SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Rear Suspension Questions

Search this Thread

Old 9/10/09 | 12:38 AM

Rear Suspension Questions

Long post, so please bear with me.

1.) So I went outside today, and thought to myself "my car looks higher on the passenger side than the driver side. So I broke out the measuring tape.

Front Left.

Front Right.

Rear Left.

Rear Right.

The rear right is an inch taller than the rest, and the others are just about the same within a quarter inch.

Is this strange to anyone else? Trunk was empty. I would have thought that the rear would be higher than the front, and never would have guessed an inch different side to side in the rear.

2) I am looking at rear control arms, and even talked to MM about them, and they said that they would suggest a urethane chassis link, and a spherical end on the axle side. I'm now asking you guys what you think would be the best route. I've never been to the track, but if I ever went, I'd rather turn than go 15 seconds in a straight line. It's daily driven. And last but not least, I'm young, and my spine can take the abuse, as long as it doesn't hurt my car.

3) I want to run either a traclink or a Torque Arm, and the only one I can find for my car that can be run without subframe connectors is the Griggs piece. So I'm left with two choices. Eventually buy that piece (at a very nice premium since it's the only thing on the market of its kind) or figure out a way to modify my exhaust, or subframe connectors to share some space together. I'm up for ideas, helpful hints, whatever you've got.

I've seen the Roush pieces, and am not sure even where they mount. Does anyone have pictures of them on a car? If those would work, they would be a worthwhile investment despite not having the highest customer rating.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by future9er24; 9/11/09 at 10:40 AM. Reason: peter sucks at words
Old 9/10/09 | 06:39 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

What type of springs do you have and how long have you had them?
Old 9/10/09 | 07:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

My 04 sits higher on the right rear as well. Interested in what you find out.

Question... Why would you need to modify your exhaust to run subframes? (side Exhaust?)
Old 9/10/09 | 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by 1999Pony
What type of springs do you have and how long have you had them?
Mach 1 springs front and rear. They have been on there for around 6 months, so I doubt that they haven't settled.
Old 9/10/09 | 07:58 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by jarradasay
My 04 sits higher on the right rear as well. Interested in what you find out.

Question... Why would you need to modify your exhaust to run subframes? (side Exhaust?)
yup, his side exhaust is the issue. they scrape as it is (less than they used to i admit) but if you were to wedge some SFCs in there, they would be even lower.

You could always try and do what this guy did pete

press em a bit around that area. if its done uniformly it probably wont impede flow too badly. but even then, i have a feeling scraping will be happening..
Old 9/11/09 | 12:41 AM

They already have two 180 degree turns in them. I doubt that would impede flow much... I don't know anyone who would do that, especially now with them all welded together... haha. I wonder how much they won't fit... Anyway, the mufflers hang lower than the side pipes themselves, so if anything they will just still scrape...

Those are spintechs, now that I'm actually looking, and they come with the flat spaces on them so they will work with sfc's.

Last edited by cntchds; 9/11/09 at 12:46 AM.
Old 9/11/09 | 12:51 AM
FR500 Member

IMHO, for better handling, subframe connectors are the way to go. Scrape up the cash to have the exhaust outlet pipes redone to clear them. Probably cheaper than getting the "premium" set up that doesn't require SFC's.
Old 9/11/09 | 12:53 AM

SFC's made for side exhaust. Where does the TA attach to the SFCs?

Old 9/11/09 | 01:06 AM
FR500 Member

In the case of the Maximum Motorsports Torque Arm, the SFC attachment is mounted toward the front of the car, near the seat mount reinforcement. Around where the H-pipe attaches to the "intermediate" sections that go into the mufflers. If you have an X-pipe, that will also need to be modified to work.
Old 9/11/09 | 01:30 AM

Nope, I've got the stock H, so that should be good. If this works out, and these SFC's will really work with my exhaust I'd be more than ecstatic. I've been thinking about going from the Borlas to the Spintechs since those supposedly put out a lot more sound. I wonder if Eli still has his...
Old 9/11/09 | 10:40 AM
Post *****

theres a set on CAfords he wants 100 but im sure you could get em for less
Old 9/17/09 | 06:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by future9er24
yup, his side exhaust is the issue. they scrape as it is (less than they used to i admit) but if you were to wedge some SFCs in there, they would be even lower.

You could always try and do what this guy did pete

press em a bit around that area. if its done uniformly it probably wont impede flow too badly. but even then, i have a feeling scraping will be happening..
Dr Gas is the company that made this kit you can order any bend in the oval tubing you want. Plus they make great quality stuff I have their x-pipe and it fit perfectly to my long tubes and cat back
Old 10/11/09 | 11:37 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by cntchds
They already have two 180 degree turns in them. I doubt that would impede flow much... I don't know anyone who would do that, especially now with them all welded together... haha. I wonder how much they won't fit... Anyway, the mufflers hang lower than the side pipes themselves, so if anything they will just still scrape...

Those are spintechs, now that I'm actually looking, and they come with the flat spaces on them so they will work with sfc's.
yes those are spentechs...have the same setup on my 98 Cobra, and yes the have the flat spots in the pipes, and I have the subframe connectors too
Old 10/11/09 | 11:49 AM

How tight do the tips com to the body? I'm running without rocker panels, so I need them to be close.