Ford's Global C-Car Platform

Search this Thread

Old 11/8/10, 04:13 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford's Global C-Car Platform

http://www.motortrend.com/features/a...orm/index.html

Ford's been open about the fact that it intends to build 10 new cars off the global C-car platform (Focus), but they've stayed coy about exactly which models. MT has been digging to find out what they all are.
We know about the Focus sedan, hatchback, and wagon, plus the C-Max (five-seat), and Grand C-Max (seven-seat) minivans. There will also be a crossover replacing the Escape in the U.S. and the Kuga in Europe. That makes six. North America will get the sedan, hatchback, Grand C-Max, and the Escape replacement.

The Focus EV will be counted as a separate model. Its body will be somewhat differentiated from the gasoline sedan's. A C-Max hybrid and a C-Max plug-in hybrid will be made in Europe and exported to the U.S. It's likely that the bigger hybrid in the U.S. will be on the crossover body. That takes us to 10. The last of these will be available by calendar 2013. After that, Ford will begin studying other body styles, perhaps including a sport coupe, but insiders insist no decision has been made.

Old 11/8/10, 04:16 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why is Ford killing the Escape? It's Ford's best selling crossover/small SUV and one of best seller in its class on the market in general.
Old 11/8/10, 04:33 PM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Star
Maybe I'm missing something here, but why is Ford killing the Escape? It's Ford's best selling crossover/small SUV and one of best seller in its class on the market in general.
The platform is getting old and showing it's age. It is no longer following the new design "look" and image ford wants to portray.

I doubt the the Escape name will disappear, it will just end up on a new platform.
Old 11/8/10, 08:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 07S197
The platform is getting old and showing it's age. It is no longer following the new design "look" and image ford wants to portray.

I doubt the the Escape name will disappear, it will just end up on a new platform.
Global brand or not, it is pretty obvious that there will be nameplates in certain markets Ford will hold onto despite the fact that it will effectiely mean that identical vehicles will be sold in different markets with different names.
Old 11/8/10, 08:09 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Ford never had any luck with global models in the past ... I hope things will be different now.
Old 11/9/10, 04:37 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Ford never had any luck with global models in the past ... I hope things will be different now.
You were drooling over GM/Buick in the other thread (Regal) and stating Ford builds better cars than Opel, so why the negative attitude in this thread?
Old 11/9/10, 06:41 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
You were drooling over GM/Buick in the other thread (Regal) and stating Ford builds better cars than Opel, so why the negative attitude in this thread?
Well, there is a difference between a Buick and a Ford. Not only could Ford put a bigger sticker price on a vehicle with a "Mercury" badge compared to a Ford, but there there are also sales expectations. Buick/Mercury would be happy with 150,000 units sold during the entire year; Ford wouldn't.
So if Mercury line had let's say a Mondeo, Kuga, Galaxy and a Falcon for an example, I'm sure Mercury would be more than happy if they sold ~150,000 of them in a year (just like Buick is).
Ford's expectations are much higher and Ford never had any luck with global vehicles (with the exception of Focus Mk 1). Even this so-called ugly USA Focus (Mk 2) is outselling "handsome" Euro Focus (Mk 1) in the USA.
I don't mind European Fords, I like most of them; I just don't think they can be volume sellers in the USA.
Old 11/9/10, 06:49 AM
Post *****

I just don't think they can be volume sellers in the USA.
I think FMC is more worried about making money on cars as opposed to be being a "volume" leader.
Old 11/9/10, 06:59 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

True, but you can't do one without the other.
If sales go down - Ford will start closing factories again and then the Union might have a things or two to say about that and ... well, you know the story, Ford went through that not that long ago.
Old 11/9/10, 07:04 AM
Post *****

True, but you can't do one without the other.
Yes, you can . . . .
Old 11/9/10, 09:09 AM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
Yes, you can . . . .

You, have to get people to see the quality they are paying for & cut the fat.

It just drives me nuts that GM & Chrysler got to cut their fat and forget about all past responsibilities (ie supersites, taxes etc.) because they couldnt pay their bills. Then Ford has to suck wind because they could.
Old 11/9/10, 06:33 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Ford Kuga-Based, Compact Lincoln CUV to Be Thrown into the Mix

The currently unnamed Lincoln CUV is still in development, is smaller than the MKX, and is positioned to compete with the Lexus RX, as told to the Louisville Courier-Journal by Ford executives who spoke on condition of anonymity. Louisville, Kentucky, is home to the current Explorer but production halts for good on December 13 (2011 Explorer moves to Chicago). The Louisville facility will then retool with advanced, flexible robotic equipment and focus exclusively on C-segment vehicles, including the overseas Kuga and its upcoming Lincoln variant. The plant renovation is scheduled for completion in Q4 2011.

http://wot.motortrend.com/6692501/au...mix/index.html

Old 11/9/10, 11:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford's expectations are much higher and Ford never had any luck with global vehicles (with the exception of Focus Mk 1). Even this so-called ugly USA Focus (Mk 2) is outselling "handsome" Euro Focus (Mk 1) in the USA.
I don't mind European Fords, I like most of them; I just don't think they can be volume sellers in the USA.
I'll agree with you that Ford has certainly had no luck with global vehicles to this point Zoran, and I'll also agree that by and large European Ford models could virtually never be volume sellers in the American market. That said, I think the overlooked truth here is that, by and large, Ford isn't bringing European market models to America.

The reality has thus far been that development of most of the hugely important, volume models is centered in Dearborn including the soon to debut Focus. Yes, some models like Fiesta, C-Max, and the T-6 Ranger are developed elsewhere but the next gen Focus, Fusion/Mondeo, and Escape are apparently all being spearheaded in Dearborn which speaks volumes.

The cars are designed to accommodate every potential market and Ford engineers from every part of the world are brought in to work on these programs, but when we get down to basics Dearborn is playing a bigger role in Ford as whole than they have in years and I very much get the idea that the heart and soul of this global Ford is right up the road in Dearborn, and as such the reality might be more akin to the rest of the world getting world class, primarily American-designed Fords than the opposite.