Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

2010 Taurus

Search this Thread

Old 1/11/09 | 10:41 AM
Post *****

oh my golly good god that is a fantastic looking car

The nose is amazing, the *** is Interceptor, which is amazing

I did not see this coming. Where did this come from?! not complaining mind you but this is.. just.. wow. Arin is VERY impressed
Old 1/11/09 | 10:44 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Now, I don't want to hit on Ford as I'm a Ford boy through and through, but isn't it about time that there was some serious global platform sharing going on? The latest Mondeo is a superb platform and I'm sure Ford could have saved hundreds of millions of dollars if they'd adapted that to the US market (clearly the US car would be focused more on auto boxes and V6 petrols as opposed to the diesels....changes in suspension settings etc). That'd leave more money for the Mustang
This is a fair bit bigger than the Mondeo, but the good news is that the Mondeo and Fusion will reportedly merge onto the same platform when they both get their next redesign in 3-4 years.
Old 1/11/09 | 10:46 AM

I find people's general complaints on the rear vexing. To me, the rear of the new Malibu is completely horrible and yet rarely has anyone said boo about it. The rear on this new Taurus is far from perfect but I find it quite acceptable.
Old 1/11/09 | 10:49 AM
Post *****

the rear is GORGEOUS
Old 1/11/09 | 11:18 AM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

not too shabby..I like the split in the center of the upper dash pad..wish the stang had that. Not sure what the heck that little body line is doing ghtere on the rear qtr panel..reminds me of the stangs useless body line.
I see Fords now gopnna be using the loaded diaper on alot of thier cars...less offensive on this one but still clunky looking

Last edited by burningman; 1/11/09 at 11:21 AM.
Old 1/11/09 | 11:22 AM
V6 Member

This should also return 30mpg with the 2.77 gear.
Old 1/11/09 | 12:03 PM
Post *****

Makes me wish I needed a 4 door sedan, but I don't.

I am honestly really liking Fords lineup more and more. This with the Fusion, the Fiesta, and yes even the Mustang look like the best lineup in cars then with the truck I feel like buying some Ford stock tomorrow.
Old 1/11/09 | 12:32 PM
Bullitt Member

I absolutely love it. I think everything about it is amazing. This vehicle is a step up in every aspect. In my personal opinion, this car is WAY better looking then the MKS. I was never a fan of the MKS because I felt it wasn't anything spectacular or original. THIS on the other hand is both spectacularly better than the current Taurus, and completely original. If this car is any indication of where Ford is headed with the rest of their "all new" lineup, then I think they will be in a very good position to regain consumer support for their Brands.

I just can't wait to drive the SHO when it finally comes back.
Old 1/11/09 | 12:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Looks way better and packs more inovation than the redesigned Camry!
Old 1/11/09 | 03:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

I love it! I can't wait to see the SHO version. I need a 4dr since my kids are getting bigger but, I'm not sure I can give up the Mustang.
Old 1/11/09 | 09:21 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Moosetang
The Taurus is BACK, baby!

1. It's a V6 FWD/WD tranny not a V6/V8 RWD tranny

2.Made more sense to package new gearboxes with the 2011 engines than to spend the R&D money putting new gear behind the carryover engines for just one year
If Ford is putting a 6 speed automatic in the 2011, that makes sense. If not, I am going to be disappointed.
Old 1/11/09 | 09:50 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by MARZ
It says in the Ford literature that an Ecoboost version is "coming soon."
Team that engine with AWD and some suspension tuning from SVT, and it could have the makings of a "SHO-fire" winnah!
Old 1/12/09 | 08:54 AM

Nice enough but rather bland, especially the exterior. Pretty much the American Velveeta cheese compared to the Euro Mondeo's Percorino Romano, all very inoffensive and competently done, to be sure, but then, that's pretty much what the corner of the American car market wants and Ford seems to have delivered a perfectly good transportation appliance here.

The interior looks a bit more interesting if not ground breaking. Materials, craftsmanship and construction seem to be very nice though, something Ford really has been doing well in the past couple of years. Add in the V6 turbo boost (SHO?) and you could have a very interesting sleeper/Q-ship here.
Old 1/12/09 | 09:19 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Moosetang
This is a fair bit bigger than the Mondeo, but the good news is that the Mondeo and Fusion will reportedly merge onto the same platform when they both get their next redesign in 3-4 years.
Fair comment. Perhaps they should have designed the Mondeo's platform to be more flexible. Maybe next time.

Old 1/12/09 | 09:26 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by burningman
not too shabby..I like the split in the center of the upper dash pad..wish the stang had that. Not sure what the heck that little body line is doing ghtere on the rear qtr panel..reminds me of the stangs useless body line.
I see Fords now gopnna be using the loaded diaper on alot of thier cars...less offensive on this one but still clunky looking
I am happy to see the Interceptor rear end influence. It does nod to past full-sized Fords of the late 60's and early 70's with the rectangular taillamps and floating clear lens in the center. The rear end and roofline is very substantial and makes this car.

Last edited by watchdevil; 1/12/09 at 09:38 AM.
Old 1/12/09 | 10:27 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by rhumb
Nice enough but rather bland, especially the exterior. Pretty much the American Velveeta cheese compared to the Euro Mondeo's Percorino Romano, all very inoffensive and competently done, to be sure, but then, that's pretty much what the corner of the American car market wants and Ford seems to have delivered a perfectly good transportation appliance here.

The interior looks a bit more interesting if not ground breaking. Materials, craftsmanship and construction seem to be very nice though, something Ford really has been doing well in the past couple of years. Add in the V6 turbo boost (SHO?) and you could have a very interesting sleeper/Q-ship here.
I agree that the front end is nothing that really stands out, just conservative good looks. But that Interceptor back end is really cool, almost retro, very Ford. It saves the car's design for me. But ya, the way that body line picks up again on the rear quarter panel, it's really funny. Why'd they bother? It looks awkward and is probably annoying to make, considering it even includes the gas cap!
Old 1/12/09 | 10:44 AM
Cobra Member

Inside looks really nice! I wish I could say the same for the outside. it's strange to me why the front end is Aero like the original Taurus but the back end appears very angular. I do like the shot in Sterling that Moostang has- Nascarish. maybe the whole package will grow on me

Old 1/12/09 | 03:36 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by runningwild4.6
Inside looks really nice! I wish I could say the same for the outside. it's strange to me why the front end is Aero like the original Taurus but the back end appears very angular. I do like the shot in Sterling that Moostang has- Nascarish. maybe the whole package will grow on me

I think the Taurus front end turned out better than I expected. Notice it got the Interceptor's "toilet seat" hood. I like the Taurus' more conventional grille and headlamp shape vs. the Interceptor's upright Ford Truck-like look whic h is way too high and blunt in the front. The cheese grater looks inspired by the texture in the lower air intake of the Interceptor.

Looks like the Mustang got an Interceptor inspired dome for the hood.

I am glad to see the thick three chrome bars go away. The only thing it was good for was to watch the sequential turn signal action of my car by looking in the rear view mirror into a three bar grille Ford behind me. This is a true story!

If the Lincoln MKS is any indication of size of the new Taurus it is massive. I finally went to the Ford dealer today to get the airbag recall done and while I was waiting there was a Lincoln MKS parked next to a new Town Car and the MKS looks massive next to it with only the Town Car longer in length. However the greenhouse of the MKS is taller and more massive. When you see these two cars together you can tell the Town Car is hopelessly dated.

Last edited by watchdevil; 1/12/09 at 03:43 PM.
Old 1/13/09 | 04:00 PM

Autoblog has an in-depth video of Taurus's design and features:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/13/d...depth-w-video/
Old 1/14/09 | 12:10 AM

Another Vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=521tQgqXwEY
Black, baby!

Quick Reply: 2010 Taurus