SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

2003 mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 4/27/22, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 mustang GT

I recently bought a 2003 mustang it was running fine before but from few days am feeling clutch is not letting the car to go freely like its not engaging properly
and its not running like as it should be. Like no acceleration
does anyone knows the problem and solution.. ?
Old 4/27/22, 08:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Reminder: This is a *guess* from waaaay over here without any other info but your post, so grains of salt and such, yes? Yes. With that...

If your clutch releases and engages otherwise normally, then the clutch is worn out is what you're experiencing. And yes, they just do this, just quit doing their job. You've probably seen some MPG drop from it as well, and when you swap in the new clutch, the MPGs will come back too, provided the engine isn't worn out or such. Happened to me. 160K miles and the thing nearly fell out in my hands when I got the transmission out.

I'd recommend a new clutch, flywheel and in your case I believe a pivot and throwout bearing are in order.

Also, I'm sure you know this, but just in case, on that car the clutch quadrant is adjustable by pulling up on the pedal, then pressing back down. If the quadrant is fully out, the cable is stretched and it's time for a new one OR the clutch is completely gone and you need a new one of those, as mentioned above. The quadrant itself could also be messed up/worn out and need replacing as it won't fully grab the cable/pawls any more and might cause this issue.

You may need a mechanic to properly diagnose this problem if you don't know/don't want to/? Understandable, clutch jobs aren't for everyone. Mine was a nightmare but now I know and it won't be that bad next time.

Hope that helps, and if I'm wrong, hey, I'm in an armchair at a computer, so it's possible and that's ok.