SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Hopefully someone can get me some answers I have a 95 Mustang GT 5.0 H.O

Search this Thread

Old 6/26/17, 06:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hopefully someone can get me some answers I have a 95 Mustang GT 5.0 H.O

Well I have a 95 Mustang 5.0 GT convertible and I have taken the smog pump and hooked it directly to a large vacuum line directly to my intake manifold and it seems that I have increased horsepower at low RPMs and that the car is quicker out of the hole now I am I just hoping for more performance or is there actually some kind of actual or HP gane the the smog pump does a 25 lb but I do not have a vacuum gauge or boost gauge but I was thinking if it actually is working maybe I can put a smaller pulley on it and run a little more boost from my smog pump
Old 6/26/17, 09:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
First, THIS IS A VERY BAD IDEA. I cannot stress this enough. You are pumping *unfiltered air into your engine*. Yes, there's a screen of sorts to prevent large debris, but... yeah. Not an air filter. This will cause wear or worse, and your engine will die a horrid death. Remove this bypass you did, put the pump pipes back like it was, or just remove the smog pump entirely. There's kits for that.

To answer your actual question, the smog pump is probably not the best way to increase your HP. Besides the whole 'potentially killing your engine' thing.
It's a very small pump, meant only to pump 'clean' O2 ahead of the catalytic converters to burn off whatever unburnt fuel is in the exhaust. The old 5.0 engine is not exactly the cleanest, even though they did so many things to help it be better... the smog pump was the last resort. It's why they don't make those anymore, they're simply not very good at clean emissions running.

The reason you see any increase at all is you are pumping more oxygen into the system, and the engine is compensating. It is a small increase, and yes you DO see/feel it, but again... this is an extremely poor choice in many respects to gain HP.

To that end, you want an actual turbo or supercharger kit, or even nitrous, but as I don't know how many miles/hours are on that engine, it might not be a good idea to try to boost an ol' 5.0 for the gaskets, if nothing else. Possibly rings. Possibly... other things, depending on how much boost you want.

Get a good CAI and bigger exhaust and manifolds. That'll do more for you than that lil' ol smog pump. And be better for you and the car.

Last edited by houtex; 6/26/17 at 09:18 AM.