SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Control Arm Upgrade Question

Search this Thread

Old 1/28/10, 08:41 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Control Arm Upgrade Question

So as I posted before, I am upgrading my rear end and suspension. The plan for the car is to mostly be a track car but I don’t want to go all out since I want to drive it on the street from time to time and I want to drive it to the track instead of having to deal with trailering it.
The rear set up is FR 4:30 gears, strange 31 spline axles, and FR Limited Slip Differential running on a pair of 275/40R17 MT ET Streets on an old pair of rims.
Also going to weld up the torque boxes, install sub frame connectors and a drive shaft loop while the car is in the air.

Control Arms:

While removing the rear, I found that the rear end bolts connected to the stock LCAs are pretty much fused to the rubber bushing and it doesn’t look like there will be a happy ending here for either the bolts or the bushings forcing me to upgrade the LCAs sooner rather than later.

I’ve been studying up on control arms and I’m pretty much set on a pair of Maximum Motor Sports non adjustable arms. Problem is that I can’t decide between the heavy duty version with poly bushings on the chassis and spherical on the rear or the extreme duty version with spherical all around.
My main snag is that I want to keep costs down a bit and go with the HDs but I’m concerned that the poly bushings are gonna get toasted at the track. I’m also mildly concerned about noise and ride quality on the street going all spherical but I could live with that if need be.

Anyone have any experience with either or opinions?
Old 1/28/10, 09:42 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The ploy's will definently help with ride quality on the street. It really depends on which one you are going to be doing more often. The poly's would probably hold up at the track for a good while and the sphericals would last even longer but you would give up ride quality. If you are doing alot of street driving, I would go with the normal HD's.
Old 1/28/10, 10:34 AM
GT Member

Thanks. Probably going to spend more time at the track then on the street at this point.
Old 2/2/10, 08:28 AM
GT Member

Go with the MM Severe Duty arms. Recommended for dragstrip use. I have them on my Bullitt and they work great. They do transmit a little more rear end noise to the driver's compartment,but it isn't that bad.
Old 2/2/10, 05:21 PM
Bullitt Member

I have the MM HDs with the 3-piece polys on the chassis end. Occasional track use. I'm happy with them. I would have got sphericals on both ends but picked these up cheap and my stock stall Auto doesn't jerk the driveline like a 5 speed.
The XDs will transmit more chassis noise and vibration.
Old 2/3/10, 06:59 AM
GT Member

Am I really going to notice the additional noise with the aftermarket exhaust and no cats? The car is pretty loud.
Old 2/4/10, 11:21 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Miserable
Am I really going to notice the additional noise with the aftermarket exhaust and no cats? The car is pretty loud.
A slight whine from the rear and a little light clunk now and then,probably from the tranny.
Remember there is no rubber to soak up any normal mechanical sounds.
I have the MAC mufflers on my Bullitt,so you know how loud that can be!
The car just feels much tighter,in suspension action,with those arms.
Plus,from this picture,they seem to launch the car very well!
That's with the stock Bullitt struts and rear shocks,and 1 Air Lift bag in right rear spring.
Attached Thumbnails Control Arm Upgrade Question-bullitt-gets-air.......march-07-2009.jpg  

Last edited by Mus408; 2/4/10 at 11:23 AM.