05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Wiring question and help

Search this Thread

Old 1/29/13, 09:37 AM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wiring question and help

Hi guys! I have a 2006 GT. Originally came with the Shaker 500.
Did the following upgrades to the audio:
KW-NT50HDT HUD
Door speakers - Polk db571
Door subs - Kicker - Shelby kit
Rear speakers - stock so far

I just got the following, for a steal:
Rockford Fosgate Punch P400x2
Single 12" box with a 12W3v3-2 sub

So I know the amp can be wired for mono and can add the sub to it since that's how it was previously installed... My only question is where do I get the audio signal from? What other parts would I need? Also... power? I know the + goes from the battery... where would I get the - from? Straight off the chassis or should I look for a different spot?
Old 1/30/13, 11:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The back of the radio will have some pre-out plugs(RCA jacks). Thats where you will get the signal from(run rca cords from the radio to the amp). You will need to buy a 4AWG wiring kit from an audio place. For power(+) you will have to run the 4 AWG wire from the amp straight to the battery. For the Ground(-) You will want to go to bare metal on the chasis(also 4AWG). Most common is the trunk,drill a hole and put a screw in. Do NOT use the mounts for the seats or anything like that.
Old 1/30/13, 12:51 PM
V6 Member

If I remember correctly, the pre-amps are currently used by some of the speakers (might be wrong).
I got an LC2I and was going to follow that guide online of taping into the door subs pre amp . Is that a good way to have it set up?
Old 1/30/13, 01:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Its been a while since I did mine, but if I remeber right it only uses one set of preamps. Most units have at least 2, so you should be able to use another set. If not, you could tap into the door sub preouts.

Also I took a look at some pics of your reciever online and it appears to have a single rca jack for the sub on the back like a surroud sound reciver would. If thats the case you should be able to buy a single to double rca cable and use that one for the signal.
Old 1/31/13, 09:59 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 05PRMTX
Its been a while since I did mine, but if I remeber right it only uses one set of preamps. Most units have at least 2, so you should be able to use another set. If not, you could tap into the door sub preouts.

Also I took a look at some pics of your reciever online and it appears to have a single rca jack for the sub on the back like a surroud sound reciver would. If thats the case you should be able to buy a single to double rca cable and use that one for the signal.
Thanks for the info

I managed to get it set up last night. Mounted amp and LC2i to the back of the box.
I taped in the door sub preouts right before it hits the amp. Pulled the wire to the LC2i. Signal was not strong enough for the LC2i to start up automatically so I pulled the + from the rear right speaker to the remote in port. Hooked up everything to the amp from there and got it working!
Old 2/1/13, 09:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Good deal! Hows it sound?
Old 2/1/13, 02:49 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 05PRMTX
Good deal! Hows it sound?
Sounds pretty darn good Gotta play with the LPF and HPF on the HU and the other settings on the amp, but even without playing much with them, it sounds really good.