05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Window Re-Tint & Ordering MoleSkin

Search this Thread

Old 7/21/06, 05:22 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Window Re-Tint & Ordering MoleSkin

Just to let folks know. The 07's scratch window tint tooooo. After only 2 weeks they are scratched like I can't believe. I'm getting them re-tinted on 7-25, the tint shop is redoing them for free. I also ordered the Auto MoleSkin to put in the wipes. I will post pics of the install & the scrap & retint. THe MoleSkin is being shipped express so I can get it in time to install it when they are doing the retint. THe shop did say that they have tinted "alot" of stangs & have never had a problem with scratching or have the need to use "felt" or "MoleSkin". Here the link to the moleskin site http://www.automoleskin.com/ford.htm

Until next Tuesday
Dale
Old 7/21/06, 05:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by IndyDale
Just to let folks know. The 07's scratch window tint tooooo. After only 2 weeks they are scratched like I can't believe. I'm getting them re-tinted on 7-25, the tint shop is redoing them for free. I also ordered the Auto MoleSkin to put in the wipes. I will post pics of the install & the scrap & retint. THe MoleSkin is being shipped express so I can get it in time to install it when they are doing the retint. THe shop did say that they have tinted "alot" of stangs & have never had a problem with scratching or have the need to use "felt" or "MoleSkin". Here the link to the moleskin site http://www.automoleskin.com/ford.htm

Until next Tuesday
Dale
IndyDale! Where you been? Driving I guess! Cant believe that you scratched it up already...I got my moleskin, but I have no car...Should be on the way though. On a train in OH is my last word...
Old 7/21/06, 06:23 PM
GT Member

Yep, I have been driving. I have 3100 miles on the car, It's a month old today.
Old 7/21/06, 11:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
2 weeks? It can be as little as the first time your lower your window. All it takes is 1 grain of sand wedged in that wiper channel.

Window tinter's word vs the numerous members here in TMS that put out warnings on the need for felt/moleskin

Next time, take the advice of your peers.
Old 7/22/06, 11:34 AM
GT Member

I don't know if it's sand, dirt, the way they are made or what. I just can't believe they scratch like that. My last car had the windows tinted for 6 years, no scratches at all & it had 4 windows. I'm also gonna find out what kind of tint they used the first time. Oh well, like said above, I'm listening to my peers now. Oh by the way, I got the moleskin strips in today.
Old 7/22/06, 11:35 AM
Cobra Member

I took the tinters on their word, and so far so good. They did say that if it scratches up, they'll redo it for free. So, I won't worry- for now.
Old 7/25/06, 08:43 AM
GT Member

On my way to the tint shop this morning, I thought I'd stop at the Ford Dealership I got the car from to see if they had any Idea as to why the tints were scratching. The service advisor said they would have to have the car all day, & then started telling me that they would have to see if "I" got any sand or dirt in the window assy, then they would have to see if the tinters messed anything up when they tinted this windows the first time. He also said that they have not seen this problem before. I almost laughed right in his face. So right now, the windows are getting stripped & then retinted then the mole skin is going on.
Laters
Old 7/25/06, 11:45 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the link! Haven't done tint yet (Almost 2 years old-what am I waiting for??) but will get this kit. Also, Gasp-horrors!! Acuras and M-B's have this issue too? Say it isn't so-I thought those makes were supposed to be perfect?!?!?!
Old 7/25/06, 09:25 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tiberius1701
Thanks for the link! Haven't done tint yet (Almost 2 years old-what am I waiting for??) but will get this kit. Also, Gasp-horrors!! Acuras and M-B's have this issue too? Say it isn't so-I thought those makes were supposed to be perfect?!?!?!
2 yrs no tint???? I would be a piece of well done bacon w/out it here!
and the tint thing gets cured with moleskin. Tell the ford dealer to go **** himself
Old 7/26/06, 05:53 PM
GT Member

Ok, yesterday 7-25 the tint shop stripped the side windows for the scratching & retinted both doors. They look good. This evening 7-26, I took the plunge & removed the wiper channel to install the MoleSkin Strips. It took about 90 minutes cause I was being real careful & I couldn't fine 1 **** screw, it was hidden behind a false plate behind the door lever. after I found that torx 30 screw the door panel lifted up & away fron the wiper channel starting from the front of the door. Then I just lifted the wiper channel off the door starting from the rear of the door. You Won't believe the CRAP that was on the wiper channel and stuck to the glass below the wiper. Well, That's it for now, only time will tell if it helps, from what I've read & been told, I sure hope it does.
Old 7/29/06, 12:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Are the MoleSkin Strips being added to the factory channels or is this part a complete replacement???

and had to do this ...

Old 7/29/06, 05:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by GtStallion51
Are the MoleSkin Strips being added to the factory channels or is this part a complete replacement???
They are being adhered on to the wiper channels..

Check out these links doing the same thing with felt...The thought process is that the moleskin is supposed to adhere better in high heat conditions..

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...light=tacobill

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dperus...eltinstall.htm
Old 7/30/06, 12:59 PM
Cobra Member

I might be swithing to mole skin.... my flet is melting in this Texas Heat!!!
Old 7/30/06, 03:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I ordered the mole skin also. Windows are already scratched up pretty bad (since Oct 05). Gonna swing by the dealer and see what they say. I'm in Germany so they don't have much experience with this car.
Old 7/30/06, 03:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good luck with that in Germany. All the dealers here in the States claim they have never heard of such a problem. Hopefully the dealers over there have some better customer service. My service mgr actually replaced my tint and then got chewed out for it from his boss.
Old 7/30/06, 03:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I don't have tint yet, so I'm shooting for window replacements since it is quite noticable on the glass. If not, oh well, but it's worth a shot.
Old 7/30/06, 03:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

Ahh ok, you might actually get somewhere with that. Keep us updated if you don't mind. We might able to use that info.
Old 7/30/06, 08:15 PM
V6 Member

IndyDale

I live in Greenwood In, where did you get you tint done, what % and if you don't mind what was the cost?
Old 7/31/06, 04:18 AM
GT Member

I got them tinted @ Stewart Design. They're located on Brookville Rd, just past Franklin Rd. I got 35% sides & 20% back. Also if you get them tinted, DO NOT roll them down until you get & install the MoleSkin Strips on the inside sill wipes.
Old 7/31/06, 06:43 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by WuTimeUT
I might be swithing to mole skin.... my flet is melting in this Texas Heat!!!
X2

I might have to order up that moleskin as well if it really does hold against the heat.

Quick Reply: Window Re-Tint & Ordering MoleSkin