Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

More Ford Recalls...

Search this Thread

Old 8/8/06, 04:25 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1999 Black 35th GT
BC, I understand you're just the messenger but there are times when you are very gloomy. I'm not saying it's bad to be somewhat pessimistic but it seems like you are an awful lot.
Well, reality is reality and facts are facts, especially when news like the below is now surfacing almost daily (from Autoblog) >>

Ford merger -- who wants a piece of that?

David Kiley over at BusinessWeek took a look at the idea of a merger between Ford Motor Company and another automaker, and had these two questions -- what's Ford worth, and would anybody even want a piece of that?

As the company mulls selling off branches like Ford Credit or merging a la GM and Renault/Nissan, they're fair questions to ask. Market capitalization puts Ford at about $13 billion -- by comparison, Toyota is worth a whopping $170 billion. Ford's semi-recent brand acquisitions, such as Jaguar, are unlikely to fetch anything close to what they bought them for.

What's a Ford exec (or recently-hired merger and aquisition guru like Kenneth Leet) to do? Ford's dire straits mean that, even at "employee pricing," its parts are unlikely to be bought, though it is possible that a Chinese, Korean or British company would go in on a joint venture.

It's easy enough to say that Ford should trim itself down to Ford, Volvo and Lincoln brands, but when nobody's buying what you're selling...

So, dear readers, how do you think Ford will manage to sell off some pieces to generate cash and offset tanking market share? Or is Kiley's article too dismal? Let us know your thoughts.
Link

It's hard to maintain one's enthusiasm when the company you're rooting for is dying.

And if a Chinese merger takes place, I'll be looking elsewhere.
Old 8/8/06, 04:47 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess Toyota has some problems too

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...73253167745722
Old 8/8/06, 04:49 PM
Bullitt Member

I think the solution is put less electronic sh*t in the engine.
Old 8/8/06, 05:18 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

What Ford really needs is a third World War. That way, they can easily sneak into a small country and raid the reserves. Building tanks and what not might help drum up some business as well. If they're really crafty, they could also do some vandalism on the competion. OPPS! Was that our fleet of old tanker trucks that just got fell of the back of an airplane over your manufacturing facilities? We really didnt know they were full of Nitro Gylcerin. Honest!
Old 8/8/06, 06:50 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by hk2006
I guess Toyota has some problems too

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...73253167745722
There are problems...and then there are PROBLEMS >>

Market capitalization puts Ford at about $13 billion -- by comparison, Toyota is worth a whopping $170 billion.
Old 8/8/06, 06:54 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by korinwoodo
What Ford really needs is a third World War. That way, they can easily sneak into a small country and raid the reserves. Building tanks and what not might help drum up some business as well. If they're really crafty, they could also do some vandalism on the competion. OPPS! Was that our fleet of old tanker trucks that just got fell of the back of an airplane over your manufacturing facilities? We really didnt know they were full of Nitro Gylcerin. Honest!
Yeah, good answer.

Let me ask you this: If Ford gets bought out by Chang'An Corporate, will you still buy Ford...?

That's what I thought.

Guess what...it's THAT serious.
Old 8/8/06, 07:23 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
Yeah, good answer.

Let me ask you this: If Ford gets bought out by Chang'An Corporate, will you still buy Ford...?

That's what I thought.

Guess what...it's THAT serious.
Does that mean we can look forward to buying Fords at Wal Mart soon?
Old 8/8/06, 10:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Well, reality is reality and facts are facts, especially when news like the below is now surfacing almost daily (from Autoblog) >>

Link

It's hard to maintain one's enthusiasm when the company you're rooting for is dying.

Over on BlueOvalBlogs they slam David Kiley regularly on his factual errors. I'm not sure I'd take his articles too seriously.
Old 8/8/06, 11:44 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by TomServo92
Over on BlueOvalBlogs they slam David Kiley regularly on his factual errors. I'm not sure I'd take his articles too seriously.
Well, not being familiar with EITHER of the parties in question, just from a common sense standpoint I would tend to believe a staffer at Business Week over a bunch of guys posting at BlueOvalBlogs (who may have a vested interest in disbelieving or disputing the Business Week story).

Let's be clear on this: Ford Motor Co. is in serious peril right now. I can't see them "going away," but the thought of a Chinese company buying them out makes me sick. I'd rather see Ford "go away," actually.

Just go around your home and count up the number of things that say "Made in China" on them. If that doesn't represent a "clear and present danger," I don't know what does.
Old 8/9/06, 05:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

Full story

Why is it starting to feel like this company is on its last legs?
Toyota is having quite a time too.

http://www.wilmingtonstar.com/apps/p.../1002/business
Old 8/9/06, 06:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Well, not being familiar with EITHER of the parties in question, just from a common sense standpoint I would tend to believe a staffer at Business Week over a bunch of guys posting at BlueOvalBlogs (who may have a vested interest in disbelieving or disputing the Business Week story).

Let's be clear on this: Ford Motor Co. is in serious peril right now. I can't see them "going away," but the thought of a Chinese company buying them out makes me sick. I'd rather see Ford "go away," actually.

Just go around your home and count up the number of things that say "Made in China" on them. If that doesn't represent a "clear and present danger," I don't know what does.
One of the things I've learned is that it's hard to get unbiased news these days. It seems that someone always has an axe to grind either way. But the guys at BlueOvalBlogs point out Kiley's factual errors. Here's a prime example (Kiley's quote is in bold):

“July sales figures released August 1 show that the company saw a more than 44% decline from June in light truck and SUV sales.”

Ford’s June sales of trucks and SUVs: 161,796
Ford’s July sales of trucks and SUVs: 151,944

Kids, that is not “more than 44%”.
If Kiley can't something as simple as that right, it makes you wonder about the quality of the rest of his analyis (or the quality of the Businessweek editorial staff).
Old 8/9/06, 06:35 AM
GT Member

There are problems...and then there are PROBLEMS >>
I am not saying that Toyota is in the same bad shape as Ford is, I am just saying that everybody has recalls, not just Ford. I thought we were discussing recalls in this thread.
Old 8/9/06, 03:19 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by 2005GTDELUXE
Sure, if you want to compare a hang-nail to open heart surgery.
Old 8/9/06, 03:34 PM
GT Member

Sure, if you want to compare a hang-nail to open heart surgery.
"Power steering on their hard-to-get hybrid could fail. Tires on their small pickups could bulge and possibly burst. Air bags may not inflate during a crash"

This is a hang-nail? I wish I had your optimism...
Old 8/9/06, 09:46 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by hk2006
"Power steering on their hard-to-get hybrid could fail. Tires on their small pickups could bulge and possibly burst. Air bags may not inflate during a crash"

This is a hang-nail? I wish I had your optimism...
I was referring to the two companies' financial health, actually.
Old 8/10/06, 07:23 AM
Team Mustang Source

Link

All of this merger stuff is still speculation until it happens. The auto industry as a whole is facing difficult times.

And like I said before it takes more than 6 months for this plan to work. I'll remain optimistic and give the experts their deserved chance.

Keep the faith all!
Old 8/10/06, 06:08 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by 1999 Black 35th GT
And like I said before it takes more than 6 months for this plan to work. I'll remain optimistic and give the experts their deserved chance.
I SO hope you're right.
Old 8/12/06, 10:01 AM
Team Mustang Source

I SO hope you're right.
try buying one