Black Black 2005+ Mustangs

Clean freak + black 05 = bad

Search this Thread

Old 11/5/04, 01:51 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have determined today that I am going to go insane. I cant even count how much time I've spent cleaning my car over the last two weeks that I've had it... I CANT KEEP IT CLEAN ARGGGG

Feel free to post tips in here on ways to keep black paint looking clean ;p

if its not dirt, its a water mark. if its not a water mark, its a tinyyyyy scratch etc etc :bang:
Old 11/5/04, 01:53 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wax that baby every 2 weeks. It will make it easier for you to wash it. Get use to cleaning it alot. I was my 97 every 2 weeks and the dealer keeps bugging me to trade it in because the paint is still in factory condition.
Old 11/5/04, 01:55 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Well, I will just say that I have had a black car for the past 3 years and that I don't have any tips. Just enjoy the 15 minutes after you clean it, after that dust and everything else shows up on it. Not to make it sound all bad though, you will notice the little things more than anyone else will.
Old 11/5/04, 01:56 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@November 5, 2004, 2:56 PM
Was that baby every 2 weeks. It will make it easier for you to wash it. Get use to cleaning it alot. I was my 97 every 2 weeks and the dealer keeps bugging me to trade it in because the paint is still in factory condition.
I actually was washing mine more than once a week.
Old 11/5/04, 01:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

This is the ONLY thing that kept me from getting Black. I just don't have that kind of time since I'll be working alot of 12-14 hour days. I want to be able to just drive it and enjoy it when I'm off and only wash/wax every couple of weeks.
Old 11/5/04, 02:02 PM
V6 Member

Sugestions:
Keep it polished and waxed
Turtle wax sells polish in colors (easy to use comes in black) great stuff.
after washing blow dry with a yard blower (if car is waxed water will walk right off)
Touch up as needed with a detailer spray like Meguiars Quick Detailer
and finally realize the only cars that stay flawless are the ones never drivin.
Old 11/5/04, 02:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Build an air tight glass case for it. Vacuum seal it and put it on display in your livingroom!

Oh, he was serious? Sorry!

Wax it once a month and buy a car cover!
Old 11/5/04, 02:44 PM

I would not recommend using any color-died waxes....they create a huge mess (hands, towels, clothes etc will be covered in black pigment) and tend to only improve the car's looks for a month or so.

My advice would be to wash every week, wax every 2-3 months and use a quick detailer such as meguiar's in between. Or just sell your black car for a silver one like I did.
Old 11/5/04, 02:44 PM

I use Meguire's gold class wax, hand wash it only myself and dry it with a chamois. I have a black truck, six years old and it looks brand new
Old 11/5/04, 03:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Oh yeah - You have now stepped into the black car owners world!!! After a second thought I changed my order to silver. Black cars are nice but drive you nuts. My cobra shows every little inperfection. Every thing seems magnafied with black car s. They only look clean right after you wash them. Even on a nice day the road dust will create a film that makes your car look dirty all over again. i will never buy another black car
Old 11/5/04, 03:06 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
I had a black GT and a black Mach 1. It's impossible to keep a black car looking clean all the time. It's a lost cause, the dust and dirt win everytime. I'd get use to washing it once a week and enjoying it while it lasts, otherwise you'll wash it down to the primer and get tennis elbows.
Old 11/5/04, 03:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Settle down Felix Unger, you'll get through this! JUST ENJOY IT!

The very 1st night me and my ex brought the new Camry home someone opened their passenger side door and left a ding plus a chip!
2nd day the rear bumper was scuffed and under that nice silver was a black bumper. I don't have to tell you how black stands out on silver!
That's just how life goes, enjoy it for the moment cause tomorrow is not promised.

It would be a shame to spend all that time cleaning her and not getting to enjoy her!

Now go driving, let the wind blow that dirt off and if it doesn't you're not driving fast enough!

Go Baby Go! :drive:
Old 11/5/04, 03:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

I use maguires cleaning components, they work great! I've had a dark red car before, and the dirt on it was sooo visible that I couldn't take it, I used maguires, the dirt came off it like a shine.....
Old 11/5/04, 03:33 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Black cars are easy to take care of, IF you have the proper tools. Start off using a clay bar to get any contaminents out of the paint. Then use a Swirl Mark remover, I prefer 3Ms product. I apply the swirl mark remover using a PC random orbital buffer. Then apply a wax, I like NXT and you should be nearly swirl mark free. Always hand wash when u can and use HIGH QUALITY wash mitts and towels.
Old 11/5/04, 03:51 PM
V6 Member

If you can, keep it garaged and under a car cover when youre not driving it. If you dont have a garage at least use the cover. I usually wash my black 97 every Friday night and it looks dirty every Monday! Such is the price for style. Still love black though and my next Mustang will be black. Its just me B)
Oh, and try not to hate them dirty sons a @#%*!!s that cant AIM a water sprinkler ONTO a lawn to save their lives. They know not what they do and taking a baseball bat to their sprinkler heads will only cause more trouble. Trust me, Ive considered it!
Old 11/5/04, 03:56 PM
V6 Member

When I had a black car, I used the Mother's system, which includes a cleaner (which you don't need to use on a new car), a glaze (which fills in fine scratches and swirl marks) and the carnuba wax. Doing this was an all-day job, but the car looked fantastic when it was done.

Plus, once it was waxed, dirt didn't stick to it as much and it was very easy to wash as the water beaded up, ready for the chamois.

The car (a 1990 RX-7) was eight years old when I sold it. It was recently waxed and the buyer assumed it had been recently repainted, the shine was so deep.

Lots of work, but nothing looks better than a freshly waxed black car.

On the other hand, my current car is a nice, easy to keep clean silver! It's nowhere near as rewarding to wax, though.
Old 11/5/04, 04:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Ahhhh the joy of a black car. However gorgeous my black 95 was I'm never getting one again. It's just too much of a pita to keep clean. And I guess that's something all of us have to learn by trying it once...
Old 11/5/04, 04:17 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by s197fan@November 5, 2004, 3:47 PM
I would not recommend using any color-died waxes....they create a huge mess (hands, towels, clothes etc will be covered in black pigment) and tend to only improve the car's looks for a month or so.

My advice would be to wash every week, wax every 2-3 months and use a quick detailer such as meguiar's in between. Or just sell your black car for a silver one like I did.

Gee............I don't know what to say I never had any mess at all with the black colored turtle wax polish.
It was originally recomended by a friend who works at a Ford dealer auto body shop.
Whatever works for you I guess!
Old 11/5/04, 04:20 PM
Bullitt Member

I recently tried Eagle 1 Nanowax on a black car in our stable, it worked awesome. Easy to apply, quick drying, and decent results with only one coat. Give it a try if you are short on time and don't want to hassle with the Zaino hocus pocus. Best of luck.
Old 11/5/04, 04:22 PM
GT Member

I was thinking about black turtle wax actually.

What do you guys recommend as the best thing to fix very very minor scratches?

Quick Reply: Clean freak + black 05 = bad