SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Entire Mustang is vibrating no clue what it could be

Old 2/27/18, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Entire Mustang is vibrating no clue what it could be

Hey all new here, but my 1999 vert 5 spd v6 mustang is just vibrating. Like the entire car is vibrating only increases with increase in rpms, doesn't matter if the clutch is in or disengaged, if I'm in gear or just rolling in neutral. Also doesn't matter if i'm rolling or parked its just vibrating. The vibrations get worse with increased rpms, I know theres not a rod broken or else id hear a dinging noise, which i don't hear. The engine is idling fine and not behaving out of the ordinary in terms of staying at 900rpms at idle and responds when i press the gas and doesn't stutter when its on. I do have two engine codes which are related to air fuel and an air pump of some kind codes are p0174 and p1413. However I don't know if those codes would legitametly cause the entire car to vibrate. Also I know when im coming to a stop the vibrations lessen and almost goes back to normal either that or the vibrations or less noticeable since im rolling and the rpms are low. Any ideas?
Old 2/27/18, 12:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
have you done any work to it recently? before these problems started. If yes what have you done? How many miles are on it? When was the last time you fueled up?
Old 2/27/18, 12:49 PM

ya i replaced the pilot bearing, flywheel, clutch, throw out bearing and transmission. There was nothing wrong with the old parts except for the throw out bearing that was starting to go, and the driver side exhaust manifold flange inst completely mated with the exhaust flange but i dont think it would cause the car to shake
Old 2/27/18, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
have you done any work to it recently? before these problems started. If yes what have you done? How many miles are on it? When was the last time you fueled up?
ya i replaced the pilot bearing, flywheel, clutch, throw out bearing and transmission. There was nothing wrong with the old parts except for the throw out bearing that was starting to go, and the driver side exhaust manifold flange inst completely mated with the exhaust flange but i dont think it would cause the car to shake, cars got 102k miles on it and last time it was fueled up was about 2 weeks ago

Last edited by yousufkhan53; 2/27/18 at 01:08 PM.
Old 2/28/18, 05:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
Originally Posted by yousufkhan53
ya i replaced the pilot bearing, flywheel, clutch, throw out bearing and transmission. There was nothing wrong with the old parts except for the throw out bearing that was starting to go, and the driver side exhaust manifold flange inst completely mated with the exhaust flange but i dont think it would cause the car to shake
with all new parts? A flywheel out of balance could cause a vibration
Old 2/28/18, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
with all new parts? A flywheel out of balance could cause a vibration
I got an oem flywheel, pilot bearing, clutch disk and pressure plate from ford, however do you think a bad pilot bearing could cause this? Only reason I'm asking is because the inner bit of the pilot bearing went in when i hammered it in then I took it out with a slide hammer and made it flush again. Its still solid and almost impossible to spin or pull out by hand but could that cause it? or a flywheel that wasn't torqued down properly?
Old 3/16/18, 01:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Improperly torqued flywheel makes more sense for your description than a bad pilot bearing since it will spin with the engine whether the clutch is in or out. If it were the pilot bearing, it should only spin if the clutch is engaged (pedal out), even when the car is in neutral. How did you torque down the flywheel?

My whole car shook once... when it dropped a rod.