SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Stuck driver power seat

Search this Thread

Old 7/24/21 | 12:10 PM

Stuck driver power seat

Hello, another issue with my 95 convertible mustang. I need to remove the driver seat to replace some motors, but the seat is pushed all the way back and while the switch to move the seat works, the seat doesn’t move to expose the nuts in the back. How do I manually get the seat to move without breaking the frame?
Old 7/25/21 | 11:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

You don't. If you try to override the gearing that's holding the seat, you'll break the thing.

You can remove the actual seat from the seat frame. There's four 10mm bolts that hold the seat to the frame (yes, that's all. That and maybe a dowel or two. Scary to think about, so don't. ) They aren't going to be fun (especially the rear inner one, for sure), but you can get to them all, or should be able to. One at each corner. You'll see 'em.

Take those out, remove the actual seat (reminder about cabling disconnecting goes here) and then you can either figure out how to manipulate the seat frame mechanisms from there to get the frame to move enough to get those rear two bolts out.

It's not elegant, but it'll work, and it's pretty much it, besides a dremel, jackhammer or cuttin' torch. Personally, I'd like to see the jackhammer version, but that's probably asking a bit much.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

/Ooh, maybe some C4. Yeah. Nothin' like usin' a 4th gen Corvette to extract a Mustang seat.... wait...

The following users liked this post:
GuyInABlueShirt (7/25/21)
Old 7/25/21 | 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by houtex
You don't. If you try to override the gearing that's holding the seat, you'll break the thing.

You can remove the actual seat from the seat frame. There's four 10mm bolts that hold the seat to the frame (yes, that's all. That and maybe a dowel or two. Scary to think about, so don't. ) They aren't going to be fun (especially the rear inner one, for sure), but you can get to them all, or should be able to. One at each corner. You'll see 'em.

Take those out, remove the actual seat (reminder about cabling disconnecting goes here) and then you can either figure out how to manipulate the seat frame mechanisms from there to get the frame to move enough to get those rear two bolts out.

It's not elegant, but it'll work, and it's pretty much it, besides a dremel, jackhammer or cuttin' torch. Personally, I'd like to see the jackhammer version, but that's probably asking a bit much.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

/Ooh, maybe some C4. Yeah. Nothin' like usin' a 4th gen Corvette to extract a Mustang seat.... wait...

Thanks for info!! I destroyed the original driver side one, but I managed to get one from the junkyard and did little to no damage on that one. Just finished washing the new cloth seats since the leather ones it had were ripped (well, the driver side was. Passenger is good). Tomorrow I’m going to mess with the sensor and hope the one I got from the junkyard works (press x to doubt), and if not, order a new one.