quick increase of throttle. It literally sounds like "ssswwhiifffPPP" for about 0.5 seconds.

Makes me punch the throttle alot more. Maybe you can hear that now with the stock intake?
That seems to be the impression they are giving - definitely curious about it.
Old 11/18/08, 09:06 AM
GT Member

i think its badass
Old 11/18/08, 01:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

The road noise sound reduction was needed badly. My 05 is quite loud on a grooved interstate.
Old 11/18/08, 02:04 PM
Cobra Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Indystang
The road noise sound reduction was needed badly. My 05 is quite loud on a grooved interstate.
Now where near as loud as mine I asure you.
Old 11/18/08, 02:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Me, too. The one major issue I have long had with Mustangs is road noise. Drove my '94 from Virginia to Texas one year and actually lost the hearing in my left ear going across Arkansas! Didn't come back until I was west of Dallas!!

The '06 I have now is much better, but some of the local pavements still overpower conversation. If they have significantly improved the NVH in the '10, then there will be no doubt I will trade up (although probably not 'til '11 with the new powertrains).

I am impressed with Ford's efforts to sophisticate the Mustang without losing its fundamental nature. Truly broadening its already wide appeal.

Now if they would just add IRS, Bose audio, and AWD it'd be the perfect all-season personal sports coupe

Last edited by Zoomie; 11/18/08 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11/18/08, 02:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Meant to add: thanks for the info, Brad. That is good to know...

I wonder what impact removing the IST would have, both on sound and performance?
Old 11/18/08, 02:19 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,861 Likes on 2,112 Posts
Originally Posted by MTAS
Agreed! I'm going to guess it's the tube shown here going from the inlet tube to...the firewall?

That's the Coolest Thing I ever Heard! Piping the Induction Sound into the Passenger Compartment. If somebody had done that on their own they would have probably been Razzed Bigtime. I think Ford Just Started a New FAD. I like it!

BTW, Don't Try this with your Exhaust! Remember the Movie Thunderbolt and Lightfoot. Just Kidding!

Maybe it's Piped into the A/C Vents for SUPER COOL AIR! Kidding Again!

Also Since that Hose is After the MAF it must have Some Kind of Restrictor Baffle in it. I am Quite Curious at seeing this Setup in the Flesh.

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 11/18/08 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11/18/08, 07:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I like the sound like said with a CAI other than facory you hear it but did you also know I can almost see my fuel gauge need get sucked down when I get on it to !
Old 11/18/08, 10:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Mustang also features an industry-first Induction Sound Tube (IST), which enhances the driving experience by piping the sound of the induction system directly into the passenger compartment.

The revised Cold Air Induction system yields increased power but cuts out a significant portion of the interior sound and the character that customers want to hear. The IST was developed and tuned to recover and enhance that character.

The trick part of the system is that the potential for the aftermarket to develop custom tuning is highly likely, which is good news for Mustang – one of the industry’s most-customized vehicles.
“You still get to experience that distinctive Mustang sound our customers love,” Wayne said. “We just eliminated many of the noises and vibrations you don’t want to hear and feel on the new 2010 Mustang.”

This has to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard of. They should have taken the research time on this and used it to make a rear end that doesn't look horrible.
Old 11/18/08, 10:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
Does a person have to pay extra for that option?
Old 11/18/08, 11:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

I am not sure I want to hear the intake noise in the cabin. The roar or a finely tuned V-8 is good enough for me. When I was a young driver back in the 70's, us boys used to flip the air cleaner top cover upside down so the carberator noise was audible. I hope it doesn't sound like that. It was pretty dumb sounding as I recall.
Old 11/19/08, 03:10 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Zoomie
Now if they would just add IRS, Bose audio, and AWD it'd be the perfect all-season personal sports coupe
Why would anyone want Bose audio? Overrated junk.
Old 11/19/08, 03:40 AM
Cobra Member

I am a fan of the Induction Sound Tube (IST). The main reason people buy exhaust systems is to hear the engine. Now that the 2010 has more sound deadening it may be harder to hear the exhaust note. This is an innovative solution for gear heads that can not get enough of that classic V8 rumble.
Old 11/19/08, 07:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by holderca1
Why would anyone want Bose audio? Overrated junk.
Because the speakers are precisely matched and tuned to the actual interior of each model car into which they are installed, instead of mass-produced (however good quality), generic speakers that are just slapped into whatever convenient hole or crevice offers itself. The soundstage in Bose-equipped vehicles is phenomenal - the actual speakers really do disappear from the listener's perception.

Besides, did you miss the jesters? The whole paragraph was a joke...
Old 11/19/08, 07:20 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Zoomie
Because the speakers are precisely matched and tuned to the actual interior of each model car into which they are installed, instead of mass-produced (however good quality), generic speakers that are just slapped into whatever convenient hole or crevice offers itself. The soundstage in Bose-equipped vehicles is phenomenal - the actual speakers really do disappear from the listener's perception.

Besides, did you miss the jesters? The whole paragraph was a joke...
Yeah, but there are a lot better quality brands out there than Bose.

Yeah, I know it was a joke, I just hate anything Bose.

Quick Reply: 2010 Ford Mustang Quieter Where It Counts