Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

Changing Five Hundred to Taurus shows Mulally gets Ford

Search this Thread

Old 3/19/07, 06:45 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 05fordgt
The only thing I disagree with Alan, is that you cannot bring over European Fords (S-Max, Mondeo, Fiesta, etc) and give them solely to Mercury. If you want to help Ford, you have to give these to Ford dealers, since there are ALOT more Ford dealers than there are Mercury dealers. Personally, they should just retilre the Mercury brand (too many cross competing cars in-house) and make Lincoln into a true competitor for Cadillac. Don't kill me for my idea, its JMHO.
Well, put Jeff. I think that if you take 5 or six of the models and spread them across the platforms making some exclusive to Mercury and some with Ford. There can still be a couple of re-branded ones but not to the extent they have done in the past. And yes finally put Lincoln in it's rightful place in Cadillac's category for performance luxury.
Old 3/20/07, 05:22 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Personally, they should just retilre the Mercury brand (too many cross competing cars in-house) and make Lincoln into a true competitor for Cadillac. Don't kill me for my idea, its JMHO.
The only problem with that idea is rumors are Caddy is loosing money. GM has spent a ton of $$ developing all those new Caddies, some of which are very nice vehicles and superior to what Lincoln is currently offering, but Caddy division may never recover all the R&D costs and turn a profit.
Old 3/21/07, 12:41 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hatchttu
"They also need to kill off the "corporate grille" it is killing the auto industry in general. Very few companies can pull it off right, and right now Ford is NOT one of them."

I couldn't agree with this more! What happened to making iconic cars like the Mustang for example, where it is unique. The fact that all cars from a manufacturer have to look the same is rediculous. Wouldn't it be better to make cars that people say oh thats a Ford _____ and know the model and brand because of the design not just oh thats another car with that ugly grill.

Really I think GM is doing it worse than Ford with the one design for all cars. I can barely tell what is in front or behind (mostly behind!) me while driving down the road any more.