2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

1st manual

Search this Thread

Old 12/29/09 | 12:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

1st manual

I really am leaning toward getting a 5.0 but this car will be my first manual transmission car. How hard was it for you all to learn a manual? I have a friend with a 5 spd v6 and have driven it a couple times. I did pretty well. Do you all think it would be a bad idea getting the 5.0 or not?
Old 12/29/09 | 12:47 AM
Cobra R Member

It isn't the 5.0, the horsepower, torque, the weight, the car itself... really those variables are secondary. No one knows how this trans feels. Each has it's own uniqueness. To say one way or another, none of us know yet. Obviously, I'm sure it'll be a well-made drivers car, but asking this is like asking what's the difference from driving in the snow to driving on dry pavement. There's a a lot of obvious, and simple things one can say... but you're best bet is figuring it out yourself by driving it.

The principles of shifting will obviously stay the same...
Old 12/29/09 | 01:07 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

DO IT!!
Get the 6spd manual 5.0 Mustang. Man, that just sounds super sweet!!

There is a learning curve for sure, but I have yet to meet an enthusiast as yourself fail. Its impossible!! You won't regret the fun factor.
Old 12/29/09 | 01:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

If I get one, it will be my first manual that I own as well. I'm a bit nervous, but I know we will pick it up quick. I'm worried about the 1-4 skip shift though. I've never encountered that in any car I've driven before as it's more of a pretty modern feature, so hopefully being somewhat inexperienced with owning a manual, will lend me to be more adaptable to such anomalies.
Old 12/29/09 | 01:47 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
I'm worried about the 1-4 skip shift though.
Please don't tell me the new tranny comes with this!

As for those that have no or little experience of driving a manual, how about swallowing some pride and getting a few lessons with a driving instructor? In the UK, the opposite is usually the case. We learn in manuals, so many will never have driven an auto transmission. Obviously it's a lot easier to drive an auto after learning in a manual, but we do have the option of having a few lesson with an instructor, if necessary

FWIW, I wouldn't buy a Mustang without a manual 'box.
Old 12/29/09 | 02:02 AM
MOTM Committee Member

when I was getting my first car I made sure it was a manual. Couldn't even drive it home lol. My mom taught me and it took about 2 wks before I was fully comfortable.

I remember flooring it to avoid stalling going from neutral to first Those were the days!
Don't do that in the mustang by the way, I could get away with cuz my car was FWD and only had 126hp
Old 12/29/09 | 05:45 AM
Cobra R Member

I didn't know how to drive stick and never had a manual car to practice on, drove my new mustang right off the lot after stalling twice and went home there was no way i was getting a mustang in auto lol.

yea i cooked some clutch in the very beginning. ah well, i am pretty good with it now and can even powershift

laserred? SKIP SHIFT? thats the camaro...

Last edited by fdjizm; 12/29/09 at 05:47 AM.
Old 12/29/09 | 06:17 AM
Team Mustang Source

When I sold my 1976 Trans Am I bought a 1985 Mustang GT with a stick (never drove one)...I had the salesguy, a friend, show me around the lot for 5 minutes and then I drove it home...no regrets.
Old 12/29/09 | 06:57 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I'm a little confused by this skip shift thing as well. What the heck is that? Does the trans shift itself into 4th or what? How would that work on a manual.

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo

As for those that have no or little experience of driving a manual, how about swallowing some pride and getting a few lessons with a driving instructor? In the UK, the opposite is usually the case. We learn in manuals, so many will never have driven an auto transmission. Obviously it's a lot easier to drive an auto after learning in a manual, but we do have the option of having a few lesson with an instructor, if necessary

Old 12/29/09 | 07:19 AM
I Have No Life

In a couple articles I read, they mentioned the MT82 on the GT has skip shift.

Basically it forces you to go from 1 to 4 (locking out 2 and 3) if you accelerate mildly.
Camaro/Vette have used this for years, and people have found ways around it.
Old 12/29/09 | 07:22 AM
Cobra R Member

Skip shift is a fuel economy feature. At low speeds or part throttle conditions it locks out some of the gears in the transmission forcing you to go to a higher gear. So if you're putt putting along in say 3rd gear and want to shift into 4th, and your under a certain speed the computer will lock out 4th gear and force you to go to 5th. It only locks out the gears when your trying to shift, so you can't simply go back to the gear you were in because it gets locked out also
Old 12/29/09 | 07:44 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

OK, thanks guys! It doesn't sound too bad. Just keep the RPM's high and then it doesn't hassle you? Is that it?

Sounds like something that should be disabled after you get the car?

Originally Posted by bluethunderhorse
Skip shift is a fuel economy feature. At low speeds or part throttle conditions it locks out some of the gears in the transmission forcing you to go to a higher gear. So if you're putt putting along in say 3rd gear and want to shift into 4th, and your under a certain speed the computer will lock out 4th gear and force you to go to 5th. It only locks out the gears when your trying to shift, so you can't simply go back to the gear you were in because it gets locked out also
Old 12/29/09 | 07:55 AM

Wow, skipshift sounds annoying... if I want fuel economy from skipshifting, I'll do it myself...
Old 12/29/09 | 09:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Yeap. Just repeating what I've read on here and other sites. No telling if that is actually true, but I'd really not want to deal with it in my first manual car, looking like a retard trying to shift into 2nd and banging the shifter against a wall where 2nd gear should be, then having to find 4th from 1st!
Old 12/29/09 | 10:06 AM
Cobra R Member

If the car does come out with it somebody will have skip shift eliminators or a tune by the time the car goes on sale
Old 12/29/09 | 10:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Skip shift is a good thing. It boosts the MPG numbers and avoids the gas guzzler tax. To avoid the skip shift, you have two options.
  1. Put your right foot down
  2. Spend $30 and five minutes of your time
Old 12/29/09 | 10:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yeap. Just repeating what I've read on here and other sites. No telling if that is actually true, but I'd really not want to deal with it in my first manual car, looking like a retard trying to shift into 2nd and banging the shifter against a wall where 2nd gear should be, then having to find 4th from 1st!
You won't have to do that. The shifter will guide you smoothly from first to fourth.
Old 12/29/09 | 10:21 AM
I will buy Jack Stands!!!

If I can get to being fully comfortable driving a stick in 2 days at age 15, a day after I got my permit, you can do it too!
Old 12/29/09 | 10:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2010MustangGT
It isn't the 5.0, the horsepower, torque, the weight, the car itself... really those variables are secondary. No one knows how this trans feels. Each has it's own uniqueness. To say one way or another, none of us know yet. Obviously, I'm sure it'll be a well-made drivers car, but asking this is like asking what's the difference from driving in the snow to driving on dry pavement. There's a a lot of obvious, and simple things one can say... but you're best bet is figuring it out yourself by driving it.

The principles of shifting will obviously stay the same...
I am pretty much just talking about getting the hang of taking off in 1st. I know that hp,trq, and weight will all be a factor, its just the fact that it will be my first manual and I am nervous yet excited.

Originally Posted by ManEHawke
DO IT!!
Get the 6spd manual 5.0 Mustang. Man, that just sounds super sweet!!

There is a learning curve for sure, but I have yet to meet an enthusiast as yourself fail. Its impossible!! You won't regret the fun factor.
When I drove my friends v6 I started to gain some confidence and it was fun as hell. My dad had a 99 35th anv. GT and he took me to a mall parking lot. I couldn't brlieve how well I did. The clutch in that was so heavy for me at the time bc I was only 15 but dam was it fun.

Thanks for the confidence and support.

If I get one, it will be my first manual that I own as well. I'm a bit nervous, but I know we will pick it up quick. I'm worried about the 1-4 skip shift though. I've never encountered that in any car I've driven before as it's more of a pretty modern feature, so hopefully being somewhat inexperienced with owning a manual, will lend me to be more adaptable to such anomalies.
Hopefully that won't be to much of a problem bc it sounds like the trans will just glide into forth but we will hace to wait and see. Get One it will be totallty worth it

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo

Pride has nothing to do with for. I know when I am not good at something and I have no problem asking for help. Too bad the U.S. isn't like this. I feel that it makes drivers lazy bc then all of the teen drivers will just sit back and blare there freakin music instead of paying attention to the road. With a manual I feel it forces you to focus more on driving the car then about what music you listen to. Plus its a hell of a lot of fun.

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
when I was getting my first car I made sure it was a manual. Couldn't even drive it home lol. My mom taught me and it took about 2 wks before I was fully comfortable.

I remember flooring it to avoid stalling going from neutral to first Those were the days!
Don't do that in the mustang by the way, I could get away with cuz my car was FWD and only had 126hp
don't worry with 412hp I won't be doing that. I think I will have my dad teach me but I just want to be able to drive it off the lot.

Originally Posted by fdjizm
I didn't know how to drive stick and never had a manual car to practice on, drove my new mustang right off the lot after stalling twice and went home there was no way i was getting a mustang in auto lol.

yea i cooked some clutch in the very beginning. ah well, i am pretty good with it now and can even powershift

laserred? SKIP SHIFT? thats the camaro...
That just makes me want one even more. I just don't want anybody to hit me when pulling out the lot. The dealership I am buying the car from has a really busy street right where the exit is. I will just have to wait and see I guess. The only way I could get the one I have now was if it was an auto. I really wanted a manual but my parents were buying the car and it was either a mustang or an accord. You pick?

Originally Posted by Topnotch
When I sold my 1976 Trans Am I bought a 1985 Mustang GT with a stick (never drove one)...I had the salesguy, a friend, show me around the lot for 5 minutes and then I drove it home...no regrets.
I might do that. Sounds like a good idea learn in a dealercar then take my 5.0 home.
Old 12/29/09 | 10:43 AM
I will buy Jack Stands!!!

If you're really good you can blare your music and shift and pay attention...

Quick Reply: 1st manual