Ford OEM Parts {Oem Ford Parts Information & Links} Get Ford Parts from Forum Member 05stangkc {Ebay Sales Link}

The Great Faux Gas Cap Topic 05-09 Mustang Rear Emblem

Search this Thread

Old 7/16/22, 11:13 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,861 Likes on 2,112 Posts
Cool The Great Faux Gas Cap Topic 05-09 Mustang Rear Emblem

V6 Gas Cap 5R3Z-6342528-AA

Trashed Gas Cap Listed on Ebay as we speak!
5R3Z-6342528-AA

Hello Old Friends & Mustangers,

Ole 05stangkc is Posting today after a Long Pause! To make a Long Story Short I still have the same old email from the Clevenger Parts Era and Since Posts are Still floating around I seem to be the Lost all hope guy to Find Obsolete Mustang Parts for the 05-09 Sn197's. Here of Late it's for the V6 Pony Faux Deck Lid Badge. Upon Further Investigation it Looks Like All the Caps are Discontinued. I would surmise the V6 Pony's were more Daily Drivers & Exposed to the Elements so they are the Ones that are Needed. I have been giving the options I would use to the Stangers Email. I guess I can't stop trying to help the 05-09 Guys so I decided to dive in head first. I got a few Used Caps to see if they are restorable. Once the cap is off the vehicle and in your hands thinks become apparent and these are delicate items after all these years and you can only do so much. Anyhoo so much for the short story.

I just got the caps and have plans on how to fix them to the nicest shape and will get to that when I actually repair them. I will show you what to look for when getting a Used cap so you don't get surprised. I did with the Very First One and More Education on the Second. Still waiting on one more. These tips will apply to all Sn197 Caps. First Thing I'm going to do is list all the Caps With Pic & Part Number. I got these on aftermarket sites as I no longer have Access to FORD CATALOGING or INVENTORY.

Pictured above is 5R3Z-6342528-AA for Base V6 Mustangs and Believe this that Ratty Cap Pictured with The Peeling Chrome and No Badge is Currently Listed on Ebay. That is a HOPELESS cap and unless it was the last Cap in the World to plug the Holes! No Thanks! The Wrinkled Chrome is The Death Nell for these Caps. Nothing you can do but Cover it up! See Super Snake Post Below.

Okay now what to do with the Info. This is my Advice if you need a cap and can find an NOS New Old Stock Cap and it's Not an Arm & a Leg Buy it! Start Looking Right Now. On Ebay a Few Weeks Back Somebody got an NOS Cap for the V6 at Just Under a $100.00. The Guy Took a Best Offer to Boot. I would have snapped that up in a Heart beat if I had Base Model even if I did not Need it Now and it was a Forever Car Like My Shelby is. Another one sold in minutes this A.M. for $149.00. The Shelby Ones are being Listed at $500.00 Now That Hurts. Ok so here is what you do. I'm Listing the Caps with Part Number and Picture so you have the correct part number to search for. Go to Ebay and Go to advanced Search & Save a Search for the Part Number you want. You will get an email whenever a new Cap is Listed by That Part Number.

Many of the Used Caps Listed will come up as well. Once the Emblems are Removed is gives Access to the ID# which Ford Uses to Identify the Part in it's Unfinished State. More than one Part number of Cap may have Same ID#. Say the Backs of the Cap are the same on GT & V6 with just the Emblem being different. Anyhoo just for Reference so you know what that is all about. The Used Ones are Mostly Listed by #ID. Might want to include these if you are going Used 4R33-6342508-AD & 4R33-6342508-BD These are the only ID# I have at the Moment.

So also what you might want to try first is if you have a Good Ford Dealer Parts Person who is Helpful & willing to go out of their Way.

So You Trot on down there with part Number in Hand if you need it and ask them to check if they have or can still get the Part. When they Come Back & say No see if they Offer to do a Parts Locate on Oe Connection. This System will check the Inventory of other Ford Dealers. They will either offer to do so or ask if you want the Print out. Oh and if they give you the Print out Sometimes when you call the Dealer they don't want to sell to Private Parties. But that was way back in the Day before Internet Sales were a thing but you Never Know.

Be advised my info is dated but I don't think the locater Info has changed. Usually depending on where you are if there are still a lot of them out the the Dealers will be listed by Distance from Inquiring Dealer. Now if there are only a few It will show all that is left for U.S. Normally Dealers sell at Cost + 10 to Other Dealers. So your Dealer is Going to have to pay more & how they mark it up is up to them. Sometimes they just don't want to fool with the sale & may tell you there are none out there. If you get this story I would try it with Another Dealer to see if they say the same! Oh and This Process will work on any Ford Part Number!

07/19/22 UPDATE. I called an old Friend who is still working at a Ford Dealer and had him Check all the Numbers on the Oe Connection Locator. Dead Issue the Faux Caps are Gone Checking From California. The Process Explained is Still Good Info for Other Recently Obsoleted Ford Part Numbers.

Great Youtube on How to Remove Car Emblems.

ONWARD!
K

Last edited by 05stangkc; 7/26/22 at 06:52 PM. Reason: missed item
The following users liked this post:
Ed Iverson (2/15/23)
Old 7/16/22, 11:16 AM

California Special 7R3Z-6342528-AA

Old 7/16/22, 11:21 AM

GT Faux Gas Cap 7R3Z-6342528-BA

The Gt Cap was originally 5R3Z-6342528-BA Ford Later Changed it To 7R3Z-6342528-BA of Note Sometimes a Dealer would not update the Number Change at the Dealership so Search for Both Part Numbers on Ebay as Well as your Ford Dealer Search!

Last edited by 05stangkc; 7/19/22 at 11:51 AM.
Ed Iverson (2/15/23)
Old 7/16/22, 11:23 AM

BULLITT Faux Cap 8R3Z-6342528-A

Old 7/16/22, 11:26 AM

GT-500 Red Appearance Package 7R3Z-6342528-BB

Old 7/16/22, 11:34 AM

GT-500 Faux Gas Cap. 7R3Z-6342528-A

Old 7/16/22, 11:54 AM

Oem Faux Gas Cap Adhesive Placement!

Of Note to those who will be Replacing with a Used Cap. Ford Sealed these caps Completely. Its a weird Deal what is behind the Cap with a bunch of Ribs. It's gonna be a Bear to Duplicate this in One Piece Ford Style. It is a 6 Inch Cap and only a few Suppliers offer the 3M Sheets in large over 6 inch which I recommend to Use. I have some Coming & will update when I will go into detail How I will try & Duplicate the Sticker. Up Front I will say trying to use Liquid Adhesive alone on one of these would likely be a Mess!. Gotta Get All the Holes to line up and if you look carefully you can see the Adhesive does not go all the way to the outer edge. That is if you want to duplicate Factory Mounting. I'm sure some will & have used the Small 1 or 2 Inch Tape & Put it on like building a fence. It's gonna get full of water like that BTMO. This Pic of Back of Emblem shows you where Residual Adhesive was to properly seal Cap.

Last edited by 05stangkc; 7/18/22 at 01:06 PM.
Old 7/16/22, 12:05 PM

Super Snake Overlay & Cobra Jet Snake Only Emblem

Okay, Just Found these two and I remember the Cobra Jet Emblem as a Ford Racing Part. Now the Super Snake Overlay might be a great way to cover some Peeling Chrome on a Faux Cap. I would bet a Little Steel wool would remove the Lettering. Just throwing out Options Friends! Super Snake would need to be Sourced from a Shelby Parts Dealer Now if I can scare up a Part Number on the Cobra Emblem those can sometimes be Found at Ford Dealers on their Locator as well as FORD RACING DEALERS. They may not even Realize that about the Locator. Like I Said I just Found These while searching for a GT-500 Pic. FYI! Sorry for the bad Pic on the Cobra. If memory Serves it's Identical to Standard GT-500 Less the Text.

UPDATE!
Found The Cobra Cap. Maybe Obsolete as Well M2301-S Ford Racing Part Number Should be on Ford Locator if Any Are Out there! Could Also do the Saved Search on Ebay!

Another Shelby American Part. Can't Find a Part Number. I think they Discontinued a lot of SN-197 Stuff.! But at Least you Know they could still be out there to search for!

Last edited by 05stangkc; 7/16/22 at 01:32 PM.
Old 7/16/22, 12:11 PM

GT-500-KR Faux Gas Cap.

For Reference Purposes I'm Sure these have to come from Shelby American Dealers.
SAI-6342528-KR Shelby Part Number. Invalid for Ford Dealers.

Last edited by 05stangkc; 7/16/22 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 7/16/22, 03:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 116 Likes on 86 Posts
Welcome back. It's good to see you back on the boards.
Old 7/16/22, 04:08 PM

Hey There!
Nice to hear from a Tms Old Timer, Those were the Days my Friend! I'm sure glad they did not change the format here I would be lost! The posting is getting my wheels spinning lets see how it goes! I see you have moved up a notch to a 2015! Still have my 07 Gt-500! Still got a bit of New Car Smell and only 30+k on her, seems to get Faster the older I get! Or maybe cause the Tires are So Dry cause they are BFG KDW's from 2005! Doh!

Best Regards!

K
Ed Iverson (2/15/23)
Old 7/16/22, 04:36 PM

Faux Gas Cap Sticker

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15502153280...532807&vxp=mtr

I don't know this Seller and I don't Know the Quality of the Sticker but I wanted to show those who had not seen these that you can get a Cover up for a Damaged Badge. Certainly a Cheap Alternative. I would think you could use the Artwork Such as in Post 1 and have this guy or perhaps another Vender Simply Replicate the Running Pony. Anyway another Fix of Sorts! Of Course it would only work on the Smooth Caps, Running PONY,GT and Gt/CS!

UPDATE, It had been a Few Months since I had searched the Badge Stickers and now as shown Below there are some Oe Type Sticker Replacements out there as shown below and Other Vendors as Well.

K

UPDATE 09/20/2022 Tried Product Not Happy with this Seller. Sticker was Too Small. The Pony {Tail} From Original Badge would Not Be Covered. Be Ok on GT only. I doubt It would Last More Than a Year before Fading. BTMO. Also Sent in Envelope and Came in Wrinkled. Did Not Answer Emails! Ordered Two Different Styles Both Shipped the Same Even After Complaining! THEY BLEW THEIR FREE ADVERTISING TO HELL!

Last edited by 05stangkc; 9/20/22 at 04:36 PM.
Old 7/16/22, 05:22 PM

I figured out where the Shelby Covers Came From. Looks Like a Scott Drake Item. Stangaholics has at least one And there is one on Ebay that Has the Part Numbers Transposed.

Amazon Lists and Says NOT AVAILABLE. I could not Find on Drake Site I think these are obsolete as well. If they Float your boat Here you go. Stangaholics may have more than one!

Correct Part Number 5R3Z-6342528-AL Scott Drake Likes to Make up his own Part Numbers which look Like Oe Ford Numbers!

https://www.stang-aholics.com/i-2419...=5r3z6342528al

Scott Drake 5R3Z-6342528-A Outer Ring Only

Check Box Part Number vs What they Listed it as! Box Says Made in 2008 that is Old Stock!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/284576524018

Last edited by 05stangkc; 7/16/22 at 09:46 PM.
Old 7/17/22, 06:10 AM
RCW
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ditto on "Welcome Back" KC.
I still own and drive my 05 GT. She was my daily driver until the start of 2013. She and I are semi retired now with 114+K miles on her.
Years ago I bought a new GT Faux Cap from "New Take Off Parts" thinking it might be needed some day and it might be an issue trying to find a NOS. After reading your post, I am very glad I did buy that new cap. The original cap on her is still in excellent condition as is the rest of the car. Reassuring to now know it was a good decision to buy the cap in case I ever need to replace the original.
Thanks again for all you have done to help me with parts years ago.
Take Care, and Stay Safe.
RC
Old 7/17/22, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by RCW
Ditto on "Welcome Back" KC.
I still own and drive my 05 GT. She was my daily driver until the start of 2013. She and I are semi retired now with 114+K miles on her.
Years ago I bought a new GT Faux Cap from "New Take Off Parts" thinking it might be needed some day and it might be an issue trying to find a NOS. After reading your post, I am very glad I did buy that new cap. The original cap on her is still in excellent condition as is the rest of the car. Reassuring to now know it was a good decision to buy the cap in case I ever need to replace the original.
Thanks again for all you have done to help me with parts years ago.
Take Care, and Stay Safe.
RC
Well first off Thank You for the welcome Back! I really appreciate it!

Yes the Faux's are a better Investment than the stock market currently! It's just gonna get more valuable. I can't imagine anybody repopping them soon. Hard to believe our SN-197-S are going to be Classic's So Soon!

Best Regards,

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 7/17/22 at 12:30 PM.
Ed Iverson (2/15/23)
Old 7/17/22, 09:57 PM

Well Looks Like Somebody Got the Idea! The 2010 is Wrong on the Packaging though! These Started Selling Just Under a Month Ago! Knew it was not Long as I looked Before! Not the End all but Certainly Would Look Better Than a Lot of Burnt up Badges! They Show GT/CS and GT as Well! Just an FYI

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18545220232...75.c101224.m-1

Last edited by 05stangkc; 7/17/22 at 10:06 PM.
Old 7/19/22, 10:33 AM

And here is what can Happen on Ebay as Well. A week after Purchasing what looked like a Really Nice GT Faux Emblem and at a Great Price! I just get this Email!

Dear Customer,
We looked for the part in our inventory for last two hours but Unfortunately, we couldn't find this part in the assigned locations. We really wanted to find this part and send it to you. Unfortunately, we noticed that this part was sold locally before but our eBay store failed to update it. we truly apologize for this inconvenience. At this point we will cancel the order so you can get your refund right away. Again, we are truly sorry for this situation.
Best RegardsQuality Used Auto Parts

AutoPartsVille

ALSO SEE 07/19/22 UPDATE POST ONE!

Last edited by 05stangkc; 7/19/22 at 11:31 AM.
Old 7/20/22, 06:28 PM

Well It Looks as Pickings are Slim on Getting an OE Badge these Days. I'm Still working with the Two Used Ones I got. I'm going to break away from that to give you a Great Option.

Back in the Day I was a Silver Horse Racing Dealer and sold Items here on TMS. Marcello Canitano the Owner, is a Great Guy who makes Top Notch Parts. He was one of the First to offer Items for the Then New SN-197 Mustang. I seemed to remember he had Faux Replacements and checked his website but missed them on first glance. I sent him an email to confirm on the Faux Caps and in the meantime I stumbled on an old TMS Post on The Original TMS Website Creator Brad Barnett. He had a Custom One Off Silverhorse Faux Cap. Today Marcello got back to me as he had been away on Vacation and Indeed he Still sells the Caps and They are Simply Top Notch. Oh and The Pop open Access to the Lock cylinder! Way Cool!

ORIGINAL BRAD BARNETT TOPIC
https://themustangsource.com/forums/...allion-447026/

I'm going to post a Pic of the One Off Cap here First and then move on to the Currently Available Ones. There are Some Engraving Options Listed on His Site so Check it Out! Be Advised Anything Copyrighted in Regards to Ford Logo's Maybe Prohibited.

I added a Link on Post one to YOUTUBE for Emblem Removal and Also Silverhorse's Instructions on PDF Below this Post.

I'm not selling any product anymore to to be clear so you will need to source these from Silverhorse or a Silverhorse Dealer. They make other cool parts as well for other years as well.

I simply post this Product as an Alternative to an Obsolete Ford Part for our SN-197's

KC

https://silverhorseracing.com/produc...-mustang-html/

ONE OFF SILVERHORSE FAUX CAP USING 2003 MUSTANG FENDER EMBLEM LEFT I
WOULD BELIEVE. I actually Sent the Emblem to Brad Back in the Day 15 years ago.

FYI, The Honeycomb is a Silverhorse Product as well!
Attached Files

Last edited by 05stangkc; 7/20/22 at 07:06 PM.
Ed Iverson (2/15/23)
Old 7/20/22, 06:35 PM

PIC 1
Old 7/20/22, 06:36 PM

PIC2

Last edited by 05stangkc; 7/20/22 at 06:57 PM.

Quick Reply: The Great Faux Gas Cap Topic 05-09 Mustang Rear Emblem