Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

My 1984 Tbird Restomod

Old 1/18/10, 08:57 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My 1984 Tbird Restomod

I thought several months ago I posted a thread on the restoration my 1984 Tbird, but it may have gotten lost with the crash a while back.

This is where the progress is at now...

1985 Cougar nose, 1979-82 Tbird hood ornament and a 1994-98 Mustang dash...
Attached Thumbnails My 1984 Tbird Restomod-cougarnose3.jpg   My 1984 Tbird Restomod-cougarnose4.jpg   My 1984 Tbird Restomod-2009-01-07-001.jpg   My 1984 Tbird Restomod-cougarnose2.jpg   My 1984 Tbird Restomod-2010-01-18-002.jpg  

Last edited by watchdevil; 1/18/10 at 09:30 PM.
Old 1/18/10, 09:02 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 1/18/10, 09:05 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

By the way, I do remember your pictures of restoration.

I've been looking for a 1983-1986 T-Bird for a restoration too. I recently found a nice 2.3L turbo model and it looked great, but it had over 190,000 miles on the odometer so I had to pass.
Old 1/18/10, 09:09 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

By the way, I would do something like this. I know this is 1987/1988 model, but they're very similar.

Old 1/18/10, 09:24 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Red Star
How about giving me a chance to upload them! LOL
Old 1/18/10, 09:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Two more shots...

The dash is not completed yet... I still have some parts I am waiting for.
Attached Thumbnails My 1984 Tbird Restomod-cougarnose6.jpg   My 1984 Tbird Restomod-cougarnose7.jpg  
Old 1/18/10, 09:44 PM
FR500 Member

Interesting ideas. Just goes to show how versatile the Fox chassis is.
Old 1/18/10, 09:54 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Good job.
Old 1/19/10, 10:28 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by hi5.0
Interesting ideas. Just goes to show how versatile the Fox chassis is.
With the redesign of the SN-95 Mustang in 04, it kept the basic dimensions of the Fox platform firewall intact. However because of the sloped windshield of the SN-95 body, the Mustang dash was too deep to fit in the Tbird causing it to come in too much towards the the rear of the passenger compartment, so I had to cut 3" off at the cowl. Basically it is cut even with the opening of the defroster vent. I had to notch in openings for the defroster to function. I found it easier to do away with the metal support of the Mustang dash and I laid the dash shell over my original 84 Tbird dash frame. The frame angles away towards the foot wells to match the same shape of the glovebox and driver's knee panel of the Mustang dash shell.

The Mustang dash shell was easy to make hidden attachments to the windshield cowl. Small "L" brackets were used and located under the forward edge of the dash using the three attachment points that are in the Tbird. With the gauge cluster vacant and the area for the passenger air bag open, there was plenty of room to make the hidden attachment to the cowl.

For the HVAC ventilation, I had to reuse the Tbird dash airbox and center vent ducts because the Mustang one will not mate up to the airbox on the firewall. I was able to use the Mustang defroster vent assembly and retain the function of the dash side window defrosters.

The entire reason I went to the Mustang dash is because the original Tbird dash shell (not the top pad) was so brittle it would snap like breaking up crackers into soup. I am not kidding. There were cracks everywhere in the original Tbird dash structure. Everytime I tightened a screw I would snap off a mounting tab for speed nuts. It's a shame I had to change from the original dash because I liked the vinyl knee pad and glove box door which were both still in very excellent shape.

I could not find a replacement 1983-84 Tbird dash shell. I did find a 1980 Tbird and 1986 LTD that I considered swapping the dash from, but it's the older style dash and they both showed signs of structural cracking though not as bad as what I originally had.

I considered using a newer 85-88 style Tbird dash, but the padding on top of every example I found was in a state of moderately to severely cracked. The Mustang dash is in perfect shape. No signs of cracking or brittle anywhere.

Now I am waiting for a few parts I ordered to complete the trim.

I am using the original Tbird gauge cluster inside of the Mustang dash cluster opening. It seems too complicated trying to convert to a Mustang cluster to work because my Tbird has a speedo cable while the Mustang uses speed sensors. Besides, I am retaining the column shifter and prefer to keep the vertical PRND21 indicator intact. My only issue with the column shifter is some interference against the dash around the steering column and gauge cluster opening. My solution will be to remove the shift lever and bend it so that it will clear. I also have to design a blind out of vinyl so the gauge cluster will have a finished look sitting behind the Mustang gauge trim panel.

I will also be using a 1989-93 Tbird steering column shroud to fill the squarish steering column opening in the Mustang dash. It fits perfectly and retains the functional design for the tilt wheel which tilts just behind the wheel in Fox body fashion. I just have to fashion holes for the turn signal and wiper switch plus an opening on the right side for the shift lever to pass through.

The only other compatability issue I have to address is the console. I cannot use a Mustang console because there is no provision for all the window, mirror and seat switches like the Tbird console has. I test fitted the Tbird console with the Mustang dash and it looks like it will work well and look nice together. I just have to fashion a small joining console structure to give it a finished look.
Old 1/22/10, 08:13 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Daylight pictures...
Attached Thumbnails My 1984 Tbird Restomod-2010-01-21-002.jpg   My 1984 Tbird Restomod-2010-01-21-006.jpg   My 1984 Tbird Restomod-2010-01-21-007.jpg  
Old 1/22/10, 10:24 PM
FR500 Member

Those SN95 dashes don't fit perfectly in Fox Mustang either. Lots of work. Give you credit for going through with it. Is there a different style Thunderbird steering wheel you can use to go with the new dash? Perhaps throw on some SN95 door panels while you're at it. (Sorry, easier said than done. ) And I was wondering if you could somehow section parts of the SN95 console (the area that attach to the dash) for the "transition" part and blend it in with the Thunderbird's console.
Old 1/23/10, 04:18 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by hi5.0
Those SN95 dashes don't fit perfectly in Fox Mustang either. Lots of work. Give you credit for going through with it. Is there a different style Thunderbird steering wheel you can use to go with the new dash? Perhaps throw on some SN95 door panels while you're at it. (Sorry, easier said than done. ) And I was wondering if you could somehow section parts of the SN95 console (the area that attach to the dash) for the "transition" part and blend it in with the Thunderbird's console.
I like the steering wheel that I have, mainly because of the NOS rectangular center trim with the Bird emblem. The worn out leather is stripped off the wheel right now so the wheel looks ultra thin. It will look better when I pad and re-wrap the rim. I will also install a squared-off 89-93 Tbird steering column shroud which fits the square column opening perfectly.

I am not doing SN95 door panels. I just snagged a set of newer 88 Tbird door panels with the better integrated armrests and power door lock button design.

I am working on the transition for the center stack to console. I have Mustang console parts on the way to see what I can do to work with it.
Old 1/26/10, 05:58 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
dude... this build rocks! I love what you're doingg with that bird
Old 1/27/10, 06:56 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by future9er24
dude... this build rocks! I love what you're doingg with that bird
Thanks Arin! Just a lot of details to work out but it has not been to bad. It is at least an enjoyable project.
Old 1/27/10, 07:14 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

A few more pics of progress...

The first picture shows the granny cluster installed in the Mustang dash opening.

The second picture shows it trimmed out in vinyl to fill the gap. I am not completely satisfied how this looks so I will be working with it while I am also considering getting a Mustang cluster. I am looking at the possibility of a cluster from a Ranger, Explorer or Taurus since they all have the PRDN21 indicator intergrated into it. Those clusters follow the general shape of the Mustang gauge bezel opening.

Third picture is experimenting with using the lower portion of the original Tbird center stack trim plate to bridge the gap between the console and dash. I will need to construct side trim pieces to flow from the bottom of the dash to the console. I am also going to try and see how the front half of a Mustang console will work since it has a joint seam that can be taken apart at the front section just behind the shifter bezel opening.

Forth and fifth pictures show the cupholder insert I snagged from a Ford Taurus. Fits the tray insert / optional componant CD player opening of the Mustang dash perfectly. I just had to modify the stops of the cupholder slide tray so that it comes out further when extended and clears the bottom of the radio opening.

I am going to find a Ford radio to match what the Mustang originally offered.

I am waiting for a dashtop clock and a special passenger airbag delete plate that I bought from eBay.
Attached Thumbnails My 1984 Tbird Restomod-dash3.jpg   My 1984 Tbird Restomod-dash9.jpg   My 1984 Tbird Restomod-dash4.jpg   My 1984 Tbird Restomod-dash7.jpg   My 1984 Tbird Restomod-dash6.jpg  

Last edited by watchdevil; 1/27/10 at 07:18 AM.
Old 1/27/10, 11:24 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm diggin the way that current cluster looks in the mustangs dash.. i can kinda see the gaps on either side though, and those dont look as good. maybe just fandangling a trim piece would be easier than trying to adapt a whole new cluster?
Old 1/27/10, 09:00 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by future9er24
I'm diggin the way that current cluster looks in the mustangs dash.. i can kinda see the gaps on either side though, and those dont look as good. maybe just fandangling a trim piece would be easier than trying to adapt a whole new cluster?
Yeah I am going to keep working with the trim when I have more time. It's going to be much more challenging trying to get a cluster to work that operates off a VSS, not to mention the additional gauges that have to be accommodated besides the speedo and fuel in the granny cluster.
Old 2/1/10, 11:18 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Update on the dash swap... I decided to use a 1980 Tbird digital instrment cluster and wiring up was a success. The speedo works, however the fuel gauge is off. I need a sending unit for the digital dash models. It actually works opposite of the analog gauges, so right now it reads empty when it is actually full. I had to add two green LED's for the turn indicators and one red one for the ENGINE light. The 1980-82 Tbirds had an upper tier in the dash for the turn signal and idiot lights. I already had the cluster so I put it to good use.

I am thinking of doing a carbon fiber decal overlay on the entire digital cluster face. That will update the 1980's triple square graphic design. I will just cut out windows in the decal material for the gauge displays, odometer and warning/indicator lights.

I got a good used Mustang console today. I have to clean it and dye it the right color. I also have to get an armrest compartment liner and either an ashtray door or newer style cupholder. I will be moving the window, seat and mirror switches into the Mustang's oval shifter bezel opening. I will look for a Tbird or Cougar with the seat mounted consolette and use the switch panel trimmed down to fit under the Mustang's oval shifter opening and bond it into place.
Attached Thumbnails My 1984 Tbird Restomod-dash-parts8.jpg  
Old 2/1/10, 11:56 PM
FR500 Member

Interesting choice. BTW, what is the max speed reading of the digital speedometer? Did those suffer from the 85 MPH "limit" as well?
Old 2/2/10, 07:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Interesting build. You've done a great job retrofitting that dash into your T bird, no walk in the park there!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 1984 Tbird Restomod