SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Sputtering at 2000 RPM?

Search this Thread

Old 10/9/07, 05:36 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sputtering at 2000 RPM?

I was coming home from work yesterday and without warning after I got off the highway near my house, the car started breaking up at 2K. The RPMs would jump down and the car would bog really bad then pick back up and run fine into the higher RPMs. Once I got it home, it started right up and wouldn't sputter in park when I revved it up.

I pulled code P0190 from my xcal which is Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit Malfunction.

Anyone have an idea what could be the issue?

My father in law is going to try to fix it tonight but I'm in a time crunch because I'm leaving for a trip in a couple of days so I wanted to get all the parts needed beforehand so we didn't waste any time. He thinks it’s the fuel pump going.

TIA
Old 10/9/07, 08:29 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
injectors?
Old 10/9/07, 09:09 AM
GT Member

Maybe. They're do for a cleaning. I believe that's where were starting tonight since he doesn't want to drop the gas tank in the driveway. I'm also going to pick up a new fuel filter and change that.
Old 10/9/07, 09:21 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
fuel filter is also a very good idea.
Old 10/9/07, 10:05 AM
GT Member

Hopefully I get this fixed tonight. Need the car tomorrow, can only work from home for so long.
Old 10/9/07, 04:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I was hoping you'd have a 5.0 since mine has been notorious for doing the same thing... one of the many symptoms. It only does that for a couple passes though, and then if I rev it up again it goes all the way through without problem. Maybe something different?

I got my codes and all they told me was that my coolant temperature is below -40 degrees... In bright sunny California, I doubt that sensor is alright...

Can I assume the same? Should I try a fuel pump and check fuel pressure sensor?
Old 10/9/07, 04:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well if you temp. sensor is saying the temp. is that cold, the engine may be running way rich. It may be running like it would if it actually was that cold.
Old 10/9/07, 09:49 PM

Never even thought about it that way. I'll check it out.
Old 10/10/07, 07:20 AM
GT Member

Looked around for a bit last night. Used the port scanner from the F-I-L's shop and got the same code I got off of the Xcal. He also used a scanner on the fuel pump but couldn't get a good reading on it due to an issue with the scanner. Did a flow test and doesn't look like the filter is clogged but the first bit of gas that came out was discolored so he thinks that there may be something wrong with the gas itself or something in the tank.

It's running now and not dropping the RPMs but it is running a little rough. The plan for now is to give him the car while I'm away so he can really go over it. He still thinks the fuel pump is the culprit though.
Old 10/10/07, 10:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 779 Likes on 568 Posts
I thought you could service the pump with out droping the tank?
Old 10/10/07, 12:11 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
I thought you could service the pump with out droping the tank?
Not sure. We were going to lift the car and see last night but it started to rain.
Old 10/10/07, 10:19 PM
V6 Member

My 5.0 does the same thing sputtering at low Rpm especially when it just starts up. i can't decided if its injectors, regulator or pump. the injectors might need cleaned since i had them setting out for about 3 months on a bench waiting to go back in.
Old 10/22/07, 06:28 AM
GT Member

Found it!

Dropped the tank last night to replace the fuel pump since we thought that was the issue. Once we got the tank down and the pump housing out we found the issue:

The filter sock on the housing was pretty clogged but we were able to clean it out really well and reuse it. The real issue was the filter sock on the pump. It looked like a used tea bag and was completely full of sediment. There was also a quarter inch of sediment inside the pump housing. We cleaned that out really well and replaced the pump and filter sock and she's running much better now.

I still have to replace the fuel filter. It was getting late and we didn’t have the fitting tool to disconnect the filter (rigged up the spout off of an old caulk tube to get the tank fitting disconnected) so I’ll have to do that today after I get the tool.

The good thing is there was not really any crap in the tank itself, it looks like whatever was in there got sucked up into the filters.
Old 10/22/07, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by kingC95GT
My 5.0 does the same thing sputtering at low Rpm especially when it just starts up. i can't decided if its injectors, regulator or pump. the injectors might need cleaned since i had them setting out for about 3 months on a bench waiting to go back in.
Let me know what you find out via PM when you find out what's going on please.
Old 10/25/07, 09:01 AM
V6 Member

In my Cobra, at one point it would sputter and misfire and screw up really bad at about 2k-2300 RPM's. I first thought it was the Coil Packs since it was constantly at the same RPM's. Changed them, didn't fix it. Changed the Fuel pump, the relay, fuses, checked the injectors, and zip tied the runner control open....didn't do a THING. Finally the car broke down while I was driving it one day and I got it towed to my b/f's shop since my work week came up...Stupid me, ended up just being the Fuel Filter....

so Long Story Short, change the fuel filter before you do anything else....cheapest repair out of everything......lol
Old 10/25/07, 09:03 AM
V6 Member

wow, I'm stupid...just read that you fixed it

lol Glad you found the problem :thumbsup:
Old 10/25/07, 09:09 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Danielle@UPR
In my Cobra, at one point it would sputter and misfire and screw up really bad at about 2k-2300 RPM's. I first thought it was the Coil Packs since it was constantly at the same RPM's. Changed them, didn't fix it. Changed the Fuel pump, the relay, fuses, checked the injectors, and zip tied the runner control open....didn't do a THING. Finally the car broke down while I was driving it one day and I got it towed to my b/f's shop since my work week came up...Stupid me, ended up just being the Fuel Filter....

so Long Story Short, change the fuel filter before you do anything else....cheapest repair out of everything......lol
Yeah filter was first on my list but this was the 3rd time I've had isolated issues so we thought it was a sign of the pump going and took it as an opportunity to upgrade. I actually wasn't sure about the pump until we pulled it and then we pretty much knew what the issue was.
Old 10/25/07, 09:48 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Miserable
Yeah filter was first on my list but this was the 3rd time I've had isolated issues so we thought it was a sign of the pump going and took it as an opportunity to upgrade. I actually wasn't sure about the pump until we pulled it and then we pretty much knew what the issue was.

gotcha

yea I'm glad I changed my pump because from the filter being so clogged it started to burn it out (walbro 255 in tank) luckily it was warrantied lol so I didn't have to pay for it
Old 11/5/07, 06:31 AM
GT Member

Forgot to mention I finally changed the filter, almost completely clogged up. I really don't know how the car got any gas with all of the crap in the fuel system.

Everything seems to be great now, I put new pads and rotors on the front this weekend so I shouldn't have anything but oil changes to worry about for a while.
Old 11/7/07, 10:21 PM

Knock on wood! Haha. I wish I could even just assume something like that.

Quick Reply: Sputtering at 2000 RPM?