SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

X-Cal 2 Tunes

Search this Thread

Old 8/13/06, 04:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up X-Cal 2 Tunes

OK. After a couple of days playing with my new toy the X-Cal 2 from Doug I have come to this decision..... NICE!
It took me 2 days to burn off my full tank of 87 so that I could fill with 91 needed for the tunes I ordered.
Heres my breakdown of each tune.

91 Performance.
Huge amount of power in the higher power band 3000rpm and above, great for overtaking on the freeway. 60mph? just drop it down and go.

91 Race
I have to admit I havent played with this tune all that much, not as much as I thought I would have done. Certainly tell there is more power available. The only reason I havent played that much with this tune is because.....

91 Torque
Holy **** Doug! What did you do to my car? I have had to relearn how to drive my car all over again. I need to keep my foot ready for the brake when following traffic now. 0-4000 rpm is just rediculous. I keep stabbing at the acc pedal just to rocket behind someone. This is what my car was looking for. Since fitting the Borlas and the CAI I had noticed a drop off in power in the low rpm range and now this has rectified the problem and created something beautiful at the same time. I dont know why but it has improved the tone of my Borlas also.
Before, after dropping back on the gas my car would shudder and now it does not. The power is constant, smooth and always there.

The install was simple. Simply plug the X-cal into the port under the drivers side dash above right knee and follow the instructions.
1. Select tune to upload
2. Turn ignition to 'on'
3. Wait for ECM update
4. Turn ignition to 'off'

If anyone is considering this mod then I highly suggest you go do it. It has changed the feel of my car beyond what I expected. It is a dream to drive and all stangs should roll out of the factory like this, they would sell so many more.

If you do pull the trigger on the X-cal speak to Doug @ Bamachips. Thoroughly nice guy (I screwed up my order initially and he called within minutes) and it is more than obvious he knows what he is doing.

Thankyou everyone who pushed me in this direction with my modding and thankyou Doug for the great tunes.
Old 8/13/06, 06:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Glad to hear you like it! I'm still waiting for the financial resources to buy a tuner. A couple questions though:
Where is the calibration code on the car?
And does the tuner come with the computer software for tune downloads? I know its not necessary when you first get the tuner, but if you need to order a new tune, it would be good to have.
Old 8/13/06, 08:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tricky02GT
OK. After a couple of days playing with my new toy the X-Cal 2 from Doug I have come to this decision..... NICE!
It took me 2 days to burn off my full tank of 87 so that I could fill with 91 needed for the tunes I ordered.
Heres my breakdown of each tune.

91 Performance.
Huge amount of power in the higher power band 3000rpm and above, great for overtaking on the freeway. 60mph? just drop it down and go.

91 Race
I have to admit I havent played with this tune all that much, not as much as I thought I would have done. Certainly tell there is more power available. The only reason I havent played that much with this tune is because.....

91 Torque
Holy **** Doug! What did you do to my car? I have had to relearn how to drive my car all over again. I need to keep my foot ready for the brake when following traffic now. 0-4000 rpm is just rediculous. I keep stabbing at the acc pedal just to rocket behind someone. This is what my car was looking for. Since fitting the Borlas and the CAI I had noticed a drop off in power in the low rpm range and now this has rectified the problem and created something beautiful at the same time. I dont know why but it has improved the tone of my Borlas also.
Before, after dropping back on the gas my car would shudder and now it does not. The power is constant, smooth and always there.

The install was simple. Simply plug the X-cal into the port under the drivers side dash above right knee and follow the instructions.
1. Select tune to upload
2. Turn ignition to 'on'
3. Wait for ECM update
4. Turn ignition to 'off'

If anyone is considering this mod then I highly suggest you go do it. It has changed the feel of my car beyond what I expected. It is a dream to drive and all stangs should roll out of the factory like this, they would sell so many more.

If you do pull the trigger on the X-cal speak to Doug @ Bamachips. Thoroughly nice guy (I screwed up my order initially and he called within minutes) and it is more than obvious he knows what he is doing.

Thankyou everyone who pushed me in this direction with my modding and thankyou Doug for the great tunes.
SWEET Trick! I can't WAIT to pick mine up at UPS tomorrow (yes, my NEW UPS driver is a dumb hiney ! Apparently he couldn't find my house and took it back to and said there was an address problem! Yeah, the address problem was YOU don't know how to read a FLIPPIN MAP!!!!! )

I'm going to switch over to the 87 Performance for the drive home, burn all that off and switch to 89 Torq for a tank...then 91 Torq.
Old 8/13/06, 08:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mudshuvel319
Glad to hear you like it! I'm still waiting for the financial resources to buy a tuner. A couple questions though:
Where is the calibration code on the car?
Mud, if you're referring to the 4 character code for your computer, there are two places. One is behind the kick panel on the passenger side. You have to pry that out so you can get it. There are 4 big characters that you need. BTW, this is the hard way to get it, I found out as I was crawling out of the car. The other place is on the passenger side doorframe. A little easier to get to!

The only thing that I would suggest is to check both to see if they match. I don't know if anyone would go to the trouble of changing the sticker on the doorframe if they changed out the computer.
Old 8/14/06, 09:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yep, Pauls right. The computer code is four didgit code under kick panel on right hand side of passenger foot well. You have to pull the plastic off which was a big of a pain for me (neons get in way). My other code is on the passenger door above the lock. This number has worn away over the years and is in fear of falling off. I will post pics later.
The tuner comes complete with CD ROM with all necessary software on it. You can also get downloads (firmware updates etc) from www.sctflash.com .

Dan, I recommend you get one, it changes the whole feel of the car.
Paul, I know your gonna love it.
Old 8/14/06, 09:55 AM
GT Member

Just went out to get my code to place an order and what a pain in the ***** that is. Sticker on the door is long gone so I had to get under the kick panel. Luckily the guy that sits next to me used to install car stereos and got it off and on for me in 5 minutes. I would have been there for an hour.
Old 8/14/06, 01:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah, it is a real pain, without a doubt!

Hey Miserable, you're from Aston? I grew up in Wallingford. Man, the last time I was down there, they were building like crazy!
Old 8/14/06, 02:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

So I got my tuner today....I hooked it up, installed the 87 Performance tune and took it for a test drive...

Not good.

I'm getting alot of knocking during acceleration and when I'm stopped it almost seems like I'm going to stall for a second.

I'm thinking it might just be the gas though...I bought 87 octane at the local Shell station, but I think they are allowed to carry off brand 87 Octane. I'm going to burn this fuel off, reflash with the 91 Torque tune and see what happens.

I've got a call into Doug as well to see what he thinks.
Old 8/14/06, 03:37 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by PaulF
Yeah, it is a real pain, without a doubt!

Hey Miserable, you're from Aston? I grew up in Wallingford. Man, the last time I was down there, they were building like crazy!
Yup, grew up in South Philly and the wife grew up in West Chester so we kind of spit the difference. They are building like crazy around here, traffic is really starting to become a mess. We're looking into moving a little further west to get away from some of it. At least until they start developing like crazy there as well.
Old 8/14/06, 04:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

So I got my tuner today....I hooked it up, installed the 87 Performance tune and took it for a test drive...

Not good.

I'm getting alot of knocking during acceleration and when I'm stopped it almost seems like I'm going to stall for a second.

I'm thinking it might just be the gas though...I bought 87 octane at the local Shell station, but I think they are allowed to carry off brand 87 Octane. I'm going to burn this fuel off, reflash with the 91 Torque tune and see what happens.

Shell shouldnt have off-brand gas. Its a reputable company and I get almost all my gas from Shell and Ive never had a problem (albeit with just the stock tune). It sounds as if Doug's tune advanced the timing a little too much. I'd definitely talk to him about that.
Old 8/14/06, 04:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

West, like past the Granite Run Mall?

You wouldn't have to worry too much about development out there, I don't think....there's some fairly wealthy people out there and I'd doubt they'd sub-divide the land.

Real pretty area too, if I remember correctly.
Old 8/14/06, 06:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Not good.

Quick update....

I talked to Doug tonight and now I know why everyone loves BamaChips.
He's going to work with me on the 87 tune and make sure everything is running smoothly (pun intended) and sent me another tune to try. I think I had it before I hung up the phone with him.

Doug kicks ***!
Old 8/14/06, 06:48 PM
GT Member

West, like past the Granite Run Mall?

You wouldn't have to worry too much about development out there, I don't think....there's some fairly wealthy people out there and I'd doubt they'd sub-divide the land.

Real pretty area too, if I remember correctly.
Yup, way past. Western part of Chester County, areas like Avondale and Oxford. Lots of land out there and not much congestion.
Old 8/15/06, 09:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

So I got my new 87 Performance tune in the car today....

Woooohoooo! MUCH better!

Doug's going to resend my 89 and 91 Torq tunes and I'm almost outta gas, so I'll be re-flashing the computer to the 91 Torq when I get it.

I read it once somewhere on here and now I understand....if the 87 Performance tune is this good, the 91 Torq tune is a ticket waiting to happen! And I can't wait!
Old 8/15/06, 07:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Say hello to your new car Paul!
It is the biggest improvement and the results are instant. You are right it is a ticket waiting to happen. Keep your foot near that brake pedal in traffic though. I have almost goosed it a few times today while following people and forgeting the new throttle response.
Find a quiet road and run the test I ran.
0-60 stock then 0-60 91 torque. I didnt time but you can tell the difference. 4000rpm before you know it.
Old 8/19/06, 04:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Doug is the man, and now he has his own portable dyno!! And he is practically my neighbor! We are going to set the Dyno up in the cul-da-sac next to my house and tune the SC Harley Davidson F 150 and the SVT Focus....I don't think the neighbors will mind!!
Old 8/28/06, 06:43 PM
Bullitt Member

I dont mean to steal ur thread but i dont feel like posting another, so i was wondering where in the car is this port at to do this awsomeness? This might be a nice present, hint hint.
Old 8/28/06, 09:19 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
The ODBII port is under the driver side dash.
Old 8/29/06, 11:33 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
how much hp gains are these tuners good for?
Old 8/29/06, 06:54 PM
Bullitt Member

I'll take a peak when this 3 in rain stops.. arghhh. atleast we need it.

Quick Reply: X-Cal 2 Tunes