Ford considering a Mustang-based Falcon

Old 7/22/06, 01:06 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford considering a Mustang-based Falcon

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=116252

From Inside-Line:

ut sources tell Inside Line the Dearborn automaker may pull the Fairlane ahead to calendar-year 2008 — as well as give it a new name. Originally, the Fairlane, which was introduced as a retro concept in 2005, was to be introduced in 2009. The automaker is also said to be considering a Mustang-based Falcon for 2010. The internal thinking is that rear-wheel-drive muscle cars are the future of the American auto industry. Another likely vehicle to hit U.S. showrooms is the European Focus flex-fuel vehicle. But don't look for the company's Thai Ranger pickup to be introduced here because it's too small for the American market, sources say.
Old 7/22/06, 01:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
That's pretty ironic since the first Mustang was based on the Falcon.
Old 7/22/06, 02:09 PM
GT Member

Wouldn't it make more sense to bring over the Fiesta from the UK since the price of gas appears to be staying within sight of $3/gallon?

I believe that more car buyers are going to be putting a premium on more fuel effecient cars than on something larger. Ford has some great cars in other markets that could be big sellers here.

Tony D
Old 7/22/06, 03:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

A stretched Mustang platform could make a good replacement for the Crown Vic with the Falcon or Galaxie nameplate if it could be made large enough. But if the Australian Falcon is used in the U.S., the Five-Hundred and it are similarly sized, and would position the Five-Hundred to be replaced(or poised more as a luxury car than the Charger killing Falcon).

I agree, NewEdge the Fiesta would take off in America. All they need is to just price it right.
Old 7/22/06, 04:17 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They are about 10 years too late with the Falcon. Hopefully it will come in time to compete.

I really don't see a focussed direction with Ford's product lineup... i'm starting to get worried about their future.

I don't know about in the US, but up in Canada, people are ready and willing to buy smaller cars and smaller SUV's. Ford has to get the Focus up to snuff to compete.

The Ranger is another languishing product. A diesel powered modern Ranger would be selling like hotcakes right now. Considering how BIG the F150 is now compared to one or two generations ago, a slightly upsized Ranger with a diesel option would fill a great niche.

GM is just as bad right now IMO
Old 7/22/06, 05:01 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

It seems like Ford wants to fail.
Old 7/22/06, 07:32 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Who in their right mind would consider a rear drive muscle car the FUTURE.
I bought my Mustang to downsize and improve my gas mileage on my Sunday driver car. (I went from a 455 Oldsmobile.)
All my other cars are 4 cylinders.
Old 7/22/06, 08:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
sounds cool to me...hehe if you think about it...the irony...a Falcon from a Mustang....just the opposite of the 1964 stangs!! lol duhhhh i kno...we're all Stang nuts here and know that already
Old 7/23/06, 12:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
sounds better than importing the falcon from Australia.
Old 7/24/06, 12:47 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by Red Star
It seems like Ford wants to fail.
Why, becuase they don't want to clone the Toyota/Honda lineup and slap blue ovals on them? Becuase they're putting out great B-segment vehicles through Mazda and Volvo before Ford NA?

They're putting more focus on cars and crossovers, trying to move away from their reliance on trucks. But they can't afford to simultaneously revamp EVERY car in it's lineup, or mass-import segment vheicles not designed for NA. Sure, the Focus is getting dated and sales are taking a hit compared to the competition. But at least it's still selling. Ford has nothing in it's lineup right now filling the Crossover segment that consumers are flocking to, so they're workign hard to get the Edge and (Fairlane) pushed in. Their sedans are all front/AWD with V6s while DCX is making a killing on V8+RWD, even in the fuel crunch, so they're trying to pull out another RWD V8.

This kind of revamp takes time, and has to be done without bankrupting the company any worse. So not every product's going to get attention right away. But what does come will be good, and Ford NA's lineup will get better, just not overnight. Keep the faith.
Old 7/24/06, 01:03 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by Moosetang
Why, becuase they don't want to clone the Toyota/Honda lineup and slap blue ovals on them? Becuase they're putting out great B-segment vehicles through Mazda and Volvo before Ford NA?

They're putting more focus on cars and crossovers, trying to move away from their reliance on trucks.
No, they should not clone Toyota/Honda, but they should do something about their car lineup.

They're putting more focus on cars? Which car(s) does Ford have that people really wanna buy? 500 and Freestyle? Not really. Mustang? Not with today's gas prices. Focus? I won't even comment this one. Crown Vicky? Maybe if you're cop, taxi driver or over 70. So that leaves Ford with Fusion which is new on the market and still have a lot to prove.

Ford did great job on crossovers, but car lineup, at this moment, sucks.
Old 7/24/06, 02:55 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
No, they should not clone Toyota/Honda, but they should do something about their car lineup.

They're putting more focus on cars? Which car(s) does Ford have that people really wanna buy? 500 and Freestyle? Not really. Mustang? Not with today's gas prices. Focus? I won't even comment this one. Crown Vicky? Maybe if you're cop, taxi driver or over 70. So that leaves Ford with Fusion which is new on the market and still have a lot to prove.

Well their car lineup is up 7%, that's a start. And don't bring up the Taurus as you like to do from time to time . They are all Fleet sales and aren't making money on them. A true B-segment fighter and the upcoming freshing/3.5 in the Five Hundred should also help. I'm not sure a RWD/V8 platform is needed (unless it replaces the Crown Vic (and sisters)). If gas prices continue to rise a V8/RWD sedan won't help them at all. Heck, even the mighty 300c sales are down 21%.
Old 7/24/06, 05:28 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
And don't bring up the Taurus as you like to do from time to time .
I happen to like Taurus and I still think Ford made big mistake by bringing 500 to replace it.
Old 7/24/06, 05:47 PM
FR500 Member

I think some of these posts demonstrate a (big) part of "Ford's problem" - the company mostly reacts to changes in the market - coming late to the party, so to speak. Other than the Mustang, what other cars are other manufacturers trying to develop to compete with a vehicle in Ford's lineup? Crossover vehicles? New RWD sedans? Only "now" Ford is considering them for production. The small car segment makes up only a small percentage of the overall market, yet consumers are more aware of them in light of rising fuel prices - yet there is no serious indication that there will be a future model like a Ka/Fiesta or even a revamped NA Focus. Toyota and Honda report that they are selling their Yaris and Fit models about as fast as they can build them. Sure, Mazda and Volvo get the improved platform, but how does it help Ford? It doesn't because any good press generated is not associated with the Ford brand name - at least in the mind of the general buying public. Another thing is the move to smaller trucks/SUV's - a new Ranger could be poised to take that segment since other once-compact trucks got bigger and the Colorado is a joke. Letting products languish contributes to decreased (perception of) quality and resulting lower sales in a constantly evolving/improving market.

Ookaay, back to topic! Yes, Ford needs a RWD sedan or else it would lose a big part of the taxi/limo market, plus it would be nice to see a police interceptor package that could crush the Charger. I suppose in this case, better late than never - but if it is late, it better be pretty darn good!
Old 7/24/06, 05:48 PM
Post *****

I happen to like Taurus and I still think Ford made big mistake by bringing 500 to replace it.
I like it too. I own one and have owned 2 in the past, but the Five Hundred and Fusion are MUCH better cars. I do agree that Ford dropped the ball in not updating the Taurus when it was the #1 car in the USA, but there isn't much Ford can do about that now.
Old 7/25/06, 07:56 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
I like it too. I own one and have owned 2 in the past, but the Five Hundred and Fusion are MUCH better cars. I do agree that Ford dropped the ball in not updating the Taurus when it was the #1 car in the USA, but there isn't much Ford can do about that now.
If you can find it, pick up the book "Car" by Mary Walton. It details the story behind the '96 Taurus refit and design process. Looking back in perspective it is interesting haw many miscalculations were made.

BTW Ford gave Ms. Walton carte blanche behind the scenes and from what I understand-they were none too pleased at the finished product. In her defense I found the book to be well balanced with very little if any bias.
Old 7/25/06, 09:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Let's not forget that DCX is using the DOD (displacement on demand -- cylinder shut-off) technology in their V8's, and I expect Ford will follow suit in order to improve gas mileage in their RWD+V8 cars. Bring on the muscle family cars, I say!
Old 7/25/06, 06:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, to let you know, customers who are interested in a Mustang, gas mileage isn't on their mind, trust me on that one. The 500 is a very nice safe car, and I can't wait to see the re-freshining, as this will help the car (that AND the new 3.5L V6). The Focus, with all the rebates factored in, is a great buy. I'd buy a Focus over any of the new import B-Segment cars. I agree the Crown Victoria needs a major SOS. And lastly, don't sell the Fusion short. It is a wonderful car. Much better than the Taurus was, and we are delivering these daily. Heck, we are selling a good amount of 4-cylinder cars. Red Star, If I may ask, have you driven a Fusion yet?
Old 7/25/06, 07:20 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Well, to let you know, customers who are interested in a Mustang, gas mileage isn't on their mind, trust me on that one. The 500 is a very nice safe car, and I can't wait to see the re-freshining, as this will help the car (that AND the new 3.5L V6). The Focus, with all the rebates factored in, is a great buy. I'd buy a Focus over any of the new import B-Segment cars. I agree the Crown Victoria needs a major SOS. And lastly, don't sell the Fusion short. It is a wonderful car. Much better than the Taurus was, and we are delivering these daily. Heck, we are selling a good amount of 4-cylinder cars. Red Star, If I may ask, have you driven a Fusion yet?
I own and am interested in Mustang and gas mileage is on my ming.

Both 500 and Freestyle failed. For was planning to sell at least 120,000 of each and that never happened.

Focus may be #1 on your list, but most buyers will go with Corolla, Civic and similar cars. I read story recently about Focus and it said that Ford is losing between $4,000 and $5,000 on each Focus sold.

No, I never drove Fusion and I'm not planing to. I don't really know why you asked me that question since I didn't say anything negative about Fusion. It may be better than Taurus, but sales numbers are still on Taurus side. Not just this year.
Old 7/25/06, 07:37 PM
Post *****

I own and am interested in Mustang and gas mileage is on my ming.

Both 500 and Freestyle failed. For was planning to sell at least 120,000 of each and that never happened.

Focus may be #1 on your list, but most buyers will go with Corolla, Civic and similar cars. I read story recently about Focus and it said that Ford is losing between $4,000 and $5,000 on each Focus sold.

No, I never drove Fusion and I'm not planing to. I don't really know why you asked me that question since I didn't say anything negative about Fusion. It may be better than Taurus, but sales numbers are still on Taurus side. Not just this year.
I believe target sales for the Five Hundred/Montego/Freestyle twins was a combined 200K-250K units. They should hit the 200K mark. I've read a couple conflicting posts on BON that the initial target was 250K, but have also read 200K. Are they a success? Yes, I wouldn't say so, but I wouldn't go as far to call them a "hit". However, I think their sales will continue to climb.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ford considering a Mustang-based Falcon