Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ranger and Bronco will return

http://www.leftlanenews.com/forduaw-...nco-90204.html
Old 11/22/15, 06:31 AM
bt4
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is that a good thing? It certainly looks that way, for Ranger fans after the UAW and Ford finally inked a deal. (It was a 50/50 chance that the rank and file would approve the deal that Ford and the UAW leadership hammered out.)

But at what cost? Ford is talking a $9 billion dollar layout in the US--but reading between the lines; introducing new truck products (Bronco, Ranger) to US plants, might mean moving more car assembly to Mexico.

I'm not sure if I like that trade off. The foreign manufacturers have found the formula for building cars in America--build plants and facilities that are modern, rely heavily on robotics, and build them in non-union states. Honda, Toyota, Mercedes, BMW, Hyundai, all have facilities in Alabama and Mississippi. So far, VW's Chattanooga facility has resisted attempts by the UAW to unionize. Nissan also has a large facility in Tennessee.

The UAW leadership wanted the Ford investment in Unionized facilities, and the rank and file wanted a bigger slice of Ford's profit--regardless whether Ford made an investment in US facilities or not (somewhat short-sided, if you ask me). What the UAW leadership suspected (correctly) was that if the contract wasn't ratified, that the proposed $9 Billion would be spent for facilities North and South of the border--not in the US.

If the investment in plant and facility results in new, flex capacity lines, giving plants the capability of 2-box lines, and more automation, maybe car production will stay domestic. However, I still suspect, that bringing back the Ranger and Bronco to US facilities will probably push automobile production south. I am not too sure I like that idea.
Old 2/18/16, 05:34 PM
V6 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I always thought that one of the most idiotic things Ford ever did was get rid of the Ranger. Thinking that everybody would move up to the F150 was just stupid. Kinda like the first generation Sync.
Old 2/21/16, 11:31 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
and....why did they get rid of the Crown Victoria and Grand Marquis. Best Cop, Taxi and Old Peoples cars ever made. I had 7 Aunt and Uncles who all had Grand Marquis at the same time.
Old 2/21/16, 01:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Not enough people buying them big Panther platforms anymore across the board. Cops are in smaller, cheaper cars or SUVs or even trucks these days.

Taxis are minivans now.

Granpa went an' bought himself a 1st Gen Scion xB and loved the little thing.

And on and on...

If they had made a two door Marauder when they were makin' those, I'd'a had one. But alas...

Last edited by houtex; 2/21/16 at 01:35 PM.
Old 3/2/16, 03:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ford Mustang Deluxe

Sweet