SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Should I Do It?

Search this Thread

Old 10/2/12, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I Do It?

Hey guys, I am getting my car painted soon and I want to get it black. Found a great deal. However, the door jambs take it up another $300+. I want to know if I should go about trying to paint the door jambs myself with some black automotive spray paint. Does anyone out there have any wisdom on this?

If you do, let me know ASAP. I need to get my supplies ready!!!
Old 10/2/12, 09:47 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by devanslive
Hey guys, I am getting my car painted soon and I want to get it black. Found a great deal. However, the door jambs take it up another $300+. I want to know if I should go about trying to paint the door jambs myself with some black automotive spray paint. Does anyone out there have any wisdom on this?

If you do, let me know ASAP. I need to get my supplies ready!!!

no, pay the xtra. spray bomb is okay for some stuff but imo you will regret it unless you have really good skills be even then.....
Old 10/2/12, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by skunk21
no, pay the xtra. spray bomb is okay for some stuff but imo you will regret it unless you have really good skills be even then.....
Really? Even on the door jambs? It looks simple enough, but you think I should stay for away from the DIY of the door jambs?
Old 10/2/12, 10:10 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Pay the extra money. Black is a extremely hard color to get right.
Old 10/2/12, 10:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
over spray is tough to control. Also 90 percent of a good paint job is in the prep. If you take your time and tape everything off I would say go for it but I would also say its probably worth the extra 300 bucks to have it done.
Old 10/2/12, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn
over spray is tough to control. Also 90 percent of a good paint job is in the prep. If you take your time and tape everything off I would say go for it but I would also say its probably worth the extra 300 bucks to have it done.
Hmmm.... I understand what you are saying about black being hard to get right and the $300 being worth it. However, I am trying to just really save the money because I do not have the extra available right now.
Old 10/2/12, 12:11 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Not only that, but the door jams actually get alot more wear and tear than people thing. getting in and out of the car you'll kick and scrape it over time.

I painted my own car a few years back and the door jams are one of the most worn, flaky and chipped areas on it.

HOWEVER, it all depends on whats most important to you. dollas or fit and finish lol

either way, good luck