Black Black 2005+ Mustangs

Adopted a new Mustang...

Search this Thread

Old 9/17/09, 08:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adopted a new Mustang...

Figured I'd post this up again since it disappeared (along with my post count...)

I've told a few folks on here about a black '06 Mustang I was "refurbishing." Well, I've finally got to the point where I'm ready to post pics (and the story) of the work thus far. I'll warn you, its a long read, but it has some good pics B)

About a year ago I began looking for a second Mustang to give a good home. I'd done as many bolt ons (I think) as I wanted to do to my Torch Red and was needing something else to wrench on. I had a few motives that I was trying to convince myself were the reason (needed another project, wanted to learn how to drive a 5spd, kinda wanted a vert, my dad was bored and wanted to help, etc, etc), but I really just wanted a second Mustang. I started out my search looking for an S95 GT for cost reasons, then started looking closely at 01 Bullitts and 03-04 Mach 1s - thought a special edition would be very cool. I always kept an eye on used S197s, but never found the right one for a decent price.

About 10 months into my search, I found an '06 Black GT Premium Vert for what I thought was a misprint on AutoTrader. I called the dealer (VW dealer in just outside STL), he confirmed the price and I went to look at it. Found out later that it was the only American car on the lot (and coincidentally had the highest horsepower of anything there) and the dealer just wanted to get rid of it. It had just turned over 60K miles and was obviously someone's daily driver. The paint needed a lot of TLC. It had been in a front driver's side accident (airbags had not been deployed) and the clear coat from the repaint was peeling off the driver side door. It had lots of rock chips, but no serious dings, dents, or anything that would cost a decent chunk of change to repair. The interior, top and underhood were in great shape - almost too good to be true. It even had a Shaker 1000 - an option I wouldn't have paid for new. It checked out very well mechanically, the clutch was still in good shape and my wife loved the idea of having a convertible. So, home she came.

I knew after having it in the garage, sitting next to the Torch Red, that it wasn't going to look stock for long. I spent a lot of time on a lot of forums trying to determine the direction I wanted to go with mods. I knew I was going to start with exterior mods because I had to get the peeling paint taken care of. I also knew that if I was going to paint the car, I wanted to do LeMans stripes, so I had my body shop paint me a few sample colors on a scrap bumper:

I was debating between white and silver, but after checking out a lot car shows and pics, I decided to go with a Shelby GT theme and chose silver. And being that Shelby never built a black vert Shelby GT, I knew it was going to be a unique car.

I ordered the GT/CS front and rear bumpers from KC at Clevenger (thanks man!) and starting picking up other parts as well. When I had most everything, she went in for paint. I did most of the the take apart myself at the body shop (Cornerstone Auto Body in St. Peters, MO) and then the Cornerstone team went to work.

After the team at Cornerstone starting sanding into the existing paint, we found a few additional dings and dents that needed to be fixed, so it got more sanding down to the metal than I was expecting. Also decided to lose the spoiler, and very glad I did.

It spent a solid 3 weeks in paint and the team at Cornerstone took amazing care of her. (And she spent most of the time sitting next to a '71 Yenko Camero in the process of a complete rebuild!)

Right before the hood was ready to be re-painted, I happened to find an actual Shelby GT hood scoop in southern MO from a Shelby GT that someone was turning into a drag car and replaced the whole hood. What a find! Got the vinyl stripe off and had it painted to match.

After a very long three weeks, I brought her home. I was blown away at how much different the paint looked with a fresh coat. The GT/CS bumpers looked perfect and I installed the Shelby brake duct/fog lights in the front. Added a Bullitt grill and put in a 3d Carbon tri-bar pony emblem from their Eleanor grill.

Also put in the clear corner lights and chrome bulbs from StangMods. Found the Shelby GT "Powered By Ford" emblems on eBay and paid way too much for them!

Right after I saw how great this car was coming along, I knew I had to do something about the rusty brake rotors and yellowing calipers. And I figured I might as well show off that work with some new 18" wheels. I added RotoPros discs with black centers all around and new ceramic pads. Painted the calipers black with a G2 kit.

For wheels and tires, I went with Stack Racing 18" deep dish Bulletts from American Muscle wrapped in Nitto 555s. I couldn't believe the difference those wheels made!

I added a few interior mods from Scott Drake and MGW Ltd. and racing pedals from AutoVation.

And while I'm nowhere near done modding this car (haven't even started under the hood yet - have to decide which SC to go with), I'm pretty darn happy with how she's come out so far.

And she looks just perfect sitting next to my Torch Red - check out the plates!

Next in line is the new exhaust. Decided on the FRPP GT "Special" mufflers (read: KR) from Weir Performance Parts - they'll be here in a week.

For the rest of build pics and the ongoing album, check out:

Triple Black Album

I have to say that when I bought this car, I had no thought that she would be able to sit next to my Torch Red at a car show and actually compete. Now I know that I was completely wrong. Both of these cars are going to be entered at every show I attend.

I could never ask for a better hobby! Long live the Mustang!

(Thanks for reading this extremely long post and hope you enjoy the pics!)

Jeff

Last edited by STL-GT; 9/17/09 at 09:33 AM.
Old 9/17/09, 09:06 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much did you pay for an entire repaint?
Old 9/17/09, 09:08 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts

It's breathtaking! I now have a new favorite car on this site sir.

You really know how to mod a Mustang the right way.
Old 9/17/09, 09:10 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I dont think it was an entire repaint.... Awesome car!!!!

Why fill the GT holes just to cover them with another emblem though....?
Old 9/17/09, 09:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BlueSkyVert
How much did you pay for an entire repaint?
The entire re-paint was about $7K with the stripes (LeMans and side), but OMG what a difference! It looks like you can dip your fingers into it!
Old 9/17/09, 09:12 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just saw that your red Stang doesn't have a 5 speed...isn't it FUN to shift through the gears?? Having 2 is a blast It's like deciding what to wear in the morning..."the red one or the black one?"

Yeah, it doesn't have that lovely OEM orange peel
Old 9/17/09, 09:14 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
are those the drilled and slotted or dimpled and slotted rotors?
Did u paint the centers or did it come that way?
Old 9/17/09, 09:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs

It's breathtaking! I now have a new favorite car on this site sir.

You really know how to mod a Mustang the right way.
Thanks man! That's a huge compliment coming from someone with your setup!

I appreciate you answering my questions as well - definitely used yours as a template for the bumpers and the grille. I really tried to go with the matte black ghost stripes, but couldn't figure out a way to do them right. I think the silver turned out pretty darn well, tho.
Old 9/17/09, 09:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Barricade
I dont think it was an entire repaint.... Awesome car!!!!

Why fill the GT holes just to cover them with another emblem though....?
It was an entire repaint - every external surface was re-shot. And the emblem holes weren't filled. I knew I was going to cover them with the new emblems, so I didn't bother filling them.
Old 9/17/09, 09:17 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by STL-GT
Thanks man! That's a huge compliment coming from someone with your setup!

I appreciate you answering my questions as well - definitely used yours as a template for the bumpers and the grille. I really tried to go with the matte black ghost stripes, but couldn't figure out a way to do them right. I think the silver turned out pretty darn well, tho.

Silver turned out great. Love the Bullitt grille. I honestly just love everything about it. Makes me want to go buy a balck vert and copy you but unfortunately the wallet won't allow it.

I am trying to find a way to make the flat black stripes permanent myself. It's not just as easy as having them painted on.

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 9/17/09 at 09:34 AM.
Old 9/17/09, 09:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BlueSkyVert
I just saw that your red Stang doesn't have a 5 speed...isn't it FUN to shift through the gears?? Having 2 is a blast It's like deciding what to wear in the morning..."the red one or the black one?"

Yeah, it doesn't have that lovely OEM orange peel
Definitely digging the 5spd. Still getting used to it though - sometimes I try to shift the TR and forget that I have to shift the Black one!

Have to admit, its pretty darn cool having both of them!
Old 9/17/09, 09:23 AM
Bullitt Member

are those the drilled and slotted or dimpled and slotted rotors?
Did u paint the centers or did it come that way?
They're drilled and slotted - RotorPros standard rotors. I caught a special on their eBay page with free painted centers, free shipping and free ceramic pads! Can't beat that!

Here's the link: RotorPros Store
Old 9/17/09, 09:24 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Nice Work !looking real good .
Old 9/17/09, 09:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Silver turned out great. Love the Bullitt grille. I honestly just love everything about it. Makes me want to go buy a balck vert and copy you but unfortunately the wallet won't allow it.

I am trying to find a way to make the falt black stripes permanent myself. It's not just as easy as having them painted on.
Totally agree. My body shop guy is top notch and we really struggled with how to do matte or flat black right without it chalking up or scratching or polishing up if it got hit by wax.
Old 9/17/09, 09:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
Nice Work !looking real good .
Awesome car!!!!
Thanks!
Old 9/18/09, 12:19 PM
GT Member

looks great!
Old 9/20/09, 12:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Very nice pair of Mustangs! It's good having both a 5 spd AND an auto. Now that you're shifting you should invest in a good shifter. I put an MGW in mine & I absolutely love it.
Old 9/20/09, 12:28 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by mcate
Very nice pair of Mustangs! It's good having both a 5 spd AND an auto. Now that you're shifting you should invest in a good shifter. I put an MGW in mine & I absolutely love it.
Agreed! MGW FTW! I love mine too.
Old 9/20/09, 12:34 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Really nice work!
Old 9/20/09, 01:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Your two cars are amazing! And not to hijack the thread, but could the Shelby brake duct/fog lights fit in a regular GT bumper? Still learning all about S197s.

Quick Reply: Adopted a new Mustang...