Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

Ford offers SmartAlert system to compete with OnStar

Search this Thread

Old 2/21/08, 01:22 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford offers SmartAlert system to compete with OnStar

In an effort to compete with OnStar, Ford has developed SmartAlert with a company called SkyWay Systems, Inc., of Colorado. Available to be installed by dealers by Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury dealers, SmartAlert uses GPS and can operate as a stolen car tracking service, and it will be connected to a call center that can unlock your doors for you.

Full story.

Not sure about the dealer install idea; would be better if it were a factory option.
Old 2/21/08, 01:27 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow, I'm suprised there was even interest in onstar to warrent a competator.

I've never once heard a person buying a gm car due to onstar being offered.
Old 2/21/08, 03:50 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Ford briefly had an On-Star competitor called "RESCU" back in 2000, 2001 and dropped it.

Why would Ford bother again? GM is having trouble retaining On-Star subscriptions and turning a profit with it. On-Star doesn't do much more than a cell phone.
Old 2/21/08, 04:13 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by V10
On-Star doesn't do much more than a cell phone.
Well, that's not exactly true. If you're in an accident and rendered unconscious - and your airbags have been deployed - the system will automatically contact OnStar. If they can't reach you to confirm you're OK, emergency personnel will be dispatched to your location.
Old 2/21/08, 04:56 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Plus if you have Verizon and a family plan, you can add your onstar onto it for $10 a month and now your vehicle has a voice activated hands free phone using your plans minutes. A nice feature if you talk a lot in the car. It's kinda weird hearing your car 'ring' for an incoming call while you're driving!
Old 2/21/08, 05:00 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by V10
Why would Ford bother again? GM is having trouble retaining On-Star subscriptions and turning a profit with it. On-Star doesn't do much more than a cell phone.
Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Well, that's not exactly true. If you're in an accident and rendered unconscious - and your airbags have been deployed - the system will automatically contact OnStar. If they can't reach you to confirm you're OK, emergency personnel will be dispatched to your location.
Well, that's not exactly true. If you're in an accident and rendered unconscious - and your airbags have been deployed -and you haven't paid you current subscription the system will automatically do NOTHING.
At least an old digital cell phone can still call 911 even without a current service as soon as you are conscious again.
And all the analog systems on the older cars are junk...
http://www.gadgetell.com/tech/commen...ction-lawsuit/
Old 2/21/08, 05:06 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
If you're rendered unconscious, what good is your cell phone if you're out cold and can't dial it??

Edit: Whoops, you did say when you become conscious again. (tired eyes - time to step away from the computer)
Old 2/21/08, 07:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

I think OnStar is a great system. The problem lies in the monthly subscription. If they offered a plan where it was free and only charge if you use it that would be ideal...at least for the consumer. Something like a contract saying that you agree to pay $25 in the event of a crash requiring OnStar to notify emergency personnel, $20 lockout service (cheaper than a locksmith), $50 to track a stolen car, another $25 to shut the engine off on said stolen car...etc....

If it operated like that, I would be more inclined to buy a GM with OnStar. Knowing I had the features there if I need them, and still don't have to pay a monthly fee is perfect.
Old 2/21/08, 07:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow! Way to go FORD!! Wonder how well it will do??
Old 2/21/08, 08:56 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by theedge67
I think OnStar is a great system. The problem lies in the monthly subscription. If they offered a plan where it was free and only charge if you use it that would be ideal...at least for the consumer. Something like a contract saying that you agree to pay $25 in the event of a crash requiring OnStar to notify emergency personnel, $20 lockout service (cheaper than a locksmith), $50 to track a stolen car, another $25 to shut the engine off on said stolen car...etc....

If it operated like that, I would be more inclined to buy a GM with OnStar. Knowing I had the features there if I need them, and still don't have to pay a monthly fee is perfect.
I might even buy that.
Old 2/22/08, 02:12 PM
Cobra Member

If they are going to offer it at all it's probably better to be customer driven and installed by dealers as opposed to the expense putting it in every vehicle and hoping owners will subscribe.
Old 2/22/08, 05:26 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Noboday want's that business mode anymore (Pay for use).

Everybody want's the phone company model, monthly payments no matter what.
Old 2/22/08, 07:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

Who is everybody? Everybody as in every company, or every consumer?

I would pay extra to have OnStar as an option on a vehicle, especially a higher end vehicle. I would not pay extra for a monthly subscription though.
Old 2/22/08, 10:08 PM
Closet American

I would pay extra to have OnStar as an option on a vehicle, especially a higher end vehicle. I would not pay extra for a monthly subscription though.
+1

Agreed.
Old 2/22/08, 11:21 PM

You could just use SYNC and a cell phone and not bother with the rest.
Old 2/23/08, 02:51 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Moosetang
You could just use SYNC and a cell phone and not bother with the rest.
SYNC and a cell phone aren't much good to you if you're unconscious.
Old 2/23/08, 06:34 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Every company.
Old 2/23/08, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
SYNC and a cell phone aren't much good to you if you're unconscious.
Well, in that case you need to make sure that if you run into someone they have a service and their subscription is current.
Old 2/23/08, 07:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

I just read an article about how SYNC is supposed to be upgradable, and the latest upgrade includes an auto 911 feature. As long as you have a cell phone that links up with the SYNC system, if you are in a crash with airbag deployment, the system will use your cell phone to dial 911 after 10 seconds. It waits 10 seconds so you have the opportunity to cancel it manually if you want.

After it dials 911, it plays a prerecorded message, then allows the person in the vehicle to talk to the 911 operator. If you cell phone is GPS enabled, it will also send a signal to the dispatch center with your location. Pretty cool. Better than OnStar in that it automatically dials 911. OnStar dials it's command center, who then look up the number for local authorities. It can take over 2 minutes to get help rolling with OnStar, but SYNC automatically dials 911, so the local authorities are immediately aware of the problem.

The downside of SYNC is the lack of GPS unless your phone has that feature. Mine does not, and neither do 90% of everyone else's phones. Good and bad to both systems.
Old 2/24/08, 02:15 AM
Closet American

I just read an article about how SYNC is supposed to be upgradable, and the latest upgrade includes an auto 911 feature. As long as you have a cell phone that links up with the SYNC system, if you are in a crash with airbag deployment, the system will use your cell phone to dial 911 after 10 seconds. It waits 10 seconds so you have the opportunity to cancel it manually if you want.

After it dials 911, it plays a prerecorded message, then allows the person in the vehicle to talk to the 911 operator. If you cell phone is GPS enabled, it will also send a signal to the dispatch center with your location. Pretty cool. Better than OnStar in that it automatically dials 911. OnStar dials it's command center, who then look up the number for local authorities. It can take over 2 minutes to get help rolling with OnStar, but SYNC automatically dials 911, so the local authorities are immediately aware of the problem.

The downside of SYNC is the lack of GPS unless your phone has that feature. Mine does not, and neither do 90% of everyone else's phones. Good and bad to both systems.
If your car is equipped with the NAV feature, can't SYNC make use of the GPS system in that?

Quick Reply: Ford offers SmartAlert system to compete with OnStar