Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

Mercury Division - Integral part of its new small-car strategy

Search this Thread

Old 7/23/08, 07:31 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jsaylor
Actually, I think Ford should go a completely different way with the Ford brand which would solve this problem altogether, but we know what we will be getting from Ford and we know European Fords are a part of it.

That said, if the 'rumor' regarding Mercury holds true they wont be getting exactly the same cars Ford does. For example, there are versions of the Focus that, if sold here, would cost well over 20k and I'm not referring to high performance models or the RHT version. There is no way you can fit a C segment vehicle trimmed out in such an expensive manner into an American Ford lineup. You start talking about mainstream Focus sedans that can be loaded out to 24k and you'll blow most consumers right out the front door.

But you could fit a slightly restyled version of the same into a revised, near luxury Mercury lineup. It's still a tight fit, but it actually does make sense and provides genuine differentiation on a meaningful level. Seems like it might be something akin to an American take on Acura truth be told.
J, if you didn't know, the price for the 2009 Focus has already gone up (just ordered an '09 for stock. SES, with 17'wheels, roof, and price is $21,200, without leather), and current 2008 models that are loaded with everything are over 21K right now, and people are paying it. Ford is quielty raising the prices on Focus each year till the Euro Mk III car arrives. When it does, people will be accustom to a mid-$20K Focus. With that, its also why the Fiesta is coming. It will slot in price where the USA Focus was.

My whole point was its not a good idea sending the good products that people want from Europe to the few Mercury dealers that are left. If you do, and they get busy, what about the core Ford stores, that will sit without the products people want? Let them fold. Now, if it turns out that Mercury will get the same car that Ford has, and change it up, thats fine to a point. Then we'll see if people will pay the extra price for the same car but glitzed up a little more. Don't know if they will or not. Just don't want to see Ford dealers (like myself) suffer and not get hot products, while the Mercury division gets new life. Keep the mothership afloat, not the small dingys.
Old 7/23/08, 09:58 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 05fordgt
J, if you didn't know, the price for the 2009 Focus has already gone up (just ordered an '09 for stock. SES, with 17'wheels, roof, and price is $21,200, without leather), and current 2008 models that are loaded with everything are over 21K right now, and people are paying it. Ford is quielty raising the prices on Focus each year till the Euro Mk III car arrives. When it does, people will be accustom to a mid-$20K Focus. With that, its also why the Fiesta is coming. It will slot in price where the USA Focus was.

My whole point was its not a good idea sending the good products that people want from Europe to the few Mercury dealers that are left. If you do, and they get busy, what about the core Ford stores, that will sit without the products people want? Let them fold. Now, if it turns out that Mercury will get the same car that Ford has, and change it up, thats fine to a point. Then we'll see if people will pay the extra price for the same car but glitzed up a little more. Don't know if they will or not. Just don't want to see Ford dealers (like myself) suffer and not get hot products, while the Mercury division gets new life. Keep the mothership afloat, not the small dingys.
What will or wont happen with Mercury aside, nothing in this article indicates a change in plan for Ford North America which has been to integrate with FOE product from the Mondeo down for some time now. Again, I still don't think that is the best plan....FNA can do better than this with my thought being that Mercury would be the better spot for combined NA/FOE product....but it may be the only one Ford can afford right now which brings better product into NA showrooms. Frankly, I also may just be under-estimating how expensive some of these Euro models can get. One of what I like to call the 'second tier' insiders is the guy I borrowed my 20k plus analogy from, but he wasn't using the Focus he used the Fiesta.

I avoided the use of that particular car in this analogy because my instinct is to think that 20k plus B segment are well beyond pushing the limit. His indication was that Mercury will be to small cars what Lincoln is to large cars.. That said, it is still difficult for me to imagine somebody paying 22k for a B segment ride. But part of me says I should know better......Honda's fit can be optioned out to nearly 17k, and that is without leather or navigation!. Add in those two items and a more premium sound system it would likely be a 21k car.

It will be interesting to see where Mercury does go, but you are worrying yourself over nothing regarding whether Ford will get the new Focus, Fiesta, etc. By this point Ford likely couldn't change that strategy if they wanted to.