Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

Thermostat housing hose issues

Search this Thread

Old 6/27/20, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thermostat housing hose issues

I am new to the mustang family. We bought our daughter ax2005 mustang base model. I am having issues with the hose coming off the thermostat hiusing. I have put it back on many times. I have changed out the hose and changed clamp types to the screw tightening type clamp. The housing diesnt appear to be driven and doesn't seem to be leaking. Anyone here know why the hose could be coming off so much? I am a people mechanic (paramedic) and am mechanically challenged. Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 6/29/20, 11:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Howdy! Welcome to the forums!

First, I want to be sure that I have the scenario right. By '2005 mustang base model', you mean the V6 version and not the GT/V8 version, yes?

If so, then this is your problem area, correct?
http://iihs.net/fsm/?d=182&f=Thermos...ded%20View.pdf

Now, if that's all right... then is it the upper or the lower one? Or is it the heater hose? That could be semi-important. But in all those cases, there is a lip/flare on each outlet on the thermostat housing that's supposed to be there, and that lip is what you need the clamp to be 'below', towards the housing, so as to clamp the hose on and keep it there. If you're putting the clamp *on* the lip/flare, then it's destined to slip right on off. And of course, if you clamp it behind (away from the housing), it's gonna never work. But then, it may be the housing. If the hose's in question outlet is missing the lip/flare because it's broken off or something, then you'll need to replace the housing. Have a look at these images of the housing, and you'll see all three outlets have the lip/flare I'm talking about, and you can also see proper clamp placements in some of them.
https://www.google.com/search?q=2005...=lnms&tbm=isch

And to that end, I'd suggest this, although you can certainly opt for the same ol' plastic one:
https://simmonsautosportz.com/produc...mostat-housing
That aluminum one should probably never ever break, compared to the plastic for sure.

In regards to the worm gear screw type hose clamps... I'd go back to the OEM band ones. Yes, they're a *pain* to deal with, to the point that I bought hose pliers to deal with them. But they are constant pressure clamps, and are much better than any screw clamps, which can loosen over time, and I had to learn (others hereabouts informed me about 'em) and think about that hard before I abandoned switching to the screw clamps during my last project. I get it now, and I'll not be discarding the OEM band clamps anytime soon. For what that's worth.

I was going to say maybe you need to replace the hose, but you've done that, so it's not going to be the issue... one'd hope. It's possible it's the wrong size, of course, but...

Final thought... is it possible in your case there's something forcing the hose off? Like maybe the engine is moving because worn motor mounts and that's popping the hose right off the housing? The test for that is to have someone in the care, you *beside* the car, turn the engine on, foot hard on the brake or the parking brake on, and then try to move the car gently and see if the engine tries to lift itself outta the cradle. If it moves quite a bit, like an inch or two, definitely your motor mounts are shot and need replacing. Even saying that, though, I'd find it difficult to believe the center mounted thermostat hoses would pop off with that... but again...

I hope that helps ya out. Do let us know!

Last edited by houtex; 6/29/20 at 11:32 PM.