TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Next Ford Explorer Will Be Car-Based

http://news.windingroad.com/trends/b...-be-car-based/
Old 1/2/07, 06:48 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't like the idea of a car based Explorer. If you want a car based Explorer, buy a Freestyle. That's why they made it. Leave the truck a truck.
Old 1/2/07, 07:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 97svtgoin05gt
I don't like the idea of a car based Explorer. If you want a car based Explorer, buy a Freestyle. That's why they made it. Leave the truck a truck.
Plus one.
Old 1/2/07, 09:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 97svtgoin05gt
I used to feel the same way, but then came to the realization that I was fighting a battle which had been lost long ago. The Explorer resembles a truck only in construction at this point, which makes the compromises truck-based construction brings to the vehicle pointless.

I'd prefer Ford introduce a modern day take on the original Bronco, and build the same in two and four door wagon variants to satisfy those who truly need a truck based suv, rather than try and keep a pointless does of hard-core truck in the Explorer. For those who need to tow heavier items than the Bronco could be expected to lug an F-150 based Expedition would do nicely. That said, I don't see the point of keeping any of the rest of Ford's suv lineup truck based.

Put the Explorer and Escape on a shared rwd, car-based unibody chassis in the future with the Explorer covering the mid sized, three row segment and the two row Escape competing with slightly larger cute utes like the RAV4 and new CRV. Execution similar to the first gen BMW X5, but with the inclusion of a low range transfer case since the same could be employed effectively off road if well thought out, ought to cover things nicely. Like the X5 styling should still say suv louder than it says hybrid.

Would this be a world class off-roader? Obviously not. But in stock form it could easily be made the match of the current Explorer and prove far more capable than virtually any owner needs it to be. It would also look like a truck, and frankly laregly act like one, without the drawbacks basing the vehicle on a truck chassis would bring.
Old 1/2/07, 10:25 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I will only say jsaylor nails it.
Old 1/2/07, 10:27 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

So, what's gonna happen to Mountaineer?
Old 1/3/07, 11:01 AM
Cobra R Member

i have a bad feeling that the Mountaineer, along with the rest of Mercury, is about to go the way of Oldsmobile... We haven't heard ANYTHING about future mercs recently. Too bad... I really like the idea of all the Euro fords coming over branded as Mercury - Focus, Mondeo, whatever Iosis-X crossover thing they come out with, just a small lineup like that would keep me happy. Oh and maybe hold onto the Grand Marquis for them there fancy black cabs WHEN Lincoln goes upmarket.
Old 1/7/07, 10:31 AM
V6 Member

Perhaps this is the plan for the Freestyle; Change the name to Explorer.

The Freestyle is a well engineered vehicle but was styled like an SUV (a dowdy old Explorer unfortunately) rather than a car. It has flopped in the market, but like the 500 the investment is too great to abandon so it needs to be fixed.

If the styling was cleaned up and it was re-branded as an Explorer, it would probalby appeal to much of the same suburban demographic. It could be pitched as the new Explorer with better ride & comfort, more space seats, better mileage, and so on.

Of course this also would have to include the 3.5l and 6 speed with 3500# towing capacity to provide most of the Explorer's previous utility (someone with greater towing requirements should be directed to a bigger truck anyway).