Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

Ford and Detroit Auto Show

Old 12/2/05, 10:12 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
here's an article on the hydrogen rx-8
http://media.ford.com/mazda/article_displa...36;ECGT$EE

its sweet, i'm trying to promote this trip to the auto show to the people in my year, its a mech eng trip... and uhh... so in our dynamics of mechanisms class, the prof was telling us about the wankle engine, showing us some pics of the rx-8, haha, yay! cars...
anyways, so after the class i made an announcement and i was all like, hey class, if you thought that car was cool, come check out the hydrogen version on our sweet trip to detroit!

It'd be really cool if they could have that car running at the show, and then maybe collect the emissions, and then drink the emissions.

So from that list, we've got a couple FoMoCo things coming up.
the shelby convertible
a ford production car (the edge)
lincoln aviator
the XK vert
two ford concepts, a lincoln concept, and a concept each from mazda and volvo.
I wonder what the mazda concept'll be. THey already unveiled the concept version of their Ford Edge equivalent last year, the CX-7 or something. I'd think they'd have the production CX-7 by then, maybe that'll be added to the list. I heard in my local newspaper that mazda might have another little sports car, based on the mx-5 or something... maybe that could be it.

So, two ford concepts and a lincoln concept... what are they gonna be?

Personally, i hope for a b-segment car from ford, like the fiesta to slot under the focus. Maybe they could unveil the SVT fusion already!!! That'd be so sweet! Really do a lot to boost fusion sales to have a sweet concept out already. Kinda like they did for the mustang. Mustang went on sale in 2004 right? and then the concept SVT stang was put out at the next Detroit show?
And from lincoln, i'm thinking it'll be that continental or whatever that Jason was talking about with the 4.4L.
Old 12/2/05, 05:32 PM
FR500 Member

In regards to the prior post, if the little sports car concept from Mazda is based on the mx-5 it could be... an RX-7? That would be great, except I think they would unveil it first in Japan. Would be nice though. Seems Ford forgot about Mercury? (What, no Cougar? Or better yet, produce the Forty Nine since the T-Bird is gone...) Just have to wait and see.
Old 12/2/05, 07:07 PM
Cobra R Member

I don't think this list is definitive. Like just looking at that, it makes me think that other auto shows have a lot more new stuff than that.

About the RX-7... the article i read seemed to think this little thing was based on the mazda and that we shouldn't expect to see the wankle in there... which is too bad. I dunno, i could imagine it being an rx-7 with the rotary, despite what that article said.
Old 12/2/05, 07:48 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally posted by hi5.0@December 2, 2005, 6:35 PM
In regards to the prior post, if the little sports car concept from Mazda is based on the mx-5 it could be... an RX-7? That would be great, except I think they would unveil it first in Japan. Would be nice though.
Mazda did introduce new sports car at Tokyo Auto Show.

Old 12/3/05, 04:17 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
I'm pretty sure(?) that new S80 will be on display as well . .
Old 12/3/05, 08:46 AM
Cobra R Member

Ya that's right, we've seen spy shots of the next S80. I look forward to seeing Volvo's latest design. And its supposed to get the 4.4L v8 too.
Old 12/5/05, 07:33 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere that new small car from Ford will be introduced in 2006, but I'm not sure if its Detroit Auto Show.
Old 12/5/05, 10:10 PM
GT Member

What kind of power are these 4.4l V8s putting out? I mean. I personally love Town cars, and vics..but..4.6l v8s with 230 some odd hp..it aint kosher
Old 12/6/05, 10:40 AM
Cobra R Member

its the same as the v8 in the xc90.... so i guess it should be similar to 311hp
Old 12/7/05, 10:24 PM
Cobra R Member

Okay, here's some confirmation for that third mazda sports car, from the car connection:

Mazda's Detroit Concept Splits RX-8, Miata

Two's company and three is… very exciting news from Mazda. The Japanese firm has revealed it will add to its sportscar range with the addition of a third model to sit alongside the RX-8 and MX-5.

The car will be unveiled at January's Detroit auto show, and though it will be styled and badged as a concept, insiders say the two-seater hints very strongly at a production model that will go on sale around 2008. We've been told it's a mini RX-8 with a hint of MX-3, but crucially won't use the former car's rotary engine.

It will be designed and developed by Mazda North America, based inIrvine, Calif. The center's director of design, Franz von Holzhausen, said, "It's an exciting continuation of the Mazda DNA. We will offer a product that's relevant to what people want, and enters us into an arena that we have not been in before."

The designer emphasized that the car would be aimed at North American buyers. However, he admitted it has been designed so that it is "conceptually possible" for it to made right-hand-drive for fans in countries such as Britain and Japan. -Richard Yarrow

soooo.... a two seater coupe? a la cayman/z4coupe/slk coupe?? just maybe a bit cheaper? I'm excited, cause i felt a little let down by the styling of the new miata, maybe this one'll be a bit more interesting, like the RX-8. Two bad it won't get the rotary though.

here's the rest of their preview of the detroit show:
http://www.thecarconnection.com/Auto_News/...S286.A9699.html