Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

X Plan Question

Search this Thread

Old 5/14/14, 04:11 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
X Plan Question

So my father and I each separately joined a one year membership to Mustang Club America ( MCA) and while reading over the benefits it talked about getting an X plan pricing for purchases.

Now based on my reading its my understanding that not every Ford dealership in the country partakes in the X plan pricing. Is it safe to assume a large majority of Ford dealerships do participate in the x plan pricing?

Also, its my understanding that if a dealership does except x plan pricing they are obligated to show the customer the dealers invoice and somewhere either next to it, under it, or very close to it, there is the x plan price.

My question is this. Is the X plan price less than the dealers invoice price? Is the x plan price higher than the X plan price or the same? I thought I have read on the forums people can negotiate lower pricing than taking advantage of the X plan price or is this not the case.

What is the advantage of the X plan over negotiating ones own deal?.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 5/14/14 at 04:14 PM.
Old 5/14/14, 05:20 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think X-plan is like 300 above invoice. It does have exclusions, though. It can be used on most vehicles. I think it can't be used on Shelby.
Old 5/14/14, 05:55 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
X plan pricing varies based on the specific car. It's generally a bit over invoice. I think it was a few hundred over for me. I don't have my paperwork handy, but I did see invoice price on the car. Whether or not that was because of X plan...I don't know.

ETA - also, you can always try and negotiate lower prices, but no dealer in my area would bother. Obviously if using X plan pricing then that is the price you get, no lower.

Last edited by Joeywhat; 5/14/14 at 05:57 PM.
Old 5/14/14, 06:16 PM
Bullitt Member

X-plan is dealer invoice less 0.4% + admin fee

Less retail rebates if applicable ( it states for all models but when I went to purchase a Boss, Ford said it was not part of the X-plan. The Shelby is not part of that program nor is it part of the A,Z,or D program).

Right now ( for my zip code ) a GT premium is $30,299. That is with the $3000 incentive.

It states
optional equipment
$825 destination fee
Doc fees
Tax
Title
License fee
Are extra

You can get bonus cash if use ford credit

Hope this helps.

Last edited by pminri; 5/14/14 at 06:17 PM.
Old 5/14/14, 06:19 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
X plan pricing varies based on the specific car. It's generally a bit over invoice. I think it was a few hundred over for me. I don't have my paperwork handy, but I did see invoice price on the car. Whether or not that was because of X plan...I don't know.

ETA - also, you can always try and negotiate lower prices, but no dealer in my area would bother. Obviously if using X plan pricing then that is the price you get, no lower.
Very interesting
Old 5/14/14, 06:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by pminri

Less retail rebates if applicable ( it states for all models but when I went to purchase a Boss, Ford said it was not part of the X-plan. The Shelby is not part of that program nor is it part of the A,Z,or D program).

Right now ( for my zip code ) a GT premium is $30,299. That is with the $3000 incentive.

It states
optional equipment
$825 destination fee
Doc fees
Tax
Title
License fee
Are extra

Hope this helps.
Forgot to mention, it is preferred that the car be ordered instead of taking from dealer inventory.
Old 5/14/14, 07:42 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Forgot to mention, it is preferred that the car be ordered instead of taking from dealer inventory.
Really, now that's really interesting. So, they prefer one to order
Old 5/14/14, 07:43 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

It states
optional equipment
$825 destination fee
Doc fees
Tax
Title
License fee
Are extra

Hope this helps.
So typically are consumers getting better deals with the x plan or not using the x plan?
Old 5/14/14, 08:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue

So typically are consumers getting better deals with the x plan or not using the x plan?
Price can typically be negotiated on a car that is on the lot. It is harder to negotiate on a car that is being custom ordered ( that does not mean that it can't be done but it is much harder. The longer a car sits on a lot the more they will negotiate. That's why it is harder on a custom ordered car.

Also the later in the model year the better pricing and you will notice greater incentives.

When I ordered my 2014 GT last September the incentives were only $1000 now they are $3000. I'm betting they will be $4000 by the time the 2015's are able to be ordered.

The best thing I would suggest is to do your home work. If your looking for the best deal try to find something on a lot. I wanted mine ordered exactly the way I wanted mine so a few hundred dollars on a $35000 car didn't make much difference to me. I also suggest that if you are going to use the X-plan is to get your "pin" number and log onto the X-plan website ( you cannot access it without a "pin" configure the car the way you want and print it out. It will have the reduced pricing from the X-plan site. At that point you can check dealer inventory and you will have a starting point to haggle with on a similar or exact car on the lot. The most important thing when negotiating is the willing to walk out (if your not using the X-plan). If they know you really want the car they won't negotiate. If you have a trade, don't tell them. Lie if you have to by saying you don't have a trade. Then after tell them you changed your mind and have a trade.

Sorry for the long winded answer. Just trying to educate / inform.
Old 5/14/14, 08:43 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Price can typically be negotiated on a car that is on the lot. It is harder to negotiate on a car that is being custom ordered ( that does not mean that it can't be done but it is much harder. The longer a car sits on a lot the more they will negotiate. That's why it is harder on a custom ordered car.

Also the later in the model year the better pricing and you will notice greater incentives.

When I ordered my 2014 GT last September the incentives were only $1000 now they are $3000. I'm betting they will be $4000 by the time the 2015's are able to be ordered.

The best thing I would suggest is to do your home work. If your looking for the best deal try to find something on a lot. I wanted mine ordered exactly the way I wanted mine so a few hundred dollars on a $35000 car didn't make much difference to me. I also suggest that if you are going to use the X-plan is to get your "pin" number and log onto the X-plan website ( you cannot access it without a "pin" configure the car the way you want and print it out. It will have the reduced pricing from the X-plan site. At that point you can check dealer inventory and you will have a starting point to haggle with on a similar or exact car on the lot. The most important thing when negotiating is the willing to walk out (if your not using the X-plan). If they know you really want the car they won't negotiate. If you have a trade, don't tell them. Lie if you have to by saying you don't have a trade. Then after tell them you changed your mind and have a trade.

Sorry for the long winded answer. Just trying to educate / inform.
Great tips. Thanks bro.
Old 5/14/14, 08:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue

Great tips. Thanks bro.
Anytime.

PS. A car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
Old 5/14/14, 08:55 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Anytime.

PS. A car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
Ain't that the truth! Lol