Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

Ford Replacement Engine Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 3/2/14, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Replacement Engine Warranty

I have a 2006 F150 with a 5.4 and 66,000 miles. The truck was running great and I had no complaints; that was until I slammed in the brakes and it stalled. I tried starting it after and it would turn over, but not start. I took it to the dealer and they said the timing chain likely skipped and the engine needs to be replaced.

Now, the engine was replaced at 45,000 on 07/06/12 with a new long block at the dealer under warranty (Cam Phasers were shot). So in a year and a half and 20,000 miles the engine has gone again.

The Ford dealer says that because the engine was replaced under warranty; that any work done does not carry its own warranty, only the remainder of the trucks original warranty. After much discussion the dealer has put in a request for the work to be done under warranty, but theres no response yet. From what Ive heard nothing ever comes from these, and they are mostly used to get customers off the dealers back.

Has anyone ever experienced something like this before? My understanding was that the replacement engine carried a 3 year unlimited mile warranty, but apparently not. I love the truck but I don't think I can justify the cost to fix it

Last edited by Tommy_gun; 3/2/14 at 06:20 PM.
Old 3/3/14, 05:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
sad story indeed. And you never know until you start breaking the engine down if its shot or not.
Old 3/3/14, 06:31 AM
Cobra Member

Get in contact with Deysha from Ford customer service on here. It's my understanding that any work done by the dealer carries a warranty. Not sure for how long. Good luck!
Old 3/3/14, 06:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
It would be 12 months/12k miles warranty on the replacement engine or the vehicle's warranty, whichever lasts longer.

The 3yr/unlimited-mileage warranty applies only to retail purchases
Old 3/4/14, 10:08 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy_gun
I have a 2006 F150 with a 5.4 and 66,000 miles. The truck was running great and I had no complaints; that was until I slammed in the brakes and it stalled. I tried starting it after and it would turn over, but not start. I took it to the dealer and they said the timing chain likely skipped and the engine needs to be replaced. ...
Originally Posted by Gabe
It would be 12 months/12k miles warranty on the replacement engine or the vehicle's warranty, whichever lasts longer.

The 3yr/unlimited-mileage warranty applies only to retail purchases
Hello Tommy_gun,

On the date mentioned, when parts were replaced under warranty, the newly replaced parts/repair came with either a 12 month or 12,000 mile warranty, or whatever warranty was left on the vehicle. Whichever is greater, as Gabe mentioned.

You’re more than welcome to PM me with your VIN, mileage, dealer, previous repair details, full name, and best daytime number so I can review it. You should continue to work with your service manager and try to get this resolved.

Originally Posted by Ajcruz1
Get in contact with Deysha from Ford customer service on here. It's my understanding that any work done by the dealer carries a warranty. Not sure for how long. Good luck!
Thank you for the mention, Ajcruz1!

Deysha
Old 3/14/14, 05:55 PM

So long story short:
Engine was apparently replaced under a esp. The esp is not in my name so the dealer will not warranty anything.

However, back in November the same dealer did work under the esp for me and told me I was covered.

Dealer's cost to fix is $9500.00

So on a truck with a remanufactured and dealer installed engine that had 20k, the cost to fix will be more than the truck is worth.
Old 3/14/14, 06:11 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy_gun
I have a 2006 F150 with a 5.4 and 66,000 miles.
I took it to the dealer and they said the timing chain likely skipped and the engine needs to be replaced.

Now, the engine was replaced at 45,000 on 07/06/12 with a new long block at the dealer under warranty (Cam Phasers were shot). So in a year and a half and 20,000 miles the engine has gone again.
You need more info. Cam phasers failing would likely only require heads unless there was ground metal circulated through the entire engine (which has happened in some cases).
Why would they so easily assume the timing chain skipped with that few miles? Are they assuming the phaser failed again and somehow caused the chain to skip? Even if the chain skipped, you potentially have some bent valves if they interfered with each other, but I believe the 5.4L engine is 'free wheeling' where valves cannot hit pistons. So the bottom end may be fine.
Point being, a repair of damage is far cheaper than "yup... needs a new engine".

Sadly, there are plenty of reports the 5.4L SOHC's in the F's have had their share of problems with cam phasers, and Ford has pretty much ignored.

Last edited by cdynaco; 3/14/14 at 06:16 PM.