Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

Future of the Ford Expedition?

Search this Thread

Old 2/11/10, 05:23 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Future of the Ford Expedition?

is there a future for it? i mean its about time for its refresh. i havent heard any word on a new Expedition. so yeah, is there a future for it or will the big SUV eventually fade away, or will there be a replacement? what do u guys think? (or know)
Old 2/11/10, 05:42 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Better not go away. What are people with more than two kids supposed to drive? Minivans suck!
Old 2/11/10, 06:04 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by Blue Notch
What are people with more than two kids supposed to drive?
Flex or 2011 Explorer.
Old 2/11/10, 06:16 PM

Too small unless you're kids are under 10.
Old 2/11/10, 06:23 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
It'll be around as long as the suburban is around.

There's wide open spaces across this country where the size of the parking spot doesn't matter. Does it really make sense to drive two rice burners that get 30 mpg to get your family and your stuff where it's going or one Suv that gets 15-20?

The people that demonize and what to do away with the large suv are the same people that push the lie that is global warming. The only thing it does is consume more gas. But this is America and we used to be able to buy and drive what we wanted too. As long as there is a market for it, I hope it stays around. I need a family car that seats 8 and there is no way I'm squeezing them into some crossover.
Old 2/11/10, 06:33 PM
Cobra Member

i for one hope it stays. id hate to see this crossover phase wipe out the SUV segment. its already took the explorer from its original roots...
Old 2/11/10, 07:11 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
But this is America and we used to be able to buy and drive what we wanted too.
Yeah, but then Chinese traded in their bicycles for cars. And gas went up, and so did demand for fuel efficient vehicles. Which Expedition is not.
Old 2/11/10, 07:19 PM
Post *****

Drill here, drill now.

All I'm saying is the market should decide. If people don't want it then that's fine. But where ther is demand a business should be allowed to profit.

People know that if they buy a large vehicle they may have to pay more for fuel in the future. The last few years taught us that lesson. It won't be surprise next time gas prices go up to $4 or more.

What's ridiculous is tampering with the markets for the purpse of making us all drive smaller cars because the government thinks it knows what's better for us than we do.
Old 2/11/10, 07:29 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
I agree, I have a 2004 that still going strong. But would like to see something new.
Old 2/11/10, 07:38 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by MadGT
I agree, I have a 2004 that still going strong. But would like to see something new.
my dad had a 2003 Expedition with the 5.4. good times in that thing. im sure its still going strong. heres 2 pics, after my dad traded it in for the F150. we saw it sitting in a parking lot. nothings changed since he sold it.

Old 2/14/10, 07:04 PM
GT Member

My two cents: I love my mom's 2003. It has been a great long hauler with minimal problems. We average 20mpg on the highway with the 4.6L.

My wish list: Give us a new Expedition that weighs less with the 3.7L as the base engine. This would be great for a fuel economy leader. Now, let's get serious...5.0L for those that tow...maybe a twin turbo 5.0L in an SVT variant! I can dream right?!?
Old 2/14/10, 08:10 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Rogue6
My two cents: I love my mom's 2003. It has been a great long hauler with minimal problems. We average 20mpg on the highway with the 4.6L.

My wish list: Give us a new Expedition that weighs less with the 3.7L as the base engine. This would be great for a fuel economy leader. Now, let's get serious...5.0L for those that tow...maybe a twin turbo 5.0L in an SVT variant! I can dream right?!?
+1 for a 5.0L Expedition
Old 2/14/10, 08:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buzz is that the Expy will go back to it's roots and become a four door F-150 wagon again. What I wonder is whether the Navigator will morph into a crossover or remain Expy based.
Old 2/14/10, 09:08 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by jsaylor
Buzz is that the Expy will go back to it's roots and become a four door F-150 wagon again. What I wonder is whether the Navigator will morph into a crossover or remain Expy based.
F-150 Wagon? Huh?
Old 2/14/10, 09:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Red Star
F-150 Wagon? Huh?
That is effectively what the first Expedition was....a four door F-150 with the back end of a wagon on a slightly modified F-150 frame. Heck, it even looked more or less like a four door F-150 wagon, again because that is what it was.
Old 2/14/10, 10:47 PM

Same with the silverado/suburban, etc...
Old 2/15/10, 12:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Drill here, drill now.

All I'm saying is the market should decide. If people don't want it then that's fine. But where ther is demand a business should be allowed to profit.

People know that if they buy a large vehicle they may have to pay more for fuel in the future. The last few years taught us that lesson. It won't be surprise next time gas prices go up to $4 or more.

What's ridiculous is tampering with the markets for the purpse of making us all drive smaller cars because the government thinks it knows what's better for us than we do.
Interesting. Do you feel the same way about illegal drugs? Because there's a market, and boy, is it huge... a person could really make a career out of that, y'know, if it were legal to sell coke to the people unfettered by governmental tampering...

----

First, I say *don't* drill here, now... well, not and let that loose upon the industry. Drill it, maybe, then cap it and hold off. When everyone we buy from runs out or holds us in price hostage, we'll have it. But don't think for a minute it won't be rationed/price fixed to stupid anyway.

I don't know what tampering you're talking about except for CAFE and gas guzzler... and honestly, I don't mind those. CAFE forced them to come up with the 17MPG City 412 HP 5.0. Without it, you'd have an 8MPG or worse situation. There's no need for that, as proven by the tech... tech which wouldn't have come without the 'tampering'.

Gas Guzzler is rightfully added to the 'stupid MPG' cars/trucks. There's no reason for them except excess. Why in the world do you need a 10MPG supercar, anyway? Hm? Much less a 12MPG SUV... Well, ok, *some* people need it. The Duggars come to mind...

My sister has a Santa Fe, and won't need anything larger than that for her two boys. She decided to get that instead of her Tahoe (yes, before the Santa there was the Tahoe) because, in her words "****, that thing costs too much to gas up." No tampering there, just simple economics. Bad enough he drives a F250 King Ranch Diesel...

---

And as far as 'the government knows better' thing... if you're so smart, why are they still there?

Yes, that is a smart *** answer. Sorry, just provin' a point.... if the government is supposed to do what we want (as in, be our representative) then we'd want to vote someone in to actually do that... but by and large, we don't, it appears. Oh, it may start out that way at some point... "Change!" and then... it descends into complacency of the familiar.

Why? Well, them politicians, they're slick... and they have no reason to exit office if they can stay in, except death, scandal (and even then, it doesn't always happen) or political climate change. Like happened with Ted Kennedy's seat, but even then, it took him dying to change it. Bad timing for the Democrats, to be honest, coupled with an apparently milquetoast candidate. Unfortunate. It's not like they didn't know he was in poor health or anything...

Anyway, when people don't hold them accountable for their action, but instead keep electing these career politicians, and then those politicians don't have the ability to say "ok, I've served my 10 years, time to move on", the onus then comes upon the people to make it happen for them. Starting with the primaries.

"But, dear me, the primaries... wherever will we get another (insert long time politician name)?! We can't *possibly* lose the seat! It'll be bad for us! Er, the American People(tm)!"

And then you have stagnation by default. Way to go us.

Worse, in my opinion, is these people who keep trying to shift 'up the ladder' by moving from one office to another. And when that's all you get... who do you vote for?!

It's sickening, when you think about it... we're represented by, in effect, an elite class of persons... and that's just poor of us.

GOOOH, y'all.

/Vote them all out. ALL of them. No Incumbents. Or better yet: Write in 'None of the Above'.
//Wait, this was about the Expedition... Sorry. He started it.
///No long term future, IMO. Unless there's new powerplants for it... gas prices will decide it's fate.

Last edited by houtex; 2/15/10 at 12:10 AM.
Old 2/15/10, 09:21 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by houtex
Interesting. Do you feel the same way about illegal drugs? Because there's a market, and boy, is it huge... a person could really make a career out of that, y'know, if it were legal to sell coke to the people unfettered by governmental tampering...

Easy answer. We're talking about an automobile and not illegal drugs.
Smart *** answer. Why stop there, why not go to legalized sex slave trade. Sure there is a market for it, but its wrong.

First, I say *don't* drill here, now... well, not and let that loose upon the industry. Drill it, maybe, then cap it and hold off. When everyone we buy from runs out or holds us in price hostage, we'll have it. But don't think for a minute it won't be rationed/price fixed to stupid anyway.
The only advantage is that at least its still in the ground. But when the new technology does finally take over, whatever it may be, its won't do us any good in the ground anymore. Also few people will drill a well and cap it unless they are waiting for higher prices to kick in.

I don't know what tampering you're talking about except for CAFE and gas guzzler... and honestly, I don't mind those. CAFE forced them to come up with the 17MPG City 412 HP 5.0. Without it, you'd have an 8MPG or worse situation. There's no need for that, as proven by the tech... tech which wouldn't have come without the 'tampering'.
Would we? Would enough people buy such a car knowing we had $4.00 gas not long ago. I don't think you, or I , or your sister would would buy such a car.

Gas Guzzler is rightfully added to the 'stupid MPG' cars/trucks. There's no reason for them except excess. Why in the world do you need a 10MPG supercar, anyway? Hm? Much less a 12MPG SUV... Well, ok, *some* people need it. The Duggars come to mind...
Supercars are made by people. People work at their jobs, more jobs would be nice right now. Simple answer, but again, it sounds like you'd just let the government socially engineer all purchases as long as you were OK with them.

My sister has a Santa Fe, and won't need anything larger than that for her two boys. She decided to get that instead of her Tahoe (yes, before the Santa there was the Tahoe) because, in her words "****, that thing costs too much to gas up." No tampering there, just simple economics. Bad enough he drives a F250 King Ranch Diesel...
Your sister made an informed market decision when she purchased a vehicle that was smaller and cheaper to drive per mile. That's all I'm asking for. Let the people decide. Are you saying that if the government hadn't made CAFE standards your sister would not have made the best decision for her because all people will naturally choose a gas guzzler when given the choice.

And as far as 'the government knows better' thing... if you're so smart, why are they still there?

Yes, that is a smart *** answer. Sorry, just provin' a point.... if the government is supposed to do what we want (as in, be our representative) then we'd want to vote someone in to actually do that... but by and large, we don't, it appears. Oh, it may start out that way at some point... "Change!" and then... it descends into complacency of the familiar.

Why? Well, them politicians, they're slick... and they have no reason to exit office if they can stay in, except death, scandal (and even then, it doesn't always happen) or political climate change. Like happened with Ted Kennedy's seat, but even then, it took him dying to change it. Bad timing for the Democrats, to be honest, coupled with an apparently milquetoast candidate. Unfortunate. It's not like they didn't know he was in poor health or anything...

Anyway, when people don't hold them accountable for their action, but instead keep electing these career politicians, and then those politicians don't have the ability to say "ok, I've served my 10 years, time to move on", the onus then comes upon the people to make it happen for them. Starting with the primaries.

"But, dear me, the primaries... wherever will we get another (insert long time politician name)?! We can't *possibly* lose the seat! It'll be bad for us! Er, the American People(tm)!"

And then you have stagnation by default. Way to go us.

Worse, in my opinion, is these people who keep trying to shift 'up the ladder' by moving from one office to another. And when that's all you get... who do you vote for?!

It's sickening, when you think about it... we're represented by, in effect, an elite class of persons... and that's just poor of us.

GOOOH, y'all.

/Vote them all out. ALL of them. No Incumbents. Or better yet: Write in 'None of the Above'.
I'll leave this for the politics thread. But there definitely needs to be some changes by the representatives of all parties. And new blood is needed. New blood that serves their constituents as well as their country as a whole, instead of serving themselves and their special interests.

//Wait, this was about the Expedition... Sorry. He started it.
///No long term future, IMO. Unless there's new powerplants for it... gas prices will decide it's fate.
I agree with this completely. Gas prices will decide its fate. Maybe the ecoboost V6 that's going in the F150 soon would surely help.
Old 2/15/10, 04:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have a friend who is 6' 11" tall and goes 400 LBS! He sure would hate to see Ford discontinue the Expedition! Fits him like a glove!

Last edited by red pony; 2/15/10 at 04:49 PM.
Old 2/15/10, 05:48 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 592 Likes on 425 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex

Even though my SGT only gets driven to hot rod around in, the average has never dipped below 20mpg in the 7000 miles it's traveled. I don't consider that a "stupid MPG car", yet it had a $1000 gas guzzler tax added to it.

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 2/15/10 at 05:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Future of the Ford Expedition?