SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

WHAT SHOULD MY NEXT MOD BE??

Search this Thread

Old 7/10/13, 12:55 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WHAT SHOULD MY NEXT MOD BE??

So i have the BAMA tuner and just did a tune up. So the next options I have looked at are -1. GEARS 355. 2. Cold air intake. 3. CAT back exhaust.

I'm looking to spend under 400.00 bucks though so that limits me a bit. I was hoping to get some advice on what would be the best next step. Its a daily driver. Other options may be- headers or Throttle body. I live in SoCal so the x pipe is out.
Old 7/10/13, 02:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
As long as it is running perfect... (Tune up and such) I'd do exhaust. That would be my first mod... then 3.73 gears... then CAI with Throttle body. That'll change the vehicle dynamics nicely! Little more growl and vibration through your seat... then a little more gearing to throw you back in your seat, then an intake and throttle body to let the Mustang finally breath deep!
Old 7/10/13, 04:25 PM
Supporting Vendor

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
I'd actually do the intake first, and then headers. I feel like adding a new intake is a common first performance mod for most people.

-Nick C.
Old 7/10/13, 06:58 PM
JDF
GT Member

Well the only mod that you will feel is the gears. Are you looking for performance or what? The stock intake is a pretty decent intake so it's pretty useless to buy a new one unless you want to clean up the engine bay. My vote is exhaust (magnapacks or stingers would be my choice) unless you plan on installing the gears yourself.
Old 7/11/13, 08:17 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mustangmike1039
So i have the BAMA tuner and just did a tune up. So the next options I have looked at are -1. GEARS 355. 2. Cold air intake. 3. CAT back exhaust.

I'm looking to spend under 400.00 bucks though so that limits me a bit. I was hoping to get some advice on what would be the best next step. Its a daily driver. Other options may be- headers or Throttle body. I live in SoCal so the x pipe is out.
As of now your at the opening stages of modifying your Mustang, so all of these options are great. I would recommend having Gears, Intake and Exhaust on the car at some point in the future! So, the order you do them is really going to be preference.

If you're looking to spend $400, gears are going to be out of the picture with install. Unless you're going to do them yourself or have a friend who will install them for cheap! So I would look into Exhaust or Cold Air intake, they're both going to net a little horsepower, let the car Breath better and make some noise. They'll also pair up really well for the Bama Custom Tune!

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance! Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266.

-Dan
Old 7/11/13, 09:37 AM

Is it a 5speed or auto?? If auto, 4:10 gears are hands down the best bang for your buck, kick in the pants mod.
Old 7/11/13, 11:20 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by witwicky01
Is it a 5speed or auto?? If auto, 4:10 gears are hands down the best bang for your buck, kick in the pants mod.
It's an automatic. I have heard the gears will really wake the car up but I won't be doing install so I think they are a bit out if budget-I agree the stock air box is pretty good. I may just drop a k&n in the stock box. The exhaust seems to be a good choice. They are all a little pricey but not to bad. I have always liked flowmaster but there are some many choices lol-Also what do you guys think a used set of PI heads would cost me??
Old 7/11/13, 02:12 PM

What year is your stang? If non-p.i head, then yes. PI conversion is a great power improvement for little money.
Old 7/11/13, 03:13 PM
V6 Member

1998 GT. I know the heads will make a big diffrence. Not sure if that means cam change as well. The car has 83,000 on it. Not sure if i should tear it apart or make it decent then down the road buy a newer stang and start with the power already there. But if i can find a set that are in good shape for cheap then i will consider it.