Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2008 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 7/6/06, 04:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Mustang

Hey guys just read this in MotorTrend August 2006 page 12 quote below.

''Mustang Fords ioronic ponycar will be given a major face-lift in 2008 wherein every exterior panel except the roof center will be substantially changed."

Since I am looking to pick up a 08 anyone know anymore details (info) on the 2008's.

TIA
Old 7/6/06, 05:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2008?...last I heard it was going to end up being 2010 instread of '09...
Old 7/6/06, 05:41 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Nope...it'll be in 09 as an 010
2008 will be the same as the 05-07s...

Minor...maybe...
Major...no way till the MY2010
Old 7/6/06, 06:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

yeah, no way in hell FoMoCo moves that fast!
Old 7/8/06, 11:57 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rocket88
yeah, no way in hell FoMoCo moves that fast!
Remember, things they are a changin. One never knows.

Old 7/9/06, 11:09 AM
Jet

I think FoMoCo could and should pull it off if they can to keep the Stang in the publics eye, preventing any excitement of the Camaro from affecting sales too much. After all, it is our beloved Stang that has helped to keep Ford in business. My 06 will be paid off by then, so I'm game if Ford is. :^)
Old 7/9/06, 11:49 AM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will believe when I see it.
Old 7/9/06, 02:19 PM

Why are they changing the exterior? The exterior was the best part about the car. The cheapy-feel interior (basically everywhere but the wheel * guage cluster) needs the update.

note: Please don't get me wrong, my 2005 is my pride and joy, but why is my passenger dash airbag cover panel sparkly? Why do my doors look like they came from a 82 Mercury Topaz?

~nj?
Old 7/11/06, 06:09 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Jet
After all, it is our beloved Stang that has helped to keep Ford in business.
If only that were true.
Old 7/11/06, 07:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Necro Joe
Why are they changing the exterior? The exterior was the best part about the car. The cheapy-feel interior (basically everywhere but the wheel * guage cluster) needs the update.

note: Please don't get me wrong, my 2005 is my pride and joy, but why is my passenger dash airbag cover panel sparkly? Why do my doors look like they came from a 82 Mercury Topaz?

~nj?
Are you sure you are driving an '05? Have you driven back to back in an '05 and a previous (pick a generation/year) Mustang?

This is an economy sports car, that has very little direct competition to compare it to (though if you ask any car magazine, EVERY car should be an Audi competitor, price nonwithstanding). For a $25K American Icon, considering performance and chassis technology (no ox-cart references please, I was refering to the new engine, throttle by wire, great transmissions, etc) I think the interior is fine. You get exactly what you pay for (not to say I wouldn't like to see some nicer plastics).

As far as the exterior changing more than the interior, are you suprised? The Mustang has followed the same "basic" interior design for the last 13 years, which was based on the original design which lasted several generations (though I guess some would be considered "facelifts" today).

I agree with the above, you might see a few changes here or there, but the big changes aren't coming until a year or two after that.

Wow, I talk a lot.
Old 7/11/06, 08:36 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Old 7/12/06, 09:23 AM

While both the exterior and interior were huge improvements over the previous Stang, both in design and quality, as was the drivetrain and chassis, it would be terrible for Ford to let the Stang stagnate and incipient competition (Camaro and Challenger) trounce it.

The retro exterior, by being retro, however cool it might be on introduction, already starts a bit behind in the "seen that, done that" category and thus, probably has a shorter shelf life than a more modern rendition. So a good updating here would be necessary to keep it fresh against fresh competition.

Same basically with the drivetrain and chassis. While vast improvements over the ancient sedan underpinnings of the previous Stang, and cheap, they are hardly state of the art and especially with the rear suspension, quite archaic. While if price is your paramount consideration here, or even just drag racing, that's fine. But the Stang is ultimately a performance car, not econocar, and is showing up to the dance floor wearing some rather clunky boots. The engine bay will definitely need a bit more steam pressure if the Stang hopes to stay within the same time zone as the LS2s and Hemis the GM and DC contenders will be sporting at the stop light.

As for the interior, again, a huge improvement over the underwhelming previous Stang, but to say that comparison is sufficient is merely a case of meeting low expectations. Many cars, many very inexpensive cars for that matter, do an even better job in terms of materials, fit and finish, detailing, features, etc., so Ford could/should/oughta improve even further here.

The performance car arena is an ever changing one. To remain stagnant is to quickly fall. The Stang has been able to coast the past few years as the only significant American V8 sport coupe in the market, but that will change drastically in 2009 and Ford better be able to meet the competition head on rather than rest on its laurels. Ford's history in the past on this count has been fairly dismal across the board, hence their dismal recent state. But hopefully they will be much more on their game now, with the Stang and the rest of the lineup.
Old 7/12/06, 10:48 AM
Cobra Member

Maybe something minor in 08, but nothing major. I don't expect any big changes until the competition arrives.
Right now, I'll settle for a 350-400hp 2008 Mach1.

I'm hoping we get to see something new at the Detroit Auto Show.
Old 7/12/06, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by rhumb
While both the exterior and interior were huge improvements over the previous Stang, both in design and quality, as was the drivetrain and chassis, it would be terrible for Ford to let the Stang stagnate and incipient competition (Camaro and Challenger) trounce it.
Those cars don't exist in production form. This is pure speculation based on a concept car.
Old 7/13/06, 12:00 AM
Closet American

The retro exterior, by being retro, however cool it might be on introduction, already starts a bit behind in the "seen that, done that" category and thus, probably has a shorter shelf life than a more modern rendition. So a good updating here would be necessary to keep it fresh against fresh competition.
I disagree. Good design is good design; it is timeless, which describes the SN-197. So while some call it retro, I think most agree that the mid to late '60s Mustangs represented the high watershed mark for the model; the most coveted of all Mustangs. Current cars should evoke that classic style, IMHO. And the current car does.

Same basically with the drivetrain and chassis. While vast improvements over the ancient sedan underpinnings of the previous Stang, and cheap, they are hardly state of the art and especially with the rear suspension, quite archaic. While if price is your paramount consideration here, or even just drag racing, that's fine. But the Stang is ultimately a performance car, not econocar, and is showing up to the dance floor wearing some rather clunky boots. The engine bay will definitely need a bit more steam pressure if the Stang hopes to stay within the same time zone as the LS2s and Hemis the GM and DC contenders will be sporting at the stop light.
Certainly.

As for the interior, again, a huge improvement over the underwhelming previous Stang, but to say that comparison is sufficient is merely a case of meeting low expectations. Many cars, many very inexpensive cars for that matter, do an even better job in terms of materials, fit and finish, detailing, features, etc., so Ford could/should/oughta improve even further here.
Really, materials quality is the single problem here (design and fit is reasonably good): cheap hard plastics, carpet that wears out prematurely, etc. Hopefully this will be addressed in the next variant

The performance car arena is an ever changing one. To remain stagnant is to quickly fall. The Stang has been able to coast the past few years as the only significant American V8 sport coupe in the market, but that will change drastically in 2009 and Ford better be able to meet the competition head on rather than rest on its laurels. Ford's history in the past on this count has been fairly dismal across the board, hence their dismal recent state. But hopefully they will be much more on their game now, with the Stang and the rest of the lineup.
The arrival of the Camaro and Challenger are the best thing that could have happened - it will force the Blue Oval to up their game at a time when the light finally does seem to have come on at Ford corporate headquarters.
Old 7/13/06, 11:38 AM
Team Mustang Source

Even without Ford's current fiscal situation, its not IMO going to happen. Find it hard to believe they didn't delay a year as it is.
Old 7/13/06, 01:00 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by alrox
Those cars don't exist in production form. This is pure speculation based on a concept car.
Daimler has announced production on the Challenger. Chevrolet has every intent to build the Camaro...some speculate that it's already in progress. FWIW, the new Transformers movie due out 7/4/07 has the new Camaro as the star of it. I doubt GM would go to such lengths and not build the car. They will.

Bumblebee:
http://www.mnaudi.com/mymnaudi/images/1408/4-transformers-2007-camaro.jpg
http://images.leftlanenews.com/conte...un27-trans.jpg
Old 7/13/06, 06:47 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Josh69
...FWIW, the new Transformers movie due out 7/4/07 has the new Camaro as the star of it. I doubt GM would go to such lengths and not build the car. They will.
Then Ford better make sure Grimlock appears in that movie!
Old 7/24/06, 01:54 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by hi5.0
Then Ford better make sure Grimlock appears in that movie!
I'm a little late to respond, but the 'bad guy' in the move is a 2006? Mustang, a cop car, that supposedly destroys the original bumblebee which I think is an older Camaro, then he is resurrected as the 2008/9 Camaro.

Of course, I don't know how big their respective roles are, but that's what's floating around.

The cop car says 'To Punish and Enslave'...rather than 'To Protect and to Serve'. I thought that was pretty funny.

Here is a link to the pics...also shows what may be the original 'bumblebee', a 70's Camaro:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/05/...formers-movie/
Old 7/25/06, 09:59 AM
V6 Member

Wasn't the original Bumblebee from the cartoon a VW Beetle?

Gack, I'm showing my age!

Quick Reply: 2008 Mustang