SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Wheels on 94 Mustang/Cobra inquriy

Search this Thread

Old 7/15/07, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheels on 94 Mustang/Cobra inquriy

I'm looking for input from anyone who owns or knows someone whos has had a problem with the Aluminum wheels on the 94 Ford Cobra Indy Pace car or 94 Ford Mustang in general. The car in refrence the owner has had since new, always garaged and about 8 yrs later some kind of osmosis probelm with heavy oxidation occurred which spread deep into the wheel(like a disease) The owner had sent the wheels to a very reputalbe wheel shop where they were blasted, straightened, polished, argent repainted and clearcoated at the cost of $250 per wheel. Now four years later the same problem has recurred. Has anyone else ever experienced this problem and has some sort of solution. Also if anyone has info on where the wheels were manufactured would be appreciated.
Old 7/16/07, 07:55 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
straightened?! were they bent?

Its probably oxidiation (sp?). Maybe some degreaser or something was used on them at one point and it ate teh clear coating off. I honestly dont have any ideas on how to fix, but maybe check with a different wheel shop as obviously the first one didnt work.

If thye were bent, i'd go ahead and replace personally.
Old 7/24/07, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scott, Sorry I did'nt reply back sooner,been pretty busy.
Anyway to clarify the first inquiry, the 94 Cobra Indy Pace Car wheels, they were made special only for that model/car. The problem is not a simple one as the alumium itself is bleeding thru the clearcoat in small areas with "blobs" about the size of a fingernail. The Oxidation can be removed easily with a fimple fine wire brush. I have already checked the availablity, my source has informed me Ford has about 20 sets of 4 of these unique wheels at dealer cost of about $400ea. (anybody is welcome to verify this) BTW, the wheels are not bent/beat, they are 100% true.
I thank you for your prevoius reply.
Old 7/24/07, 06:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Could you post pictures? I still don't quite understand what you are describing. I would also suggest replacing the wheels as well. It definitely wouldn't be good to drive in said condition.