Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

Wishlist

Old 1/21/13, 10:16 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wishlist

So, what would you like to see from Ford's lineup in the near future?

But please be realistic ... Please no "I wanna 5.0 in the Fiesta" ...

Here's what I think Ford should do.

- A proper minivan. Transit Connect might be very similar to 1980s minivans, but if Ford wants to compete against Toyota Sienna, Honda Odyssey and Chrysler Town & County, they need a new (larger) Taurus/Explorer based minivan, with FWD and AWD, EcoBoost I4 and V6 and 6 speed auto.

- A Fiesta coupe would be nice. Fiesta has been selling poorly lately; a coupe (alone with the new ST) might increase sales.

- European Ford Ka or similar supermini. Fiat sold almost 50,000 500s this year, so there is a market for them.

- A truck smaller than the F-150 (F-100 or Ranger).

- Another halo car. Shelby GT500 is nice, but its still a Mustang - it can't compete against the Corvette and Viper.

- Fusion SVT with a 3.5L EcoBoost. It would be more similar to the original Taurus SHO than the current Taurus SHO is.

- Taurus needs to be redesigned with more interior space. Its a joke that a car as big as Taurus has so little interior space.

- This one will most likely happen soon - 3.2L I5 diesel from Transit in the F-150.

Last edited by Zastava_101; 1/21/13 at 10:18 AM.
Old 1/21/13, 10:42 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would love an SVT Fusion. I would also love to see the Fusion/Mondeo wagon make it stateside.

Ideally, I'd like both of those things at the same time
Old 1/21/13, 10:49 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll bite.

- SVT/Sport Fusion - Use the 2.3 rumored for the Mustang or the 2.7 Nano (320hp/375tq from sources on the 'net), AWD, and sport tuned 6-speed auto with paddle shifting. The 3.5TT is too big to fit in the lineup with the SHO and adds too much weight.

- F-100 or import global Ranger. Unique powertrain options that aren't shared at all with the F-150, and keep it at a more "utilitarian" setup with fewer luxury options.

- Ford GT successor - With the rumors that the Trinity 5.8 might be done after the 2014MY GT500, keep the block present, albeit with a dry sump system, and a modest bump in power, and put it in a GT. Integrate the MR suspension that's sweeping the industry, add in the active swaybar system that McLaren uses, and you'd have a world class car. Just need the folks at the top of the Glass House to approve it.

- Compact SUV - The EcoSport might work in the US. This seems like it might be the next big segment to jump into. The 1.0 3-cylinder and a turbo 1.6 might be viable engine options as well.

Engines-
-Smaller (sub 5.0) twin turbo V8. Take a page right out of BMW's book and make a motor similar to the one used in the M5/M6. Use it in the Raptor or uplevel F-150 and possibly the Super Duty.

-Update the 6.2 with DOHC and VVT. There's a lot of potential on tap that could be opened up with some modern engine tech.
Old 1/21/13, 10:54 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

+1 on EcoSport.

Old 1/21/13, 11:06 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
I only have 3 . . . I think . . .

Focus ST Wagon- (This would be in my garage if it were available in the States)

Fusion SVT/Sport Wagon (as Mentioned by Steve and Arin) -

Small/Mid-Size Bronco - (Bigger and more capable than previous concept)

Last edited by Evil_Capri; 1/21/13 at 11:07 AM.
Old 1/21/13, 12:00 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Overboost

- Ford GT successor - With the rumors that the Trinity 5.8 might be done after the 2014MY GT500, keep the block present, albeit with a dry sump system, and a modest bump in power, and put it in a GT. Integrate the MR suspension that's sweeping the industry, add in the active swaybar system that McLaren uses, and you'd have a world class car. Just need the folks at the top of the Glass House to approve it.

Good Lord YES! If we're looking to take on Corvette and Viper, I'd love to see a production version of the GR1. Take the original styling and mix it in with Kyle Evans' Mustang proposal and bump up the Trinity to 700bhp

Name:  2015MustangKETN3.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  43.4 KB

Also (taking a Brit's view):

Fiesta or Focus based coupe......call it Puma.

Fusion/Mondeo ST with AWD (actually, just get the new model on sale over here......we still have no confirmed date!)

Explorer in RHD with both Ecoboost and diesel engines.
Old 1/21/13, 01:08 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
-Ford GT Successor or Vette/Viper killer
-F-100 or Ranger
-Raptor or Lightning

Then I'm happy
Old 1/21/13, 11:07 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Also (taking a Brit's view):

Fiesta or Focus based coupe......call it Puma.

Fusion/Mondeo ST with AWD (actually, just get the new model on sale over here......we still have no confirmed date!)

Explorer in RHD with both Ecoboost and diesel engines.
Speaking of Europe ...

I think that Ford needs to buy/build additional cheaper brand in Europe, since they're very popular now. Something like Renault-Dacia or Volkswagen-Škoda-future Wartburg.
Too bad Ford waited for so long ... few years ago they could've purchased Serbian Zastava and have workers work for like 5 euros per hour (which is pretty good for Serbian standards). Fiat made a great financial decision when they purchased Zastava few years ago, since it costs them next to nothing to build the new 500L.
Old 1/22/13, 10:23 PM
FR500 Member

Different kind of Ford wish list:
- get more aggressive with the weight reduction
- since the touch screen silliness is more or less here to stay, kill the bugs dead
- have the new engines/transmissions sorted out properly before offering to the public (DCT in Focus/Fiesta being a prime example of what not to do)
- RWD halo cars for both Ford and Lincoln
- go away from the massive grille trend that all volume automakers seem to be embracing. just stop it.
Old 1/23/13, 01:50 AM
Team Mustang Source

RWD V-8 4dr sport sedan! I know it's not likely but, that is what I want. I might be persuaded with a Fusion SVT or sport AWD but, not with a dinky lil engine.
Old 1/23/13, 02:57 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Wishlist Car Lineup:

City Car- Replace the low-aiming Ka with a more stylish "premium" offering based on the Start concept. Really small engines, really big style. Call it Ka in EU if you must but under no circumstances call it that here.

Subcompact - I like the Fiesta and the refresh is cool but it needs to improve efficiency. Fuel efficiency and space efficiency. The current car still wears baggage from being rushed to this market after being not designed initially for the US, hope the major update will overcome all that.

Compact - Focus rocks, the Electric needs to improve on range and cost a little but otherwise all I really want is to keep the good work up. Nail the refresh, please. Oh, and bring the Focus RS you're working on here.

Midsize - Fusion is killing it. Now, I want a Fusion SHO. Don't call it and ST, that's for hatch-backs. Don't call it a SPORT, because no really cool car is called a "Sport." SHO, just like the Taurus and spiritually closer to the original.

Full Size - I actually like the current Taurus a lot, but let's face it decisions made a decade ago are dragging the car down a lot today. Get it off D3, reduce weight as much as humanly possible, keep the style slick and unique.

Ponycar - Mustang will be great, I have faith. Try to over-deliver.

Niche Sports Sedan - Concurrent with the Fusion and Taurus, use the Mustang's platform as basis for a Muscular RWD sedan like the Interceptor Concept. Call it Falcon for Oz, anything but Fairlane here.

Crazy Dream Segment - Take the RWD Sports sedan. Give it a retracting hard top and only 2 doors. Call it the Thunderbird.

Crossover/SUV Lineup:

Mini - Ecosport. Not this one, though. Fiesta shows that rushing a car to the NA market that wasn't designed for it is asking for trouble. Design the refresh with NA in mind, bring it here then.

Compact - Escape is great, get the bugs out. Also, do a Sport. I know I said the Sport label is uncool, but crossovers are inherently uncool and the Explorer Sport is pretty great.

Mid-Size - I'm still an Edge fan but the Escape and Explorer have raised the bar. Give me an Edge that hold up with those two on style.

Full-Size CUV - Love the Explorer, and really enjoyed seeing all the DC Police Utility interceptors leading the Inaugural Parade. Keep up the good work.

Full-Size SUV - Get the Expedition back to being as close to a roofed-over F-150 as possible to save costs, put a Diesel option on its order sheet.

Truck Lineup:

F-series - I'd like to stretch the lineup down to an F-100. But not as a real Ranger-Replacement midsize. Just a bit smaller, bit lighter F-150 variant. Something that could roll off the same line, share many of the same parts, make it look less like the automotive equivalent of a giant Texas belt buckle, and so on. New Raptor with the new F-150. Clean up the SuperDuty's look a wee bit.

Bronco - Take the F-100, cut it down as short as possible. Put a crew cab on it. Give it some fun styling.

Halo Car:

I think there are 2 Halo car options if dancing with the Viper and 'Vette is the goal,

1 - A production car inspired by the GR-1 Concept/Shelby Daytona Coupe and wearing some combination of SHELBY and COBRA badges.

2 - A technology showcase vehicle. Like the GT-R or Porsche 918 Spyder, a vehicle that acknowledges the history of the brand but succeeds with its tech.

I'm split on which way to go, option one is the obvious path but option 2 would be more distinct from the Viper (which has always taken a lot from the Daytona Coupe) and it would be great for America to out-tech Godzilla.

Last edited by Moosetang; 1/23/13 at 03:01 AM.
Old 1/23/13, 11:09 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by Moosetang
Wishlist Car Lineup:

City Car- Replace the low-aiming Ka with a more stylish "premium" offering based on the Start concept. Really small engines, really big style. Call it Ka in EU if you must but under no circumstances call it that here.

Subcompact - I like the Fiesta and the refresh is cool but it needs to improve efficiency. Fuel efficiency and space efficiency. The current car still wears baggage from being rushed to this market after being not designed initially for the US, hope the major update will overcome all that.

Compact - Focus rocks, the Electric needs to improve on range and cost a little but otherwise all I really want is to keep the good work up. Nail the refresh, please. Oh, and bring the Focus RS you're working on here.

Midsize - Fusion is killing it. Now, I want a Fusion SHO. Don't call it and ST, that's for hatch-backs. Don't call it a SPORT, because no really cool car is called a "Sport." SHO, just like the Taurus and spiritually closer to the original.

Full Size - I actually like the current Taurus a lot, but let's face it decisions made a decade ago are dragging the car down a lot today. Get it off D3, reduce weight as much as humanly possible, keep the style slick and unique.

Ponycar - Mustang will be great, I have faith. Try to over-deliver.

Niche Sports Sedan - Concurrent with the Fusion and Taurus, use the Mustang's platform as basis for a Muscular RWD sedan like the Interceptor Concept. Call it Falcon for Oz, anything but Fairlane here.

Crazy Dream Segment - Take the RWD Sports sedan. Give it a retracting hard top and only 2 doors. Call it the Thunderbird.

Crossover/SUV Lineup:

Mini - Ecosport. Not this one, though. Fiesta shows that rushing a car to the NA market that wasn't designed for it is asking for trouble. Design the refresh with NA in mind, bring it here then.

Compact - Escape is great, get the bugs out. Also, do a Sport. I know I said the Sport label is uncool, but crossovers are inherently uncool and the Explorer Sport is pretty great.

Mid-Size - I'm still an Edge fan but the Escape and Explorer have raised the bar. Give me an Edge that hold up with those two on style.

Full-Size CUV - Love the Explorer, and really enjoyed seeing all the DC Police Utility interceptors leading the Inaugural Parade. Keep up the good work.

Full-Size SUV - Get the Expedition back to being as close to a roofed-over F-150 as possible to save costs, put a Diesel option on its order sheet.

Truck Lineup:

F-series - I'd like to stretch the lineup down to an F-100. But not as a real Ranger-Replacement midsize. Just a bit smaller, bit lighter F-150 variant. Something that could roll off the same line, share many of the same parts, make it look less like the automotive equivalent of a giant Texas belt buckle, and so on. New Raptor with the new F-150. Clean up the SuperDuty's look a wee bit.

Bronco - Take the F-100, cut it down as short as possible. Put a crew cab on it. Give it some fun styling.

Halo Car:

I think there are 2 Halo car options if dancing with the Viper and 'Vette is the goal,

1 - A production car inspired by the GR-1 Concept/Shelby Daytona Coupe and wearing some combination of SHELBY and COBRA badges.

2 - A technology showcase vehicle. Like the GT-R or Porsche 918 Spyder, a vehicle that acknowledges the history of the brand but succeeds with its tech.

I'm split on which way to go, option one is the obvious path but option 2 would be more distinct from the Viper (which has always taken a lot from the Daytona Coupe) and it would be great for America to out-tech Godzilla.
I like the point you brought up. Would be nice to out-tech the GT-R
Old 1/23/13, 11:16 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

With 3.2L I5 diesel being availabe in the Transit next year, Ford should have that engine available in pretty much every larger vehicle. F-150, Expedition, Explorer, Flex, maybe even Edge ...
Old 1/23/13, 03:18 PM

I forgot People-Movers:

C-Max is great, I'd like to clean up the front a little bit and keep pushing the envelope with range.

The new Transit Connect Wagon is fun and smart but also needs styling cleaned up a tad.

I love the Flex but I'm resigned to the fact that its current incarnation's days are numbered. I hope that the name survives on a new stylish people-mover, maybe sharing a lot of underpinnings with the Galaxy in EU or (ugh) a conventional minivan here.

I'd bring an all-electric B-Max over here in a few years, with a Focus Electric-style clip.
Old 1/23/13, 03:54 PM

Since I'm in the mood, Lincoln Wishlist:

MKC - Looks great, I'm hoping they found a way to cram a Nano V6 under the hood for production. Keep it as close to the concept inside and out as possible, offer lots of customization.

MKZ - Is a solid car that I think has potential to be really really good with some minor changes. An EcoBoost Nano V6 offering 350+ hp would be a screamer in this car. Increase the materials quality on the interior further than they have. Tinker with the nose just a little bit so it has just a little more attitude like on the MKC.

MKS - Still very fond of this car although, like the Taurus, it's suffering from platform limitations. When it's redone, the MKS should be stretched to longer wheelbase than the Taurus to further differentiate it from the Ford and give the backseat some more of that premium feel roominess. Aim for the A8 and don't miss.

MKT - this is in many ways an MKS wagon already, I'd go further in that direction. As an MKS with a bigger roof it wouldn't cost much to develop and could better compliment the sedan.

MKX - Done well for this generation, it really needs to step up now that the brand is moving forward. Embrace style and quality.

Navigator - Kill it. Controversial!

MKA - Lincoln's Explorer equivalent, with Lincoln style and substance.

MKH - Lincoln's C-MAX equivalent.

MKL - Lincoln's version of Ford's niche sports sedan. While the Ford will concentrate on affordable "everyman" performance, the MKR will bring the style and sophisticated dynamics of a luxury marque. And smack Caddy around while doing it.

MKR - Lincoln's retractable hard top derivative of the Mustang.

MKV - Lincoln's adaptation of Ford's halo Supercar, but dialed up to something that doesn't compare itself to the Corvettes or Vipers of the world. Think LFA.
Old 1/24/13, 07:19 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I want them all....

.... to be cheaper
Old 1/24/13, 08:07 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by Boomer
I want them all....

.... to be cheaper
Funny ...

Old 1/29/13, 01:13 PM
Bullitt Member

1.) Fusion ST (AWD with DSG optional).
2.) More attractive 5 spoke wheel option for SHO and Fusion ST.
3.) HIDs should be available a la carte, I don't need a touchscreen nav sys to get HIDs and pay thousands more.
4.) Hybrid models for the Flex, Edge/MKX, Escape/MKC.
5.) LMC need some sportier models for their sedans, and with more advanced awd tech than the current Haldex system.
6.) LMC RWD flagship sedan
7.) KILL the MKT and Navigator needs a MAJOR, more attractive revamp (remember the MK2 Navi's, those were classy and great looking).
8.) Ford GT successor.

Last edited by SyNRG; 1/29/13 at 01:15 PM.
Old 1/30/13, 08:01 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Hopefully with the good year Ford had, they can have a little more fun and do another supercar/two-seater. Current management is smart enough that it wouldn't let a relatively small project cost too much, that would get everybody talking in such a HUGE way.
Old 1/30/13, 10:19 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by codeman94
Hopefully with the good year Ford had, they can have a little more fun and do another supercar/two-seater. Current management is smart enough that it wouldn't let a relatively small project cost too much, that would get everybody talking in such a HUGE way.
This this this! Then we can all drool at Gary's when he buys one

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wishlist