SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Cobra swap

Search this Thread

Old 8/22/11, 06:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobra swap

Ey does anyone know how easy it is to drop a cobra 4v engine into an 02 gt? I really want to do the swap, along with a new transmission. Any advice would be great!
Old 8/22/11, 10:34 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
it's not too difficult, they're the same base car. You'll need the computer stuff that goes with it probably, and motor mounts and whatnot. There may be a writeup on the internet somewhere.

I will warn you, those motors are getting unbelieveably expensive.
Old 8/23/11, 02:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The mounts are the same. I would say that to do it right there is a lot more than just the motor. The harness should be swapped, the fuel system upgraded, clutch upgraded, computer swapped. That's all I can think of at the moment, but that's itself is going to be tedious and expensive to pick up.

are you wanting an 03-04 or 99/01 Cobra 03/04 Mach?
Old 8/23/11, 03:48 AM
My C/T is cooler than Arin is.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I did a similar swap with a mark viii 4v, the motor is similar to the cobra, and alot cheaper.
Old 8/23/11, 06:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cntchds
The mounts are the same. I would say that to do it right there is a lot more than just the motor. The harness should be swapped, the fuel system upgraded, clutch upgraded, computer swapped. That's all I can think of at the moment, but that's itself is going to be tedious and expensive to pick up.

are you wanting an 03-04 or 99/01 Cobra 03/04 Mach?
03-04 Cobra. Ive always wanted a cobra but my gt is all i could find for the amout of cash i had at the time. So now im just gonna do a motor and tranny swap.
Old 8/26/11, 09:26 PM
GT Member

The time I thought about doing this I did a little research. The cheapest thing i found withh less than 25k on it was, i think found a 04 cobra motor and tranny for 11k! Not including all the other things stated from above that you will have to do. In the long run IMO if your not doing all the work yourself and getting a steal on parts it's gonna cost you just as much as actually selling your car and going and getting an actual cobra. The problem with that is even finding one that has not been used and abused more times than a pinp pong ball in a six month long Chinese pinp pong championship. It's not impossible , might wanna grab a snickers, because it might take a while. :-) , but if you do still do it, good luck and post some pics!
Old 8/27/11, 05:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Quicksilver-4.6
The time I thought about doing this I did a little research. The cheapest thing i found withh less than 25k on it was, i think found a 04 cobra motor and tranny for 11k! Not including all the other things stated from above that you will have to do. In the long run IMO if your not doing all the work yourself and getting a steal on parts it's gonna cost you just as much as actually selling your car and going and getting an actual cobra. The problem with that is even finding one that has not been used and abused more times than a pinp pong ball in a six month long Chinese pinp pong championship. It's not impossible , might wanna grab a snickers, because it might take a while. :-) , but if you do still do it, good luck and post some pics!
Haha yea well im takin an automotive class at a community college in town while taking full classes at TAMUCC and one guy knows of a totaled cobra in a small city bout an hour away. Frames too banged up (racing accident) but the engine, tranny, computer, and evrything i would need are all intact! The guy who owns the junkyard is stingy with pricing though. He said he wants 16k for everything! Ill be doing the work myself though with the help of classmates amd friends so 17-17.5k is all that id be spending. Its so tempting!
Old 8/27/11, 10:39 AM
GT Member

17k is a lot of dough to do a swap. For another two grand you could just have this one.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...6#ht_500wt_948

Or.... If you really wanna just go ***** deep.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...#ht_1355wt_948

Either way, you will still just have a cobra clone, not saying that it negative terms, when you could just opt for the real thing for a little more investment. It would be a sweet project though. I've seen the engine and tranny for around 11k so 16k IMO is a little high. How many miles was on it before the total? Any mods done to it?
Old 8/27/11, 10:55 AM
Bullitt Member

17k is a lot of dough to do a swap. For another two grand you could just have this one.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...6#ht_500wt_948

Or.... If you really wanna just go ***** deep.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...#ht_1355wt_948

Either way, you will still just have a cobra clone, not saying that it negative terms, when you could just opt for the real thing for a little more investment. It would be a sweet project though. I've seen the engine and tranny for around 11k so 16k IMO is a little high. How many miles was on it before the total? Any mods done to it?
20k with a whipple blower! And i think new cams. Plus im not feelin those flames or the convertible roof/:

Last edited by Pinoy361; 8/27/11 at 10:57 AM.
Old 8/27/11, 08:47 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Pinoy361

20k with a whipple blower! And i think new cams. Plus im not feelin those flames or the convertible roof/:
Yeah the flames are not my cup of tea either, I have a vert myself, I love it but it's not for everyone.

Just wanted to let you know you have some options, but if I had the money. Would do it to if I still owed money on the car in question. How much can you just get the whole car for and use everything you can, might come out a little cheaper.

Last edited by Quicksilver-4.6; 8/27/11 at 08:52 PM.
Old 8/27/11, 10:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah the flames are not my cup of tea either, I have a vert myself, I love it but it's not for everyone.

Just wanted to let you know you have some options, but if I had the money. Would do it to if I still owed money on the car in question. How much can you just get the whole car for and use everything you can, might come out a little cheaper.
Well i have a 20k budget but there arent too many cobras for sale in my area. I dont wanna have to drive 300 miles just to get the car
Old 8/28/11, 08:50 AM
GT Member

Well i have a 20k budget but there arent too many cobras for sale in my area. I dont wanna have to drive 300 miles just to get the car
Sounds like you a have a new project on your hands.
Old 8/28/11, 02:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Sounds like you a have a new project on your hands.
Yep. Now gotta find parts and the time.
College and sports are a real PITA
Old 8/28/11, 03:05 PM

Are you definitely wanting a termi? You can pick up a 97-98 mark 8 motor for less than a grand, and then use the rest of your budget to build the hell out of it.

Yep. Now gotta find parts and the time.
College and sports are a real PITA
Old 8/28/11, 03:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Autotooner
Are you definitely wanting a termi? You can pick up a 97-98 mark 8 motor for less than a grand, and then use the rest of your budget to build the hell out of it.
Yea, long term goal is a cobra clone since the terminator is my favorite mustang of all time so i want to try gettin it as close to the real thing as i can. Not sure about the IRS though, i dont want to have to get rid of my current set-up
Old 8/28/11, 05:47 PM

I see. I put the mark 8 motor in my 96 Gt. Would love to do the IRS swap as well. Keep us updated on your progress.
Old 8/28/11, 06:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I honestly think the best option for you would be a tork tech kit to put a Cobra blower on your 2v.Then grab an IRS, and a T56, and you have a 400 rwhp GT Cobra Clone for less than 10k. Even build that IRS, and you are way under your budget.
Old 8/28/11, 09:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cntchds
I honestly think the best option for you would be a tork tech kit to put a Cobra blower on your 2v.Then grab an IRS, and a T56, and you have a 400 rwhp GT Cobra Clone for less than 10k. Even build that IRS, and you are way under your budget.
This is true... Arent 2v's tourqier than 4v's?
Old 8/28/11, 09:57 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
honestly, if you dont wanna go 300 miles to get one (I traveled 2200 miles roundtrip for mine), you don't want one bad enough. The swap is going to be a pain, especially with your school stuff. It's going to take a while, and almost none of these projects go off without a hitch.

If all you want is a Terminator clone, it'd be better just to get an actual one.
Old 8/28/11, 11:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by StangMahn
honestly, if you dont wanna go 300 miles to get one (I traveled 2200 miles roundtrip for mine), you don't want one bad enough. The swap is going to be a pain, especially with your school stuff. It's going to take a while, and almost none of these projects go off without a hitch.

If all you want is a Terminator clone, it'd be better just to get an actual one.
Well i want one bad enough to take the drive but thinking realistically with so much goin on i just would have enough time for a long trip. The KB kit for my 2v is seeming more of a possibility now

Quick Reply: Cobra swap