05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Wiring up some gauges...

Search this Thread

Old 7/14/08, 02:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring up some gauges...

To complete my nitrous install I will be hooking up some Auto Meter c2 series gauges. I had these in my old Mustang and remember they need a ground, 12v (of course), and illumination. Where is the best place to tap into for a power source and illumination? Pictures are greatly appreciated!
Old 7/14/08, 06:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is for hooking up for crank / run power .
Under the dash on the drivers side is a blue/white switch.
The switch has two wires going to it,one solid red wire and a light blue /with red tracer, you will need to conect it to the solid red wire, use a blue Scotch lock crimp, you'll have to lie on your back and use one hand to conect the Scotch lock and your other one to crimp it. here's pics of what the Scotch lock looks like, just remember the pic on the left is just an example of what the lock looks like( but not the right switch)The pic in the middle is the correct switch.

Fas as for the lights,I hooked up to the light switch( but I can't remember which wire I tapped to.lol
Attached Thumbnails Wiring up some gauges...-autometer-030.jpg   Wiring up some gauges...-autometer-047.jpg   Wiring up some gauges...-p4200040.jpg  
Old 7/14/08, 06:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by flamin ponyexpress
This is for hooking up for crank / run power .
Under the dash on the drivers side is a blue/white switch.
The switch has two wires going to it,one solid red wire and a light blue /with red tracer, you will need to conect it to the solid red wire, use a blue Scotch lock crimp, you'll have to lie on your back and use one hand to conect the Scotch lock and your other one to crimp it. here's pics of what the Scotch lock looks like, just remember the pic on the left is just an example of what the lock looks like( but not the right switch)The pic in the middle is the correct switch.

Fas as for the lights,I hooked up to the light switch( but I can't remember which wire I tapped to.lol
lol thanks for the pictures, even though now I still need to figure out where to hook up for lights.
Old 7/14/08, 08:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

You can always use a test light to find which wire on the light switch to hook it to. Atleast that is what I did.I changed the Cobalt series with Nexus ,with the Nexus I didn't have to use the light switch,so I don't have any pics of which wire I originally used on the light switch.I have the wire still hooked up,it's just caped off.lol
Attached Thumbnails Wiring up some gauges...-autometer-060.jpg  
Old 7/14/08, 09:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Lol sounds good, thanks!
Old 7/16/08, 08:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

there is a black/white wire on the dimmer switch. pop out the headlight/dimmer panel like flamin ponyexpress posted. tap into that black/white wire and ground it behind the driver's side kick panel. there is a bolt there already which has wires grounding to it.

as far as where to tap into power, i used the mini add-a-circuits and wired them to the fuse panel behind the passenger kick panel. one fuse was for my air/fuel meter and the other fuse ran the boost and fuel pressure. the inner fuses in the pic are the ones that were originally in the slot.
Old 7/16/08, 08:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

oh also, the fuse that runs the boost and fuel pressure gauges, it is a 3 amp mini fuse and i have it split to two separate 1 amp glass fuses.
Old 7/17/08, 12:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Sound Wave. Is the black/white wire a illumination wire?
Old 7/17/08, 01:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by sound wave
there is a black/white wire on the dimmer switch. pop out the headlight/dimmer panel like flamin ponyexpress posted. tap into that black/white wire and ground it behind the driver's side kick panel. there is a bolt there already which has wires grounding to it.

as far as where to tap into power, i used the mini add-a-circuits and wired them to the fuse panel behind the passenger kick panel. one fuse was for my air/fuel meter and the other fuse ran the boost and fuel pressure. the inner fuses in the pic are the ones that were originally in the slot.
That would be for the lights,perfect. far as the add a curcuit is a good power source ,it's just you'll have to run wire to passenger side. I chose the switch one ,since it is on the drivers side. either one should work.lol
Old 7/17/08, 04:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 08VistablueGT
Thanks Sound Wave. Is the black/white wire a illumination wire?
yeah, the black/white wire that connects to the dimmer switch will power the lighting of the gauge. it also dims the lighting on the gauge as you turn the dimmer switch. don't use that particular wire to power the gauge itself. hehe.

yeah, flamin ponyexpress's method is a cleaner install, but running the wire to the other side wasn't too bad. i just zip tied my wiring to other existing wires. his way is also cheaper, since you don't have to buy the add-a-circuit.

the thing that i liked with the way i did it, is that you just pop the two kick panels and the lighting switch.
but yeah, both ways work.
Old 7/17/08, 08:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok, two other things. Where is there a solid 12v in the trunk? And, is there a 12v in the center console? I thought I read that there is an unused wiring harness.
Old 7/18/08, 01:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 08VistablueGT
Ok, two other things. Where is there a solid 12v in the trunk? And, is there a 12v in the center console? I thought I read that there is an unused wiring harness.
Why in the trunk? I thought you where hooking up gages,or am I missing something.
The power souce I gave you was for RUN/CRANK only,power will be off when switch is off.

Last edited by flamin ponyexpress; 7/18/08 at 01:19 PM.
Old 7/18/08, 09:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

probably has another project in mind. i don't know about a 12v wire that is always hot in the trunk. i added an additional light bar to illuminate the trunk, but i am not sure what type of wire that was tied into.

the only thing i could maybe help you with is if you decided to run a wire from the passenger fuse panel and run it under the door sill, under the rear seats, and go to the trunk that way. sorry.

Last edited by sound wave; 7/18/08 at 09:16 PM.
Old 7/18/08, 09:31 PM
Bullitt Member

probably has another project in mind. i don't know about a 12v wire that is always hot in the trunk. i added an additional light bar to illuminate the trunk, but i am not sure what type of wire that was tied into.

the only thing i could maybe help you with is if you decided to run a wire from the passenger fuse panel and run it under the door sill, under the rear seats, and go to the trunk that way. sorry.
I need to wire up a BAP. And I also need wire up a remote bottle opener and bottle warmer.
Old 7/18/08, 10:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

here are the instructions for the install of the bap. tacobill does it again!!!!

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=467743
Old 7/19/08, 10:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah, I saw that the other day. One great write up!

Anyway, I'll just run any 12v source to the front of the car. If I tap into a 12v source, how many pieces of equipment can i tap into one 12v without it being "overwhelming?"
Old 7/20/08, 12:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

With the wireing ,i would only wire one to each power source. You'll still have voltage drop with to many hooked to the same circuit.
Old 7/29/08, 05:07 PM
Bullitt Member

So how exactly does a add-a-circuit work? Do you just plug them into empty slots in the fuse box? How do you know which amp fuse to use?
Old 7/30/08, 06:51 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
There will be a set of prongs that plug into the fuse box just as the fuse did. You then plug the original fuse into one of the slots on the add-a-circuit , the instructions will tell you which one and the fuse for the new line into the other slot. As far as amperage , gauges don't draw much so either a 5 or 10 should be OK ...
Old 7/31/08, 09:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 05YellowGT
There will be a set of prongs that plug into the fuse box just as the fuse did. You then plug the original fuse into one of the slots on the add-a-circuit , the instructions will tell you which one and the fuse for the new line into the other slot. As far as amperage , gauges don't draw much so either a 5 or 10 should be OK ...
Awesome! Where is the best place to find these add-a-circuits?

Quick Reply: Wiring up some gauges...