SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Convert. question?

Search this Thread

Old 9/14/05, 01:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright, I'll get straight to the point. My car is alittle more than 5 years old, and I need to replace the convertible top now. The stiching near the back window is starting to come undone, possibably from being dryrotted or just being old. I called up an apolstery shop and they said it's not fixable and it'll cost close to $700.

I have 3 questions:

1. Is it really unfixable?

2. Is this a common problem for a 5 year old car?

3. Will this happen again in the lifetime of the car? (which will be min. 3 years)
Old 9/14/05, 11:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by DrunkenDragon713@September 14, 2005, 1:03 PM
Alright, I'll get straight to the point. My car is alittle more than 5 years old, and I need to replace the convertible top now. The stiching near the back window is starting to come undone, possibably from being dryrotted or just being old. I called up an apolstery shop and they said it's not fixable and it'll cost close to $700.

I have 3 questions:

1. Is it really unfixable?

2. Is this a common problem for a 5 year old car?

3. Will this happen again in the lifetime of the car? (which will be min. 3 years)
Wow, buddy good to see you're doing ok....bein from the NO area.

It's always good to get a 2nd opinion, see if there's a Mustang club in your area. They might know of some Stang shops that are more familar with your car.

As far as 5 yrs......that sounds a little short. Are you still under the Ford warranty?
Old 9/15/05, 12:20 AM
V6 Member

What do they do for $700:

o if it's a complete top relacement (parts included) that's rather cheap
o if they just cut the window and sew a new one over, it's kind of expensive (unless the window itself is around $400)

I had the cutting/re-sewing done for $250 on a Miata (plastic window, so consider the part cost to be null) .

For Miata I found complete do-it-yourself convertibe tops (w/ defroster glass window) online for about $500. Shop quoted me $1000 for the same. I'd expect the same things would exist for a Mustang.

Sorry I'm not answering any of your questions, I just thought this might help.

http://www.convertibletops.com/mustang.html

http://www.duettomotors.com/
Old 9/15/05, 12:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wow, buddy good to see you're doing ok....bein from the NO area.
Hehe, thanks for the concern. My wife and I are in a hotel near Dallas for the time being.

I'm not sure if there are any Stang clubs in the area, don't even know how to find out either cept asking here...

They said that my soft-top is a 2 piecer, the piece they have to replace will cost just under $700 for parts and labor. I'm thinking that it'll be better just to replace the whole darn thing...
Old 9/16/05, 05:45 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
50resto.com price the entire conv top inc the glass at $369.95, the rear glass kit (you cannot just replace the area around the glass) is priced at $165 without defroster and $199 with.

If they are replacing the whole top, they are charging $330 to fit it. If they are just replacing the glass and surround they are charging $500 which seems a bit steep! Hope this helps Pat.

J
Old 9/17/05, 01:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

If I buy the entire top, would I be able to install it myself or would I have to get a pro-install?

Thanks for the help James.

-Pat
Old 9/18/05, 09:28 AM

Pat,

My 96 is also starting to show wear like yours and I'm planning to swap it out next year before the summer. Is your top just now starting to fray? Besides the area around the rear window and the quarter windows, you may want to go a bit longer before you swap it unless it's starting to tear on the actual top now. I've just been using black shoe polish to cover the affected areas. But once the canvas starts to fray I don't think it can be repaired.

If you'd rather change it now, I wuould suggest an actual body or upholstery shop do it just because of the time and tools. You'll need and uholstery stapler and an extra set of hands to stretch the new top. It takes a shop roughly 8-10 hours to change a top so giving yourself a weekend would probably give you enough time.

The price quoted you sounds pretty fair. The shop here told me $500-600 which includes parts and labor. As for happening again, that's the price of owning a 'vert, any 'vert. The top goes up and down and the fabric is stretched and contracted because ot it. Still, this is my 4th Mustang convertible and have enjoyed every year of it. $500-700 every 10 years isn't as bad as it might seem. Every spring and summer proves it when I hear, 'I wish I had a convertible."

Hope this answers your questions,

Eric
Old 9/19/05, 01:39 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Pat,

The website says that it is not really a job for the uninitiated. They also state 2 days to do it. Personally, I would get a shop to do it, but then I am not particularly good with my hands.

Just as an aside, as they say, prevention is better than cure. Something I was told by an old hand when I got my vert was this : Never put the roof down when the roof is cold. The plastic is more brittle when cold, and more prone to stress (leading to the tearing you are experiencing). He told me to move the car into the sun and let the plastic warm up (helps if you have a black roof!). the plastic gets really supple and it is easier for the roof to stretch. it seems to have helped my car, there are not even any signs of wear yet.

James