SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

General A/C question....

Search this Thread

Old 8/20/07 | 03:30 PM

Unhappy General A/C question....

Ok srry ahead of time if in the wrong forums but this is the best place to ask.and before i ask the question i do own a '01 GT,but this is for my wifes truck and since a/c's are mostly the same heres the deal.She has '97 Sonoma and about a week ago the freon ran out,so I recharge it and all was good for a few days then the a/c hose blew a hole and no i did not over charge,i used gauges.So i went and bought new hoses, recharged and added oil.now before recharging the compressor did not kick on,which is right since it was empty,then when charged it kicks on and stays on but it never blows cold air.So did i do something wrong or does it have a bad compressor?

P.S.Yes it does take R-134a.At least thats whats it says on the sticker.
Old 8/20/07 | 08:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by rabidscoobie
Ok srry ahead of time if in the wrong forums but this is the best place to ask.and before i ask the question i do own a '01 GT,but this is for my wifes truck and since a/c's are mostly the same heres the deal.She has '97 Sonoma and about a week ago the freon ran out,so I recharge it and all was good for a few days then the a/c hose blew a hole and no i did not over charge,i used gauges.So i went and bought new hoses, recharged and added oil.now before recharging the compressor did not kick on,which is right since it was empty,then when charged it kicks on and stays on but it never blows cold air.So did i do something wrong or does it have a bad compressor?

P.S.Yes it does take R-134a.At least thats whats it says on the sticker.
did you evacuate the system first??
Old 8/20/07 | 08:37 PM

Well I did not think i would need to since the rubber part of the ac hose blew a hole big enough to stick 1 of those fat pencils into it,and when i put the new hoses on the was no pressure there so i figured it was empty and only needed to be filled.Now when i say empty the gauge red 0 and if i pushed in on the low pressure side nothing came out and there was no sound either.Now in that beieg said did i still need to evacuate the system.

Also,I'm not a mechanical idiot,ive done most all of my own work for many years,just never done more than a recharge when it comes to the a/c.
Old 8/20/07 | 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by CircuitBreaker
did you evacuate the system first??
It has to be done and a vacuum pulled on it when it emptied completely.
Old 8/20/07 | 10:29 PM

ok..thx all for the help.so i need to pull a vacum on it and empty it?then just recharge as normal or anything else special i need to do?maybe some1 could just list out the order i need to correct my mistake?Like i said the only ac stuff i have done is to add r134 to a system that has not gone completly empty before.Basiclly topping it off is all.Thx again.
Old 8/21/07 | 08:52 AM

Just make sure the vacuum holds and there is no more leaks then add the cold stuff. If it was just low you could of just charged it back up but since the system went to 0 you have to bring it to the vacuum state and then re-charge for the best cooling.
Old 8/21/07 | 04:27 PM

Ok thx all.Gonna give it a go.